Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

Game Thread: vs. Notre Dame 12/18 - 2:30 pm on FOX

1 hour ago, yogisballin said:

I agree with you. I will say this..I’ve lost trust in XJ….big time! And I’m getting to where I’m questioning Woody. I tuned in to the beginning of Merrimack in hopes that Woody made a change of the starting 5. Only just to see, it was business as usual. Maybe he knows something I don’t.

I’m so down on this program right now and It’s going to take a major turnaround for me to be as diehard as I’ve always been for the last 38-39 years. In my eyes, the future of IUBB doesn’t have any momentum. And unless something drastically changes, it’s not looking to get much better in the near future.

We need kids that are winners and know how to win! Is there 1 kid on this team and even the ones that have committed next year, that have won a state title?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I felt that way under Archie from very early on and was told by many I was wrong. That said, I understand how you feel but personally feel differently here.

are we playing as well as we want, no, but we are 9-2 and and have a ton of basketball left to play. I think we will see this team make the tourney and sadly, that is the bar for me right now. Make the tourney every year under Woodson, sustain the program and then hand it off to someone younger like Fife to take it from there.

Expecting a lot more this early on is tough for everyone. 

5 hours ago, Whoozhers said:

Didn’t know you were a math major.
Am I happy we won? Damn right. But…. That overall erratic effort and basketball IQ won’t get us to the dance.
Hoping we can catch fire and play a solid 40 minutes game after game. We have the talent to do that. Haven’t seen it yet, though.
Gemoji459.png Hemoji459.pngemoji459.pngsiers!

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I think the erratic behavior starts with X and if RP can start taking positive strides like he did today, Phinesee will start and X will come off the bench.  If things don’t improve with him over the next several games, Woodson will start to loose his patience with X and he will make the change to go with RP.  

2 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

I felt that way under Archie from very early on and was told by many I was wrong. That said, I understand how you feel but personally feel differently here.

are we playing as well as we want, no, but we are 9-2 and and have a ton of basketball left to play. I think we will see this team make the tourney and sadly, that is the bar for me right now. Make the tourney every year under Woodson, sustain the program and then hand it off to someone younger like Fife to take it from there.

Expecting a lot more this early on is tough for everyone. 

I agree with this too!  This team is still a work in progress and will continue to improve throughout the year.  A far cry change than the teams digression during our last 2 coaches we had.

We all just have to be a little patient throughout the season 

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

Really not getting the complaints about effort today. It seems like whenever an opponent goes on a run, everyone wants to blame lack of effort. 

We have a flawed roster that was put together by a bad coach, and it's why we have stretches where we just can't do anything on offense. Defensively, I thought we were really good today. It's crazy to me why anyone would think our offensive struggles would be due to guys just not trying hard enough. 

Which is what I've been trying to say.  I can't wrap my mind around anyone who thinks when I say it's a lack of execution as opposed to effort that I'm somehow praising the team.

I don’t understand anyone saying lack of effort. The guys are playing hard.
But, there were several lazy passes early in the 1st, including by TJD that resulted in TO’s and that, along with ND controlling the pace, was why we went down 13-8 and then it spiraled to a 10-point ND lead.

Rob then played a major role in turning it back around, including changing the pace and our D picked up along with some full-court press. Race was big too.
I don’t see any lack of effort, but I do see repeated slow and often careless starts, one hand passes in traffic, etc.

i’d like to see a quicker sub when we start like that, but Woodson sometimes seems to let them play through it with sideline direction and there’s something to that too. It’s a continuing issue though, hope to see them continue to gel and avoid the early TO’s and slow starts 

7 hours ago, IUFAN1976 said:

I think the erratic behavior starts with X and if RP can start taking positive strides like he did today, Phinesee will start and X will come off the bench.  If things don’t improve with him over the next several games, Woodson will start to loose his patience with X and he will make the change to go with RP.  

The point guard position is the starting 'point' of over half of the plays in a game.  IU has been lacking a stellar PG for way too long.  Yogi was pretty darn good.  Phin was a more than decent Frosh PG. But he has gotten his bell rung at least twice.  And other injuries have obviously impacted.  Maybe he will get his groove back this season.  He is a decent option if he wouldn't dribble too long at the top of the key before distributing or slashing.  He did play fairly well last night.

