Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Northern Kentucky - 12/22/21 @ 7:00 on BTN

1 hour ago, DWB said:

Leal had 5 assists, and only 1 turnover...ran out the clock at the end of the game. I'm liking this kid...a lot!

He sees the floor well. At one point I saw him point to where the other guy should pass the ball.  

Love Trayce, really like Race…..

The rest? Meh…..

Kopp just can’t find his mojo. Playing terrible basketball. Even lost his shooting confidence. He isn’t Sasha Stefanovich.

Bates looks good. Needs to just raise his time and impact.

X has moments. Phin looks a little better but no where near a top level guard.

Stewart is a +++++++ shooter for 3. Offers next to nothing else.

Leal plays smart and moves the ball nicely but needs to shoot it better. Not really a playmaker yet. Gotta hit shots.

Lander, looks the part but defense still a major ???

Durr, ugh.

Geronimo flashes at times. Bad mitts. A little baby deer at times. Not ready yet.

I don’t know. Keep hoping some others step up to help Trayce. Not seeing it.

Our offense is simple. We need more playmakers in this system. Lack off ball movement.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

9 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

The rest? Meh…..

Kopp just can’t find his mojo. Playing terrible basketball. Even lost his shooting confidence. He isn’t Sasha Stefanovich.

Leal plays smart and moves the ball nicely but needs to shoot it better. Not really a playmaker yet. Gotta hit shots.

Durr, ugh.

Geronimo flashes at times. Bad mitts. A little baby deer at times. Not ready yet.

Our offense is simple. We need more playmakers in this system. Lack off ball movement.

Kind of harsh, but I can certainly see your point of view. CMW is doing about as much with this group as can be expected. When I look at the guys he has committed and the ones he is recruiting, I don't see many similarities to the team we have now. I think we have enough to beat about anyone in the conference on a given night. We can also lose to anyone on an off night. I think Kopp and Stewart are capable of more than we are currently getting and I think coach is trying to get that out of them. Durr is a big body with bad hands right now but will be useful in certain situations. What I don't expect is that Coach Woodson will put up with some of the stuff we have seen in the past few years. He has a presence that demands respect and he is clearly in charge of the program.

We gave up almost 50 points in a half to a reAlly bad team. That’s frustrating and hard to fathom how we can do so well in one half and follow it up with a dud or vice versa. How does that keep happening? 

It was ONLY 47.. on a night when the theme was “finish.” We got up big and coasted (went through the motions and got sloppy with the ball) while they started hitting (both contested and the same wide open looks they had in the first half).

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

10 hours ago, Hoosier DaDa said:

I know we are playing a cupcake, but man IU basketball is fun to watch again.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BtownBanners mobile app

I think our defense was smoke and mirrors in this game.  They seem to have a lot of open looks in the 1st half but just didn’t hit them.  It thought our defense played the same in the 2nd half but they just hit shots.  Maybe our defense really isn’t that good!  Wink, wink!

9 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

The rest? Meh…..

Durr, ugh.

I'm with you on this. Like someone else said here tonight. I'm to the point that I think I'd rather see Logan D over Durr. I mean, I know Logan is going to need to get stronger but he's got to potentially provide more than Durr. Right? Do we really know that we'll be sacrificing on the other end with Logan over Durr?

IMO, I don't think TJD needs to go anywhere after the year is over. I think right now Race fits playing in the league better than TJD. Just my 5 cents. He needs to get to where he is comfortable going over either shoulder and he's nowhere near that in year 3. However, It's good to see him really pick it up and play committed on the defensive end.

18 minutes ago, IU-DL said:

Thinking through the sloppy 2nd half, but I like what I see out of Woodson. He’s teaching a ton of lessons to these guys and figuring out who has the ability to step up. CMW doesn’t seem to like to run the score up on opponents as much as using a lead to build depth on the team. All the players seem to buy in; TJD could score another 10 per game in situations like this if CMW would play him, but he’s teaching others (Durr, JG, etc.). I love it. We could have won by 50 last night, but how does that help us grow? Hopefully, we'll understand this better come late Feb./early March.

Ummm... I'm not sure we were watching the same game. Did we win easily? Yes, that's not in doubt.

Could TJD score another 10 per game in situations like this if Woody would play him? He scored 21, in 29 minutes. That's ~2 points above his average in 3 fewer minutes. If he would have played his season average in minutes he would have scored another 2 points at the pace he was on last night. To get 10 points, on that pace, he would have had to play ~42 minutes last night.

Player ------- season mpg ----- NKU minutes

TJD              31. 9 mpg             29 minutes

Race            26.6 mpg             25 minutes

XJ                23.8 mpg             28 minutes

Kopp           25.9 mpg              25 minutes

Stewart      23.7 mpg              8 minutes

Bates          20.1 mpg             15 minutes

JG               12.2 mpg             14 minutes

Rob             19 mpg                18 minutes

KL                10.6 mpg            4 minutes

Leal             12.5 mpg            22 minutes

Durr             7.8 mpg              9 minutes

I'm not seeing where he's teaching JG and Durr, they received an extra 3 minutes combined more than they average. I saw the second unit come in and struggle to value the ball while giving up open looks, the same open looks that were there in the first half. NKU went on a little run and Woody had to come back with the starters. I would have felt way better about this game had we continued to build on the lead. We played about even with NKU after jumping out to a 21-5 lead. Even with our second unit in there we should have built on the lead, even by a little.

