Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

Point Guard Play: 2021-22

4 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we are one PG short for the rest of the season. Lots of rumors from southern Indiana that someone is leaving the program. 

As long as we get Gallo back as a backup pg option we'll be fine.

Over the weekend I watched some of the Montverde vs IMG game. It may be a cliche, but "Help. Is. On. The. Way."

Help's name is Jalen Hood-Schifino. And at a young age, he is a grown man point guard.

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

I don't have any great insight here, other then the old Parcells line, "you are what your record says you are". 

Phinisee is in year 4 and has proven over that time that he is not a good shooter. He's a below 36% shooter overall and a below 25% shooter from 3. That is really bad. 

Can he turn it around the back half of his senior year here? Sure he can. But, I wouldn't expect it. We've been playing this "he just needs confidence game with him for 3 years. 

To me it seems when Rob just catches and shoots he is a descent shooter.  Over the years he had come up with some big shots late on games.  I think his problem comes when he is not ready to shoot and hesitates.

11 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we are one PG short for the rest of the season. Lots of rumors from southern Indiana that someone is leaving the program. 

Wouldn't surprise me but Don Fischer interviewed him the other day and said Lander wad real upbeat about the program

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

To me it seems when Rob just catches and shoots he is a descent shooter.  Over the years he had come up with some big shots late on games.  I think his problem comes when he is not ready to shoot and hesitates.

He misses a ton of wide open catch and shoot 3's though. 

3 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Gonna be great to lose four years of Lander because Woody’s in love with Phinisee’s remarkable 25% shooting. 

Kids needs to be patient because next year he could start along with Bates and JHS.  

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I just think he thinks to much instead of playing with instinct.

That could be the case, but at some point you either have to get over it an ball...the clock is ticking on his career. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

That could be the case, but at some point you either have to get over it an ball...the clock is ticking on his career. 

I guess I just noticed it more bring at the game.  It seems most of the time he catches the ball he looks to drive or pass instead of being ready to shoot.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Kids needs to be patient because next year he could start along with Bates and JHS.  

Players aren’t going to sit around and ride the bench when they can transfer elsewhere and play immediately. It’s obvious how low Woody thinks of him, so not a surprise that he isn’t going to be sticking around

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Players aren’t going to sit around and ride the bench when they can transfer elsewhere and play immediately. 

Not always greener on the other side. This is what is wrong with sports and society in general is that everything has to happen right away.  There is no longer waiting your turn and actually playing when you are ready to play.

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Not always greener on the other side. This is what is wrong with sports and society in general is that everything has to happen right away.  There is no longer waiting your turn and actually playing when you are ready to play.

I’m not all that interested in a ‘back in the day’ conversation, but transfers aren’t anything new. Coaches can leave schools whenever they want. Scholarships are year to year. Our best point guard is a transfer. If a player thinks he’s good enough to play now but isn’t playing you’re going to have a hard time convincing him to ride the bench. 5 star players don’t come to schools to ride the bench, especially when the guy playing in front of them is as mediocre as Rob Phinisee. They’re going to leave for a better fit. Lander may be a better fit at an ACC or SEC school where the conference play doesn’t resemble tackle football. 

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Not always greener on the other side. 

Say it loud and say it proud. Truer words there are not. 

Hoping that all players committed to and attending IU stick it out and reach their maximum potential. All it takes is playing well enough to be the player that helps us win. Give the coaches reason to put you on the floor.

If any player thinks they are good enough to be that player they should stick it out. If a player doesn't see themselves as talented enough to get there, even with maximum work, then they should transfer to a lower level program.

For instance...a great transfer decision? Mo Creek to George Washington. He knew that his physical limitations would never allow for a full-time role at IU, so he left for a place where he could play even with those limitations.

20 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

The coaches see Lander in practice every day and clearly feel Phinisee gives them a better chance to win.  That either doesn't say much for the coaches or doesn't say much for where Lander is.

