Jump to content

Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

Point Guard Play: 2021-22

Recommended Posts

On 12/20/2021 at 9:48 PM, Hoosierfan2017 said:

He played in close games against St. John’s and Syracuse. He was a -1 against St John’s and a +1 against Syracuse. I don’t think he’s done anything to put the team at risk that other players haven’t done either. We were up 20 on EMU but then we’re only up 1 with two minutes left. We were up 22 on Wisconsin and then scored 17 points in the second half. Lander didn’t play at all in either game. The team hasn’t cratered when we’ve played him in close games. Maybe the staff doesn’t trust him in close games, I don’t know. I don’t think there’s a player on our team who I trust in close game situations, so lander doesn’t really stick out to me in that regard. 

I think his inability to get the team into the offense on the last possession of regulation against SoreExcuse is what put Lander in the doghouse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

I think his inability to get the team into the offense on the last possession of regulation against SoreExcuse is what put Lander in the doghouse.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner, winner chicken dinner!!!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

I think his inability to get the team into the offense on the last possession of regulation against SoreExcuse is what put Lander in the doghouse.

That would be a silly reason to bench him completely. Sure, it was a bad mistake on his part. But you can’t expect players to ever grow if you completely bench them for extended periods of time for a mistake. We’ve played four games since then. He’s racked up 3 DNPs and played 7 minutes against Merrimack.

I’m not sure the Syracuse game even explains him not playing because he didn’t play at all in that game either until the other two point guards fouled out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

That would be a silly reason to bench him completely. Sure, it was a bad mistake on his part. But you can’t expect players to ever grow if you completely bench them for extended periods of time for a mistake. We’ve played four games since then. He’s racked up 3 DNPs and played 7 minutes against Merrimack.

I’m not sure the Syracuse game even explains him not playing because he didn’t play at all in that game either until the other two point guards fouled out. 

Just so I have it correct you want Coach Woodson to go to Rob and say I know were 9-2 this year but after hearing about your last 3 years, seeing you this year I'm going to bench you for Lander. Even though he's not been very good this year but I'm going to try to develop him by playing him against the best competition to hope it works out for this year and the next 3 years. Thanks for what you have given IU basketball and I will try to play you if we're in a blowout or the other two foul out. Oh and by the way please keep being a senior leader in practice too. Is this what you would prefer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is he like in practice?

  • Is he a leader?
  • Is he vocal?
  • Does he practice with consistent intensity?
  • Does he get teammates into the right spots?
  • Does he shoot it well in drills?
  • Does he accept coaching willingly, and improve on areas that the coaches identify?

Yes, the Syracuse end-of-game decision was a bad moment, but the practice factors are the real deal deciding elements.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Just so I have it correct you want Coach Woodson to go to Rob and say I know were 9-2 this year but after hearing about your last 3 years, seeing you this year I'm going to bench you for Lander. Even though he's not been very good this year but I'm going to try to develop him by playing him against the best competition to hope it works out for this year and the next 3 years. Thanks for what you have given IU basketball and I will try to play you if we're in a blowout or the other two foul out. Oh and by the way please keep being a senior leader in practice too. Is this what you would prefer?

I’ve wanted him to play Lander from the very beginning of the season. 20 mpg during the cupcake portion of the schedule to get him adjusted to the college game and ready for the conference season. Instead, he didn’t play Lander at all in the first game, and has played him sparingly since then. Rob Phinisee hasn’t exactly set the world on fire during his minutes either. He’s shooting 25% from the field, 25% from 3, and 40% from the free throw line. It’s not like we’re talking about benching a far superior player to develop a freshman. I’d argue that Phinisee isn’t even a better player at this point in time. If I did I’d want to play Phinisee because I’d think playing him helps the program more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I’ve wanted him to play Lander from the very beginning of the season. 20 mpg during the cupcake portion of the schedule to get him adjusted to the college game and ready for the conference season. Instead, he didn’t play Lander at all in the first game, and has played him sparingly since then. Rob Phinisee hasn’t exactly set the world on fire during his minutes either. He’s shooting 25% from the field, 25% from 3, and 40% from the free throw line. It’s not like we’re talking about benching a far superior player to develop a freshman. I’d argue that Phinisee isn’t even a better player at this point in time. 