I agree that if X doesn't kick start the team then Coach Woody has to change out that position for the time being.  

But, I do not understand the offense of only the PG moving.  Why the other players just stand and wait for the PG to initiate a play seems to me to be a problem...with an easy solution.  Why not get Race to move to the high position and get him the ball to initiate a play early in the game.  That or hit a 3 early. Missing the early 3 and a matador defense in any of the very early plays by the other team...puts IU in the hole game after game.   Take a pick of many options...any of them will get the team going imho.

I understand the 4 and 1 offense and the focus on trying to get TJD the ball early.  But if the other team is prepared for that then IU has to be prepared immediately to react on offense using Plan B.

9 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

Really not getting the complaints about effort today. It seems like whenever an opponent goes on a run, everyone wants to blame lack of effort. 

We have a flawed roster that was put together by a bad coach, and it's why we have stretches where we just can't do anything on offense. Defensively, I thought we were really good today. It's crazy to me why anyone would think our offensive struggles would be due to guys just not trying hard enough. 

And you’re no sunshine pumper.

Excellent summary – kudos

Trying to think other than Remy Martin who was the last minute addition portal point guard that would’ve helped us more than Xavier Johnson.

It’s not a perfect world y’all. We have a completely overhauled program and we are 9–2 with the two losses by a total of less than 10 points. Both of those losses were at two of the toughest places to play nationally.

Good times ahead, enjoy the wins!

2 hours ago, Dave from Dayton said:

The point guard position is the starting 'point' of over half of the plays in a game.  IU has been lacking a stellar PG for way too long.  Yogi was pretty darn good.  Phin was a more than decent Frosh PG. But he has gotten his bell rung at least twice.  And other injuries have obviously impacted.  Maybe he will get his groove back this season.  He is a decent option if he wouldn't dribble too long at the top of the key before distributing or slashing.  He did play fairly well last night.

I agree that if X doesn't kick start the team then Coach Woody has to change out that position for the time being.  

But, I do not understand the offense of only the PG moving.  Why the other players just stand and wait for the PG to initiate a play seems to me to be a problem...with an easy solution.  Why not get Race to move to the high position and get him the ball to initiate a play early in the game.  That or hit a 3 early. Missing the early 3 and a matador defense in any of the very early plays by the other team...puts IU in the hole game after game.   Take a pick of many options...any of them will get the team going imho.

I understand the 4 and 1 offense and the focus on trying to get TJD the ball early.  But if the other team is prepared for that then IU has to be prepared immediately to react on offense using Plan B.

I do see a lot of standing around on offense. I can see where some lazy comments are coming from 

3 hours ago, Dave from Dayton said:

I really don’t either.  I thought we were supposed to have more motion in our offense but there seems to be a lot of standing around until the PG initiates the offense.  I think CMW maybe trying to keep it basic because playing motion is more complex than we think and most of these players aren’t used to motion.  He wants to play everything through Trayce & Race

51 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

I do see a lot of standing around on offense. I can see where some lazy comments are coming from 

For sure.

I think maybe it comes down to this: Priority one is spacing and priority two is motion.

You don’t want to create motion that kills the spacing. But if you can keep in motion while maintaining spacing that’s when things really click. The offense, as Woody has said, is a work in progress.

Point guard is this teams biggest concern (Captain Obvious). 5/19fg, 8 assists and 6 turnovers. I do like the 7 rebounds. I'm trying my damnest to root for X, but he's making it very difficult. He teeters that line of aggressive vs dirty. Once this staff gets a complete PG, watch out!

1 hour ago, jk34 said:

Point guard is this teams biggest concern (Captain Obvious). 5/19fg, 8 assists and 6 turnovers. I do like the 7 rebounds. I'm trying my damnest to root for X, but he's making it very difficult. He teeters that line of aggressive vs dirty. Once this staff gets a complete PG, watch out!

As it stands right now, XJ is the 3rd best player on this team.