Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

Point Guard Play: 2021-22

27 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Phinisee has been a contributing player during his career though, no? He hasn’t been what we’ve hoped for, but he’s had some moments and been a good defender. Part of the problem I think is that he’s been asked to do too much on some bad IU teams during his career. The 15-20 minutes off the bench he’s been playing this year is probably what his role should’ve been all along, but we’ve lacked point guards so he was our lead pg from day one.

I think it’s a big reason why I’m so frustrated with him as a player. We’ve lost so many games over the past three years because of bad guard play, and he’s been the lead guard. He’s a backup who’s been asked to be the starter for too long. So now that he’s finally a back up I’m just over him as a player because of the previous three years. 

It really just comes down to one’s expectations for a player ranked like him. Me personally, I don’t really expect them to become studs, so when they do I’m pleasantly surprised. 

He has been a contributing player but from my own personal scout and that of the ones that do this for a living he hasn’t lived up to what was projected from him.    Thats all I’m trying to get across here is that even though he was ranked where he was he was projected to be a lead guard for IU especially has an upper class man.   It was either Bossi when he was at rivals or snow at 247  that wrote whichever program landed Rob they weren’t getting a flashy guard but they were getting a guard that will win lots of game for his team in the B1G or ACC.  That didn’t happen.  I remember asking Corey Evans in Twitter Tuesday if IU would keep recruiting Garland since they had Rob committed and his comment back was something like they would still recruit him but IU was the big winner of the weekend by securing Robs commitment and should feel good about their future.   Kind of sad to look back and read about how set up IU was going to be from the 2018 class.   I guess the takeaway is that fans expectations for kids ranked in that area are different then the scouts expectations they rank them in that area 

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

This is one thing I totally 100% agree with. Don't boo our own players. We're better than that as fans. 

100% agree.  If I was a recruit in the stands watching that game, I would not want to go to that school.  I do think we haven’t consistently won for so long, the negativity has now anchored into the fans during games.

13 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

100% agree.  If I was a recruit in the stands watching that game, I would not want to go to that school.  I do think we haven’t consistently won for so long, the negativity has now anchored into the fans during games.

Not a good look of course!  But, I love Woodson jumping on it and defending his guys.  That will go a long way for current and future players (recruits) knowing he will not tolerate it.

I'm a golfer and there use to be a 440 yard par 4 on a course I'd play occasionally that had water running in front of it.  Hit a 230 drive and you were left with 210 to the green.  I could go for the green on my second shot and try the hero play, but quite often it would end up in the water and I'd be hitting my fourth shot afterwards.

The problem is that in trying to play the par, I'd make big numbers.  The key was to play the hole, not the par.  The proper play was to hit it up short of the water where par was still possible.  The odds of making birdie with a hero shot over the water were pretty nonexistent anyway.

IMO, playing Lander because of his rating is playing the par and not the hole.  While we've heard that he is capable of the hero shot because of his ranking, there hasn't been any proof of it since he's been here.  

3 hours ago, Chris007 said:

This is one thing I totally 100% agree with. Don't boo our own players. We're better than that as fans. 

Hopefully it was more of a thing that occurred in Indianapolis for fans that don't get to see IU at Assembly Hall and were way too invested in the game.

36 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

I'm a golfer and there use to be a 440 yard par 4 on a course I'd play occasionally that had water running in front of it.  Hit a 230 drive and you were left with 210 to the green.  I could go for the green on my second shot and try the hero play, but quite often it would end up in the water and I'd be hitting my fourth shot afterwards.

The problem is that in trying to play the par, I'd make big numbers.  The key was to play the hole, not the par.  The proper play was to hit it up short of the water where par was still possible.  The odds of making birdie with a hero shot over the water were pretty nonexistent anyway.

IMO, playing Lander because of his rating is playing the par and not the hole.  While we've heard that he is capable of the hero shot because of his ranking, there hasn't been any proof of it since he's been here.  

What limited you to a 230 yard drive? The hazards or the ability to hit it further, while still maintaining the accuracy? Go big or go home!

I guess this means I'm for playing Lander?

3 hours ago, ArchieNoMo said:

Not a good look of course!  But, I love Woodson jumping on it and defending his guys.  That will go a long way for current and future players (recruits) knowing he will not tolerate it.

If that ever happens at Assembly Hall, I can see either him or Dolson address on the PA. Unfortunately, this was in Indy and we don’t have control of the PA but it could have been Purdue or ND fans

2 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

What limited you to a 230 yard drive? The hazards or the ability to hit it further, while still maintaining the accuracy? Go big or go home!

I guess this means I'm for playing Lander?

Physics usually limited me to 230.  :)

wasn’t the point, though.  I’m also of the opinion that Lander isn’t a go big player.  

On his show today DD got on the fans booing as well.  He said that is not how IU fans act and it is beneath IU fans.  He puts some of the blame with bring in more out of state students especially east coast kids.  He thinks those people doesn't know what being an IU fan is and that attitude towards IU is not good.

37 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

On his show today DD got on the fans booing as well.  He said that is not how IU fans act and it is beneath IU fans.  He puts some of the blame with bring in more out of state students especially east coast kids.  He thinks those people doesn't know what being an IU fan is and that attitude towards IU is not good.

I would say it wasn’t out of state students booing in the crossroads classic.  Those kids are at home.

40 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Someone should let Dan know that the out-of-state kids were not at the Crossroads classic in Indy. He gets so stuck on one thing, it's been east coast kids at IU being bad fans for years now. We let in just as many Indiana kids these days as out-of-state kids. 

10 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

All the speculation about Lander and this today.

Khristian Lander @khristianlander

“And I see I got’em all debatin on me”

Khristain, if you are reading this thread, know that regardless of what side of that fence we are on, we all are rooting for you to play well.

There are two ways that people can react when things aren’t going well — and one of them is to prove your detractors wrong.  I’d love it if he did that.

4 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

Hopefully it was more of a thing that occurred in Indianapolis for fans that don't get to see IU at Assembly Hall and were way too invested in the game.

This is my read on the situation as well.  Indy attracts a different breed of Hoosier fan, e.g. Archie booing during the B1G tourney.  They are just a bit more 'feisty.'