I will have to rewatch the game but the defense in the first half was really good.  Even if some of those shots missed by them were open shots you don’t hold a team to 14 pts in a half just by the other team missing shots.  The defense was a part of them missing.    That was there lowest output for a half.    Second half was going about how you would expect a blowout game to go up until the 10 min mark.   IU had a 28 pt lead at this point.  Things went south when IU didn’t block out on 2 missed FT and they scored a layup.   This was mostly with the second unit in if I’m remembering right.   Jordan has tons of potential but in extended minutes he shows how much further he has to go before the staff will feel comfortable with longer minutes.   Parker has a rough stretch in the second half as well. Hard to tell what effects getting benched did to his effort during that game.  
 It will be interesting to watch these last 10 minutes again to see how they were outscored by 10 

25 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Ummm... I'm not sure we were watching the same game. Did we win easily? Yes, that's not in doubt.

Could TJD score another 10 per game in situations like this if Woody would play him? He scored 21, in 29 minutes. That's ~2 points above his average in 3 fewer minutes. If he would have played his season average in minutes he would have scored another 2 points at the pace he was on last night. To get 10 points, on that pace, he would have had to play ~42 minutes last night.

Player ------- season mpg ----- NKU minutes

TJD              31. 9 mpg             29 minutes

Race            26.6 mpg             25 minutes

XJ                23.8 mpg             28 minutes

Kopp           25.9 mpg              25 minutes

Stewart      23.7 mpg              8 minutes

Bates          20.1 mpg             15 minutes

JG               12.2 mpg             14 minutes

Rob             19 mpg                18 minutes

KL                10.6 mpg            4 minutes

Leal             12.5 mpg            22 minutes

Durr             7.8 mpg              9 minutes

I'm not seeing where he's teaching JG and Durr, they received an extra 3 minutes combined more than they average. I saw the second unit come in and struggle to value the ball while giving up open looks, the same open looks that were there in the first half. NKU went on a little run and Woody had to come back with the starters. I would have felt way better about this game had we continued to build on the lead. We played about even with NKU after jumping out to a 21-5 lead. Even with our second unit in there we should have built on the lead, even by a little.

Thank you for sharing your opinion! Merry Christmas!

IMO Jordan really struggles with the second unit. He has to do too much and that is a little outside his game right now. I really wish Woody would play him more with the starting guards and Trayce/Race rather than Durr. He can then lock in on rebounding, playing defense, and hitting the open shot.

3 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

IMO Jordan really struggles with the second unit. He has to do too much and that is a little outside his game right now. I really wish Woody would play him more with the starting guards and Trayce/Race rather than Durr. He can then lock in on rebounding, playing defense, and hitting the open shot.

Agreed, at least 2 of his turnovers came when he was trying to dribble in traffic. That's not his game right now. Durr had some issues when he did the same. They both should be catching to make a move or passing it.

10 minutes ago, IU-DL said:

Thank you for sharing your opinion! Merry Christmas!

You're welcome, Merry Christmas to you, too!

The thing I did take from it was Woody learning his lesson from the Wiscy game. He didn't want to see a repeat of that lead evaporating in the last 10 minutes of the NKU. Still need to find a good combination of starters and bench players to grow or maintain the lead against poor competition.

51 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Agreed, at least 2 of his turnovers came when he was trying to dribble in traffic. That's not his game right now. Durr had some issues when he did the same. They both should be catching to make a move or passing it.

Neither Durr or Jordan have great hands -- Durr is a senior so it may be what he is; hoping Jordan's hands improve as the game slows down because he does some things very very well (guards all five positions, disrupts on the defensive end).

Durr gets me yelling at the tv screen a little, but I still realize that the presence of a true big for 5-10 minutes per game is a net positive. 

It is perfectly clear to me that Woody doesn't care about the bench hurting anyone's feelings, so if Duncomb was showing out in practice better than Durr we'd be seeing him instead of Durr. Durr hits free throws and switches well on defense. That's a worthwhile upside.

1 minute ago, Uspshoosier said:

Northern Kentucky in first 20 min -14 pts 

Northern Kentucky from 5:16 mark to the 3:33 mark in the second half- 12 pts 

That guy Faulkner got comfortable, and hit three threes in a very short stretch. The last two were heat check threes, and indeed, he was heat.

Our letdown for letting him get comfortable. Reminded me of how Farrakhan from Eastern Michigan got comfortable and hot on us in November.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

Neither Durr or Jordan have great hands -- Durr is a senior so it may be what he is; hoping Jordan's hands improve as the game slows down because he does some things very very well (guards all five positions, disrupts on the defensive end).

Durr gets me yelling at the tv screen a little, but I still realize that the presence of a true big for 5-10 minutes per game is a net positive. 

It is perfectly clear to me that Woody doesn't care about the bench hurting anyone's feelings, so if Duncomb was showing out in practice better than Durr we'd be seeing him instead. Durr hits free throws and switches well on defense. That's a worthwhile upside.

That was another issue I saw in the first half. Durr got stuck at the top of the defense switching on multiple DOHs. Didn't really hurt us against NKU but if we do that in the Big 1.o... that's going to cost us quite a few points.

JG needs the game to slow down. If/when he realizes that his physical talents can get him out of some trouble in the lane he'll take a giant leap forward. He seems to want to make the play before securing the ball. You could see the same in Oladipo at a similar stage in their careers. JG can afford that extra half beat or two before making his move. He'll get there. In the meantime, he needs to do what he does best in games and keep working on the other stuff in practice.

That foul on Faulkner when he fouled Koop on the corner 3 is 3 shots for the shooter 10/10 times.   You got to let the shooter land but yet in this case they called the foul after the shot and didn’t reward 3 shots.   Woody should of argued that one. Terrible call