Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

2022-23 IUBB Schedule

1 minute ago, HoosierAloha said:

I like it!

KU
ACC opponent in the challenge
Hopefully preseason tourney
I’d like to see a handful of opponents scattered through that 50-200 range then a couple of cupcakes in the 200+ area.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I also love that it is a home and home. Games like this should be on campus. I like the annual tournaments (maui, atlantis, etc.) to be played on neutral courts, but series like this are much better on campus.

6 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I like it!

KU
ACC opponent in the challenge
Hopefully preseason tourney
I’d like to see a handful of opponents scattered through that 50-200 range then a couple of cupcakes in the 200+ area.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

You forgot possible Gavitt Game.

29 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

I also love that it is a home and home. Games like this should be on campus. I like the annual tournaments (maui, atlantis, etc.) to be played on neutral courts, but series like this are much better on campus.

One small problem. The game is scheduled to place AFTER finals at IU over break. Either you have to leave it in the student package  and hope enough students stay back or you re-sell the game to everyone (sell-out and atmosphere won't be a problem with or without students) and deprive the students the marquee game of the year.

Love the game but needed to be scheduled a week or two earlier. This date was not well thought through.  

3 minutes ago, Aaron said:

One small problem. The game is scheduled to place AFTER finals at IU over break. Either you have to leave it in the student package  and hope enough students stay back or you re-sell the game to everyone (sell-out and atmosphere won't be a problem with or without students) and deprive the students the marquee game of the year.

Love the game but needed to be scheduled a week or two earlier. This date was not well though through.  

The game is IU v. Kansas. You could play it in July and 17,000 will show up to assembly hall. The atmosphere will not be an issue

Edit: sorry misread your post. Yes I say IU will have to figure that out, but either way it is good for the program to get it on the schedule. 

1 minute ago, IUc2016 said:

The game is IU v. Kansas. You could play it in July and 17,000 will show up to assembly hall. The atmosphere will not be an issue

Agreed. I said atmosphere will be great, students or no students like Ohio State game over break in 2012.

It just seems to put IU in a bad position of having to decide whether to:

A. Leave it student package and hope enough of them stay back to go that you are not embarrassed with gobs of empty seats

B. Re-sell all the tickets in the student section. This is probably the better of the two ideas and will let longtime Hoosier fans who do not usually get to go attend a marquee game. It does seem a shame though to deprive students of a marquee game but I think you have to based on the poor planning with the date.     

5 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Agreed. I said atmosphere will be great, students or no students like Ohio State game over break in 2012.

It just seems to put IU in a bad position of having to decide whether to:

A. Leave it student package and hope enough of them stay back to go that you are not embarrassed with gobs of empty seats

B. Re-sell all the tickets in the student section. This is probably the better of the two ideas and will let longtime Hoosier fans who do not usually get to go attend a marquee game. It does seem a shame though to deprive students of a marquee game but I think you have to based on the poor planning with the date.     

yeah I misread it as saying atmosphere will suffer without students. But I agree that reselling to general public will be the best option, I know what I will be asking for Christmas in two years. 

4 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Why? It gives you a good non-conference game instead of a cupcake. I like it a lot.

It gives you hardly any room to make a schedule. ACC-B1G device who you play. B1G-BE decide who you play. We thankfully ended the trash Crossroads Classic. Forcing two events as a conference is ridiculous. Then have 20 conference games. The Big Ten has an insane amount of control of the teams schedule. And the Gravitt Games are a complete joke. 

1 minute ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

It gives you hardly any room to make a schedule. ACC-B1G device who you play. B1G-BE decide who you play. We thankfully ended the trash Crossroads Classic. Forcing two events as a conference is ridiculous. Then have 20 conference games. The Big Ten has an insane amount of control of the teams schedule. And the Gravitt Games are a complete joke. 

I pretty much agree with this. There are really only 2 opponents in the Big East worth saving a date for and that's Villanova/Uconn. 

I do like it instead of a cupcake for sure, but with the rest of the guaranteed games a game like St. John's does nothing for IU. 

31 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

I pretty much agree with this. There are really only 2 opponents in the Big East worth saving a date for and that's Villanova/Uconn. 

I do like it instead of a cupcake for sure, but with the rest of the guaranteed games a game like St. John's does nothing for IU. 

Better St Johns than a directional Michigan or Illinois school which is what you would have in its place without the Gavitt Games. Anyone in Big East is better than the alternative. 

31 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Agree.  Agree that the Gavitt games are silly — no one cares about them regionally or nationally and the big ten has nothing to gain and can only lose from it.

I know I’ve harped on it a lot, but still think the Big Ten conference schedule should be whittled to 18 and start in January.  Gives time in the schedule to put a Kansas type game without being mixed in conference play.

Just now, Aaron said:

Better St Johns than a directional Michigan or Illinois school which is what you would have in its place without the Gavitt Games. Anyone in Big East is better than the alternative. 

But it doesn’t have to be a directional team.  We’re replacing Butler/ND with Kansas.

IMO, if you want more quality non-con games you have to give teams fewer conference games.  Right now teams schedule cupcakes because they are trying to build up wins leading into a 20 game conference slate.

On 12/14/2021 at 1:22 PM, brumdog45 said:

Agree.  Agree that the Gavitt games are silly — no one cares about them regionally or nationally and the big ten has nothing to gain and can only lose from it.

I know I’ve harped on it a lot, but still think the Big Ten conference schedule should be whittled to 18 and start in January.  Gives time in the schedule to put a Kansas type game without being mixed in conference play.

In theory you are right, but if the Big Ten chops of a couple games and you did not have the Gavitt Games, a lot of teams would just schedule three cupcakes. Rather have 20 Big Ten games and Gavitt than the alternative.   

Just now, brumdog45 said:

But it doesn’t have to be a directional team.  We’re replacing Butler/ND with Kansas.

IMO, if you want more quality non-con games you have to give teams fewer conference games.  Right now teams schedule cupcakes because they are trying to build up wins leading into a 20 game conference slate.

In this case yes. I guarantee you if Gavitt went away than Nov game would be replaced with Cupcake which you don't want.