Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Northern Kentucky - 12/22/21 @ 7:00 on BTN

1 hour ago, HoosierAloha said:

Ummm... I'm not sure we were watching the same game. Did we win easily? Yes, that's not in doubt.

Could TJD score another 10 per game in situations like this if Woody would play him? He scored 21, in 29 minutes. That's ~2 points above his average in 3 fewer minutes. If he would have played his season average in minutes he would have scored another 2 points at the pace he was on last night. To get 10 points, on that pace, he would have had to play ~42 minutes last night.

Player ------- season mpg ----- NKU minutes

TJD              31. 9 mpg             29 minutes

Race            26.6 mpg             25 minutes

XJ                23.8 mpg             28 minutes

Kopp           25.9 mpg              25 minutes

Stewart      23.7 mpg              8 minutes

Bates          20.1 mpg             15 minutes

JG               12.2 mpg             14 minutes

Rob             19 mpg                18 minutes

KL                10.6 mpg            4 minutes

Leal             12.5 mpg            22 minutes

Durr             7.8 mpg              9 minutes

I'm not seeing where he's teaching JG and Durr, they received an extra 3 minutes combined more than they average. I saw the second unit come in and struggle to value the ball while giving up open looks, the same open looks that were there in the first half. NKU went on a little run and Woody had to come back with the starters. I would have felt way better about this game had we continued to build on the lead. We played about even with NKU after jumping out to a 21-5 lead. Even with our second unit in there we should have built on the lead, even by a little.

I think when TJD came out in the 2nd half, the intention was for him to be finished for the game. Those extra minutes came because of the lack of lead maintenance by the bench.

12 minutes ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

I think when TJD came out in the 2nd half, the intention was for him to be finished for the game. Those extra minutes came because of the lack of lead maintenance by the bench.

Right, we need to figure this our sooner rather than later. The second unit needs to play better (unlikely), we need to mix time between starters and reserves better (likely), or play the starters more minutes (unlikely). We got comfortable just going through the motions after getting up 20+. That's partly on the players and partly on the coaching staff. It would have been nice to leave TJD on the bench to close the game but after you give up a 22 point lead against Wiscy and start to see your comfortable lead slip away against a not-so-good NKU team, you have to put your stud back in the game to stem the tide.

9 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Right, we need to figure this our sooner rather than later. The second unit needs to play better (unlikely), we need to mix time between starters and reserves better (likely), or play the starters more minutes (unlikely). We got comfortable just going through the motions after getting up 20+. That's partly on the players and partly on the coaching staff. It would have been nice to leave TJD on the bench to close the game but after you give up a 22 point lead against Wiscy and start to see your comfortable lead slip away against a not-so-good NKU team, you have to put your stud back in the game to stem the tide.

2nd unit is something I've always hated about the NBA. I think it might take a bit (hopefully it comes) for Coach Woodson to never have a lineup before the 5 min mark of the 2nd half that doesn't have 1 or 2 starters, unless foul trouble or other things dictate it.

Few teams have a 2nd 5 that can extend a lead against a team trying to come back, if you give them the last 10 min of each half, until crunch time.

5 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Second unit young guys got comfortable going through the motions which is why they are on the second unit.  Jordan and Bates struggled during the last 10 min stretch.   Jordan giving up 2 pt on a missed FT and trying to force passes to Durr instead of the cross pass to a wide open Stewart in the corner.   Bates on D was going through the motion on some of his close outs on Faulkner and lack of box out on one of his misses led to 2 FT for Faulkner.   Faulkner earlier 3’s came against late close outs on TJD.   I would guess when IU gets into B1G play you won’t see the bench get as many minutes. When you are trying to make your first ncaa tournament in 5 years I’m rolling with my  horses which I feel will give them the best chance to make the tournament.   Teams play with a short bench all the time.   I don’t trust the second unit enough to justify extended minutes for most of them 

4 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

7 min to go should of been when Faulkner fouled out of the game.  Totally undercut Jordan but in a 23 pt game I’m guessing the refs knew he had 4 and called it the other way.  

I think one of Faulkner's fouls in the first half was a "Hall of Calls" foul. I can't remember the exact play but I believe it was with TJD going back up.

3 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I think one of Faulkner's fouls in the first half was a "Hall of Calls" foul. I can't remember the exact play but I believe it was with TJD going back up.

Maybe although the Hall of Calls have been less and less over the years.   That one at the 7 min mark is a foul every time on the defense.   Hard to believe this is the best home start for IU since 2016 I think they said 

Not much you can do about those last 2 3’s he hit that’s just a dude feeling it.   The earlier pts in the second half were the ones that were gotten by defensive breakdowns 

overall on the rewatch the first half defense was as good as advertised especially the first unit.   Second half had some breakdowns and the second unit was not good (besides Rob)  in any aspect of the game.  Rough half for the bench 

Just now, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Seeing Leal start was pretty awesome. And honestly, it didn't bother the team any. The smile on his face just made it better. That's a kid who has dreamed of that exact moment. I wouldn't mind him starting from here out. 

was a pretty cool moment and I am glad BTN showed it happen.

Although, if he does start I would much rather it be for Kopp than Stewart honestly.

18 hours ago, coonhounds said:

What you are saying is true. What is also true is this team struggles to string two good halves together and it has cost them twice so far this season. It is a real problem now

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

I didn't think they played bad in the second half

7 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

Maybe although the Hall of Calls have been less and less over the years.   That one at the 7 min mark is a foul every time on the defense.   Hard to believe this is the best home start for IU since 2016 I think they said 

Less and less is an understatement!  We probably get less home cooking than any team in the B10, IMO.  

I would say top 5 home cooking places in the B10:

1) Wisconsin 

2) Purdue 

3) Ohio State

4) Illinois 

5) MSU or Rutgers tie

This my opinion based on when they play against IU

Less and less is an understatement!  We probably get less home cooking than any team in the B10, IMO.  

I would say top 5 home cooking places in the B10:
1) Wisconsin 
2) Purdue 
3) Ohio State
4) Illinois 
5) MSU or Rutgers tie
This my opinion based on when they play against IU

I don’t think Northwestern, PSU, Nebrasketball, etc get as much home cooking as IU.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Finally got to experience Assembly Hall and the Hoosiers again since 2019!

one thing that I LOVED! Was when Woodson was walking out to the court, the camera and Jumbotron had the live video of him walking out. I’ve never seen that before with another IU coach. When Woodson walked out he got a major standing ovation. Very cool, made me buy into Woody even more.

As for the play, I thought it was a little lackluster. We did okay vs the Zone, TJD was TJD. I’m still worried about Parker and Kopp during big ten play. The boys deserve the Christmas break they are on now. Lots of room for improvement but we at least look better than last year. 

I have us at 20 wins. I’m starting to think it’s 18-21 area.