I'm not saying your wrong, but hearing the staff talk about Phinisee and talk Lander, you can tell they think they are two different players. Fife just on the Mike Woodson radio show the other night was praising Phinisee for playing his best game this season at the Crossroads, talking about him completely shutting down Cassius Winston a few years ago, and trying to get him to be that guy again. Fife said something along the lines of we don't need Rob to score to be the leader we want him to be, just be a shutdown defender. When you hear them talk about Lander it's he's coming along slowly but doing everything he's asked. I do think there is going to be a time that Lander's # is called this Big Ten season and we will see how he responds. Is he pouting because he's not playing, or is he still fully engaged ready to go. Several bench players have said that during games you better be paying attention during timeouts whether you are in the game or not because Coach Woodson doesn't like repeating himself. I think that is what bothered him about Lander in the Syracuse game. He wasn't ready to play. I want him to play whoever gets us to the tourney. I'll worry about next year then. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I’ve wanted him to play Lander from the very beginning of the season. 20 mpg during the cupcake portion of the schedule to get him adjusted to the college game and ready for the conference season. Instead, he didn’t play Lander at all in the first game, and has played him sparingly since then. Rob Phinisee hasn’t exactly set the world on fire during his minutes either. He’s shooting 25% from the field, 25% from 3, and 40% from the free throw line. It’s not like we’re talking about benching a far superior player to develop a freshman. I’d argue that Phinisee isn’t even a better player at this point in time. If I did I’d want to play Phinisee because I’d think playing him helps the program more. 

Lander wasn’t playing hardly at all in exhibition games against BC Mega.  Which is the more likely scenario:  Woodson doesn’t view Lander as contributing to this time by his play in practice or Woodson and all the assistants simply want to make things harder on the team?

I guess I don’t get your desire for Lander to play 20 minutes from the beginning  based on what you saw from him last season and not seeing him in practice this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/22/2021 at 6:42 PM, brumdog45 said:

Lander wasn’t playing hardly at all in exhibition games against BC Mega.  Which is the more likely scenario:  Woodson doesn’t view Lander as contributing to this time by his play in practice or Woodson and all the assistants simply want to make things harder on the team?

I guess I don’t get your desire for Lander to play 20 minutes from the beginning  based on what you saw from him last season and not seeing him in practice this year.

He’s wanting to play Lander because he was a former 5 star player and he’s afraid he’ll transfer after the season.

I know Phinesee hasn’t played well all season but I’ve season improvement.  Every time Lander gets into the game, he doesn’t look good.  Not much improvement that I’ve seen.

The coaches see him everyday in practice, that’s where the improvement should come and they must not be seeing it either 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No one needs my take but here it is anyway:

1. In sum, KL has seen only spot minutes because defense, TOs/decision-making, and fouls need improvement.

2. Rob had a pretty rough stretch and coupled with decent-to-good pressure performance against SJU and Cuse made me think it was time to switch roles, but Rob’s been better lately.

3. Some of KL’s defensive limitations are size/strength related, which is fine as he develops. But not all of the problems are there.

4. CMW has been pretty true to his word that defense is valued in playing-time decisions. I think obviously it’s a cost/benefit analysis; you’d play Steph Curry over Tony Allen all day. But the benefit on offense from KL doesn’t yet outweigh the cost on defense.

5. I think those that have questioned KL’s ranking or potential are telling in themselves. He has a ways to go, clearly. He may never reach it. But he can and has helped this team this year, and he could blossom in time.

6. In general I’d like to see more staggering of the starters with bench units and I assume we’ll see that as we enter conference play. Rob will benefit from more time with players who can score around him.

7. I’ve been encouraged how X has responded to poor performances and coaching. He needs to quit the dependable, preventable early TO or two but he’s clearly the best option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×