They don’t like his defense so they’ve decided not to play him at all, even though Rob is probably worse on offense than Khristian is at defense. A 6’1 point guard who shoots 25% from the field and 40% from the free throw line is not exactly what you want. 

I’ve seen enough questionable things from the staff to not default to “Woody knows best” on every decision that he makes, and this is one that makes absolutely no sense to me. Lander has four DNPs this season in eleven games. He had one DNP all of last year. 

Rob Phinisee gets held to astronomically low standards, much lower standards than Lander despite Rob being the senior. He goes 2-8 on Saturday and people talk about how great he played. If he doesn’t go out and trip over himself he gets praised. We’ve been hearing about how he “just needs to get his confidence back” for about 80 games now.

Not playing Lander at all is a bad decision, and it sounds like it’s going to cost us him. 

12 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

They don’t like his defense so they’ve decided not to play him at all, even though Rob is probably worse on offense than Khristian is at defense. A 6’1 point guard who shoots 25% from the field and 40% from the free throw line is not exactly what you want. 

I’ve seen enough questionable things from the staff to not default to “Woody knows best” on every decision that he makes, and this is one that makes absolutely no sense to me. Lander has four DNPs this season in eleven games. He had one DNP all of last year. 

Rob Phinisee gets held to astronomically low standards, much lower standards than Lander despite Rob being the senior. He goes 2-8 on Saturday and people talk about how great he played. If he doesn’t go out and trip over himself he gets praised. We’ve been hearing about how he “just needs to get his confidence back” for about 80 games now.

Not playing Lander at all is a bad decision, and it sounds like it’s going to cost us him. 

I wasn't the biggest fan of the Woodson hire, but there is high level experience in this program.  They clearly feel that Lander isn't earning time in practice or that he's getting out performed in practice; if he isn't performing in practice he's not going to get playing time in games and that's clearly how the coaches feel or the entire staff doesn't know what they're watching.

EDIT:  You can want Lander to get time because Phinisee has been disappointing, but if the coaches watch them in practice and feel Phinisee is the better option then Lander won't get time.

1 minute ago, JSHoosier said:

I wasn't the biggest fan of the Woodson hire, but there is high level experience in this program.  They clearly feel that Lander isn't earning time in practice or that he's getting out performed in practice; if he isn't performing in practice he's not going to get playing time in games and that's clearly how the coaches feel or the entire staff doesn't know what they're watching.

Yup...Woody, after consulting with

1. Matta,
  2. Yas,
  3. Kenya,
  4. Fife, and
  5. Armond Hill

... have buried Lander on the bench for now.

That's over 50 years of college coaching experience and over 50 years of NBA coaching experience behind that decision.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

Yup...Woody, after consulting with

1. Matta,
  2. Yas,
  3. Kenya,
  4. Fife, and
  5. Armond Hill

... have buried Lander on the bench for now.

That's over 50 years of college coaching experience and over 50 years of NBA coaching experience behind that decision.

We saw first hand a person can be on Izzo's bench and manage to learn absolutely nothing, in fairness.  Matta absolutely knows what's he's watching though, and he he's not a coach but has their ear if they have any sense at all.

52 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Coaches can leave schools at any time and now players can transfer once without sitting out. Plus they have the NIL opportunities so the gap is decreasing on being fair imo. KL has disappointed me as much as RP development which pretty much sums up our point guard situation behind Johnson. If Johnson can learn to cut his turnovers and we get Galloway healthy, I wouldn’t play either in Big Ten play.

y’all know my feeling on Lander. He’s a target defensively and offensively at best he’s mediocre right now….can’t be much better than that if you don’t run the plays.  Phin is good defensively and poor offensively.

The staff isn’t stupid — they know that Landed likely leaves if he doesn’t play.  Very telling IMO that they are okay with that prospect.

FWIW, I fully expect that X will take his Covid option and play next year.