Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ Penn State - 01/02/22 @ 4:00 on BTN

I’m not giving up hope just yet. We could very easily be 13-0 right now. Two one-possession losses and a collapse at Wisky that should’ve been a win. This team has enough talent, they just haven’t clicked yet.

IF, massive IF, we start doing somethings above average we could be middle of the pack in the Big 1.o. That 10-3 record is against a really weak schedule.

We give up wide open looks, our wings are slow and over help, we don’t rebound, we don’t play hard, we don’t play smart, we don’t run offense, we don’t get good looks for our good shooters, our bad shooters take contested shots, our good shooters try to do things they’re not good. Other than that we’re kind of solid.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

5 minutes ago, maharkn said:

How did we not get Stewart and leal on the court during the last free throws.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

OMG!!!!!!!!!!  How is Stewart even in an IU uniform????? I could understand using his shooting on a team that is loaded and to help spread the floor at times. Not on this team, that has almost nothing. I can't believe no one ever talks about this. I guess because they are so obsessed with having shooting! If he is playing a lot of minutes, it needs to be somewhere like IUPUI or Evansville!!!! Unbeleivable!

Woodson just as much said no grit tonight particularly from Trayce which he said he was going to make a point that he knows that -5 rebounds from our biggest guy is unacceptable!

Maybe Woody could implement an offense that put players in position to excel.

This wasn’t TJDs first subpar effort game. When your best player isn’t playing hard the rest of the team follows. Weird. Why wouldn’t he address this earlier in the season. I guess he looked good going half speed against weak competition.

Bad loss. Bad team. This is now where IU is. IU is in the grouping of PSU, Minn, Neb, Rutgers and Northwestern. Lower expectations exponentially and maybe we won't be as disappointed?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, kreigh8 said:

Give up 11 3's only hit 4 ourselves. Archie ball recipe still in full effect

That’s what we should expect. I know I’ve already said it once in this thread but this team was still playing Archie’s offense in mid-November. A month and a half of practices limited in duration by the NCAA isn’t enough time to implement a brand new system.

Sure, Woodson should receive some criticism for waiting that long, but he isn’t stupid. He knows this team doesn’t have the scorers to run anyone off the court. With this group of players, we have to be really good on the defensive end to stay in games and that’s what he chose to focus on.

1 minute ago, Bigred3588 said:

That’s what we should expect. I know I’ve already said it once in this thread but this team was still playing Archie’s offense in mid-November. A month and a half of practices limited in duration by the NCAA isn’t enough time to implement a brand new system.

Sure, Woodson should receive some criticism for waiting that long, but he isn’t stupid. He knows this team doesn’t have the scorers to run anyone off the court. With this group of players, we have to be really good on the defensive end to stay in games and that’s what he chose to focus on.

That's fair, but at the same time our defense wasn't that great tonight. Penn St had plenty of open 3's tonight. They definitely hit some tough contested looks, but there were plenty of open 3's with no red uniforms around

3 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

This wasn’t TJDs first subpar effort game. When your best player isn’t playing hard the rest of the team follows. Weird. Why wouldn’t he address this earlier in the season. I guess he looked good going half speed against weak competition.

Effort has been an issue all year, I doubt it'll suddenly be addressed if it wasn't addressed after costing us against Syracuse and Wisconsin.

4 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Coaches have been trying to get TJD effort  more consistent since high school.    It was an issue in high school.  It cost him his 5 star status for some services.  Maybe he is who he is?    

Just now, BtownStrength said:

Awful loss. Decent amount of season left but we are not a good team right now. P Stew gives us absolutely nothing. Our guards as a whole are abysmal. 

Guard play is a desperate need. Hate to look ahead to having JHS, but he might solve some of the guard play issues, but will we have any bigs on the roster when he gets on campus? Back to the Crean roster mismanagement? Tough time to be an IU fan

8 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I mean isn’t he supposed to fix that?

I think he was hoping he did with X based off Kenya Hunters recommendation, but X’s decision making and game IQ totally suck!  This team will go once X figured it out and that may not be this season.  

Also, TJD looks the same as he did last year when he plays against bigger and stronger players, doesn’t finish well.  And the two open looks that he had from outside, he didn’t hit.  He had a crucial miss on the right side of the basket in which he was wide open but missed it badly because he shot it left handed and if he would have used his right hand, it would have been a better angle.  He still is left hand dominate and not consistently hitting outside shots!

That's fair, but at the same time our defense wasn't that great tonight. Penn St had plenty of open 3's tonight. They definitely hit some tough contested looks, but there were plenty of open 3's with no red uniforms around

Our defense hasn’t really been that great all season. We faced teams that couldn’t throw it in the ocean. It inflated our defensive numbers. Against even decent competition we’re going to struggle.

Kopp and Parker are negative defenders. When they’re not putting up numbers on offense they’re costing us. Neither are the kind of players to consistently get their own shot on offense. We run very little to get them looks.

Yet, here we are trying to run (or not run) the same offense. It doesn’t work.

Just now, kreigh8 said:

Guard play is a desperate need. Hate to look ahead to having JHS, but he might solve some of the guard play issues, but will we have any bigs on the roster when he gets on campus? Back to the Crean roster mismanagement? Tough time to be an IU fan

Yeah we will need a solid post presence from the transfer portal to balance next year's roster, assuming Trayce and Race are gone. I have a bad feeling we will struggle again unless Duncomb develops. 

Coaches have been trying to get TJD effort  more consistent since high school.    It was an issue in high school.  It cost him his 5 star status for some services.  Maybe he is who he is?    
I do remember you saying this and have always kept in the back of my mind. Have seen it often and it seems to be when things aren't going well for him personally.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

At least this season, TJD's effort meets his level of success early on. Similar to Xavier's irrational confidence if he hits early. If TJD misses an early bunny or two, he goes AWOL for the rest of the half, and the team seems to ignore him when that is the case until Coach has a 10-15 minute halftime to center TJD and the team's focus to feed him.