Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

RaceToTheTop

The Golf Thread

Love this! I'm an 11 index, still haven't broken 80 with 3 rounds at 80. I game apex irons, TM Sim2 Driver / 5wood, and play TP5s. Clubs from 150/180/200 are 9i / 7i / 5i. 

Should add in favorite golf course that you've played - mine has to be Royal County Down in Northern Ireland!

For me:

1.  Calloway Marvik Max irons 4-9, pw,, sw, king cobra 5 wood, Nike 23 degree hybrid, Lazrus 60 degree wedge, Mazel chipper, Taylor made ghost putter.  Alternate between Nike Covert driver and a PXG 810 driver which I am still getting used to.

2.  Bridgestone E-12.  Personally the pay off in price going above that model isn’t worth it.

3.  The Marvik max irons have added a lot of length to my irons;  hit 9 iron from 150, 180 is a 6 iron, 200 is a 4 iron.

4.  Lowest nine ever is a 34 on a par 35;  have been under par twice, the other time was 35 on a par 36 where I bogeyed the last hole.  Lowest 18 is 77 on two occasions, both par 72.  On one of the 77s I had a string of birdie-eagle-par-birdie-birdie.

5.  I don’t play as much as I used to but did join a league this year.  At my peak I was averaging 85 with an 11 handicap.  Currently averaging closer to 90 with good rounds under 90 and bad ones over.

Favorite courses I’ve played in Indiana:

Player’s Club at Woodland Trails in Muncie

Sand Creek in Chesterton

Cheasepeake Run in North Judson is a really nice under the radar track

Swan Lake in Plymouth

Outside of Indiana, a course I love for sentimental reasons is Petrifying Springs near Racine, Wisconsin.  My son and I drive up y to o Milwaukee once a year, play golf there and then go to a Brewers game.

ok this is an awesome thread. 

1. I generally switch around the driver as I havent been able to pick one that I flat out love yet my 3 wood is a ping, as is my putter. I use taylor made irons, and wedges as well as hybrids. 

2. I enjoy the calloway super soft golf balls 

3. lowest score is a 38 on a 32 (donald ross) and an 85 on 18 (im not very good lol) at kellers crossing in makanda Illinois

4. favorite courses in Indiana are the donald Ross course in French lick, stonecrest outside of Bedford, and I really liked the lucas oil course right outside of Indy

my wife is a golf addict but she was a volunteer in Indy for the golf Expo and won 5 stay and plays in the volunteer raffle so we had the good fortune of getting to play a bunch of courses for free. 

no hole in one's. I got really close at kellers crossing on the 12th hole par 3. if anyone is ever close to Carbondale it is a really fun course. easy to play and the staff are really friwndly and super helpful. 

1.  What clubs are in your bag?

Titleist everything - 915D3 Driver with Diamana D+ White shaft, 915FD, 716 AP2 irons, Vokey SM5 60, 56, 52, 48 degree wedges

2.  What balls do you play?

Titleist

3.  What club do you hit from 150?  180?  200?

Varies with conditions and hole location (flat lie, no wind, no elevation change)

150 - PW or soft 9, 180 - smooth 7, 200 - hard 6 or smooth 5

4.  What is your lowest nine ever?  Lowest 18?

lowest 9 - 32 (par 36) on multiple occasions, lowest 18 - 65 (par 72) on multiple occasions (was course record)

lowest during competition 9 - 32, 18 - 67

5.  Average score/handicap?

I've played maybe 4 times in the last 6 years shooting a 78 my first round after not playing for about 5 years. I would guesstimate my handicap is around 6-8.

My lowest, I carried a +2 handicap for much of one summer. Sounds great until you are consistently facing the other teams "A" player    who is around an 12-16 handicap and is having one of their better days.

6.  Hole in ones?

Never, I've destroyed a cup, with the ball not staying, (competition) and lipped out, barely missing the chance at a car (scramble)

7.  Favorite courses?

Ko'olau Golf Club (hardest), Hawaii Prince, Royal Kunia Country Club, Turtle Bay (Palmer course), Mamala Bay Golf Course, Kaneohe Klipper Golf Course (President Obama's choice on Oahu)

1. Ping I-2 irons. A Cleveland driver a buddy gave me because it’s “forgiving.” A Cleveland hybrid 3 rescue club. Pretty sure the putter is a Wilson. 

2. I play with whatever balls I find in the woods while I’m looking for my ball. I did get gifted some CostCo balls once from a father-in-law that wanted better for his daughter. 

3. Rescue club. Rescue club. Rescue club. 

4. Maybe the real golf score is the friends we made along the way. 

5. Kinda rude question tbh. I get my money’s worth

6. I prefer holes that dogleg right. Dramatically. Poor luck finding a pin location that aligns with my excellent tee shots. 

7. I went to a bachelor party in Miami. The bell hop gave us a cigar that helped me time travel holes 3-16 at the Miami Beach Golf Club. Also beat the aforementioned father-in-law on a few holes at Kiawah. These are the memories that make me a wealthy soul. 

1.  I have Callaway Big Bertha clubs.  I got them for free 

2.  Mixed balls grab bag from Walmart.  When I run out I tell the clubhouse that I need to rent balls.  They always look at me like I'm crazy until I explain that I'm going to pay for some balls from them, then I'm going to hit them all into the woods or water, then they're going to fish them out and sell them again.  Isn't that just renting?

3.  4 iron.  For all.

4.  Score?  Man I don't know.  Everybody I play with that keeps score just cheats anyway.

5.  I did get a hole in one once.  It was a 165 yard par three, but they were redoing the greens so that made it about a 130 yard hole.  I hit the flag and it dropped right in.

4 minutes ago, Josh said:

1.  I have Callaway Big Bertha clubs.  I got them for free 

2.  Mixed balls grab bag from Walmart.  When I run out I tell the clubhouse that I need to rent balls.  They always look at me like I'm crazy until I explain that I'm going to pay for some balls from them, then I'm going to hit them all into the woods or water, then they're going to fish them out and sell them again.  Isn't that just renting?

3.  4 iron.  For all.

4.  Score?  Man I don't know.  Everybody I play with that keeps score just cheats anyway.

5.  I did get a hole in one once.  It was a 165 yard par three, but they were redoing the greens so that made it about a 130 yard hole.  I hit the flag and it dropped right in.

Josh let’s go golfing together

I do my best golfing after 3 Bud Lights and a bump of whatever someone's bag flask has is holding. Great scramble partner because I've been known to hole out from somewhere I have no business holing out from after 2 of those aforementioned Bud Lights. I, too, count score by the amount of friends I make along the way. 

I routinely score between 100 and 110. That incorporates a five putt per hole maximum before I ****** up the ball and call it some ugly names.

55-60 swings and about 45 putts. I don't have the yips, just horrendous depth perception. Tilt-ey greens make me dizzy. 

Never a hole in one ... an inch away on three or four occasions.

10 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

I routinely score between 100 and 110. That incorporates a five putt per hole maximum before I ****** up the ball and call it some ugly names.

55-60 swings and about 45 putts. I don't have the yips, just horrendous depth perception. Tilt-ey greens make me dizzy. 

Never a hole in one ... an inch away on three or four occasions.

Something for you to try on putts -- try putting cross handed, especially on long putts.  It's much harder to be off distance wise because you typically have to swing harder to get it to go a longer distance.  I would not say it's more accurate for people who putt decently, but if you struggle with accuracy as well it's a decent method because it's much harder to pull putts.

13 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

My lowest, I carried a +2 handicap for much of one summer. Sounds great until you are consistently facing the other teams "A" player    who is around an 12-16 handicap and is having one of their better days.

Damn, +2 is unreal.  Don't think I've golfed with anyone below scratch.  Yeah, league/competition golf would be tough to play at +2 because for you it isn't about what you shoot, it's about what your opponent shoots since his scores are more likely to have big swings.  I play in a nine hole league and have had to play matches where I was giving more than 9 strokes on a side and we played match play......that was a losing proposition.

Damn, +2 is unreal.  Don't think I've golfed with anyone below scratch.  Yeah, league/competition golf would be tough to play at +2 because for you it isn't about what you shoot, it's about what your opponent shoots since his scores are more likely to have big swings.  I play in a nine hole league and have had to play matches where I was giving more than 9 strokes on a side and we played match play......that was a losing proposition.

I typically got in 27+ holes, an hour on the range, and some putting everyday.

I won the club championship the year at even but should have been a few under par. On 18 of the first day, I made a bet I’d be at the 150 bush or closer on the tee. I hit a 350 yard drive right under the left 150 yard bush. Won the bet, bogeyed the hole. It’s a really easy par 5 that I should have at least birdied.

It’s tough giving that many shots. This past summer I played a round with a few friends who are around 12-18 handicap. I had a string to start the back where I won the first 6-7 holes then birdied 18 to win too. I love the competition even if my game isn’t what it used to be.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

4 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I typically got in 27+ holes, an hour on the range, and some putting everyday.

I won the club championship the year at even but should have been a few under par. On 18 of the first day, I made a bet I’d be at the 150 bush or closer on the tee. I hit a 350 yard drive right under the left 150 yard bush. Won the bet, bogeyed the hole. It’s a really easy par 5 that I should have at least birdied.

It’s tough giving that many shots. This past summer I played a round with a few friends who are around 12-18 handicap. I had a string to start the back where I won the first 6-7 holes then birdied 18 to win too. I love the competition even if my game isn’t what it used to be.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I was playing 27+ holes per day back when I was in high school....quite a few years ago.  As a really small, scrawny kid, I had to really work at my game because the distance wasn't there.  Most holes I played in one day was 63 -- and I was walking and carrying my bag.

Nowadays, at age 53, my drives max out at 250-260 in normal conditions and more typically are in the 230 range.  The PXG 810 I can definitely hit farther than that but still working on it because I have a tendency to pull it.  Ball flies off the club head, though, and PXG has really brought their prices down.