Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

2022-23 IUBB Schedule

24 minutes ago, Southside said:

I'd love to see some creative "classics" in our future. I don't care if it's PU, Butler, ND, or Ball State lol. 

Heck, take all the IN teams (4 above) and do a classic with the B12 (future B12). You could do Houston, Cinci, Kansas, KSU, Baylor, TTU, etc.. Or do an all IN vs all TX classic. I've been wanting an SEC matchup classic as well. 

With Gavitt coming to an end, wouldn't be surprised to see something in the works. 

Or no classics... And just schedule games one 2-3 year basis and never be tied down. 

12 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Or no classics... And just schedule games one 2-3 year basis and never be tied down. 

Classics and Challenges don't really tie you down if you don't want them to. We're doing the Empire Classic (formerly 2K classic) next year with no long term tie downs. 

And they don't have to keep you from scheduling other big games. We're in two this season and still scheduled Kansas and AZ.

Next season, we'll have the ACC/B10 Challenge, the Empire Classic (either TX, Louisville, or UConn), and Kansas. 

If we partner and  create our own, we'll have more control as well (compared to a conf sponsored event). 

2 hours ago, Honkyman said:

First, of all, IU could easily lose all four of these pre-conference games so it might be prudent to temper expectations. Even if we do, we will likely still be very good and among the top 4-5 in the Big Ten Conference. Secondly, a win at Kansas would be news but hardly "shock the college basketball world to its core." Beating North Carolina, even at home, would be a much bigger story since North Carolina is ranked number one. BTW, I saw IU beat Kansas in Allen Field House. Different era. Bobby Knight was IU's coach. IU's star player was center Steve Downing and its starting point guard was a freshman named Quinn Buckner. IU went to the Final Four and Kansas wasn't very good (8-18) that season.

UNC's at the top, but that's still a home game and we have a better shot at that game than beating KU on its floor, don't see a home win over UNC, if we get it, as a much bigger story than somehow beating KU at the Phog. They're 292-16 there and last lost there in 2018 after 2 decades of going undefeated there, not to mention they're the defending NC, Wilson, Harris and Yusefu returned, they got McCullar from Tech, have a top 5 recruiting class with 3 McD boys, and are themselves pre-season ranked in the top 5-10. A win at the Phog would be big time, whatever label someone wants to put on it.

17 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

UNC's at the top, but that's still a home game

I disagree. Beating number #1 is always a bigger deal than beating number 8 or whatever Kansas is. Besides, Indiana plays North Carolina before they play Kansas (IU also plays Arizona before they play Kansas). If IU beats UNC and Arizona, they likely will go into Allen Field House as even odds to win. If IU loses to UNC and beats Kansas, it is a big deal except IU has already lost to Number One at home. 

3 hours ago, Honkyman said:

First, of all, IU could easily lose all four of these pre-conference games so it might be prudent to temper expectations. Even if we do, we will likely still be very good and among the top 4-5 in the Big Ten Conference. Secondly, a win at Kansas would be news but hardly "shock the college basketball world to its core." Beating North Carolina, even at home, would be a much bigger story since North Carolina is ranked number one. BTW, I saw IU beat Kansas in Allen Field House. Different era. Bobby Knight was IU's coach. IU's star player was center Steve Downing and its starting point guard was a freshman named Quinn Buckner. IU went to the Final Four and Kansas wasn't very good (8-18) that season.

Well what you quoted was not my comment, so I'm not sure how it's attributed to me. But I most definitely have very tempered expectations of this coming season. I agree that "shock the college bball world to it's core" is strong to quite strong. But given the state of both program...KU being defending champs, virtually never losing at home, and IU being the one program that people love to debate whether we belong as a blueblood or not....it win would be one hell of a statement across the college hoops world. KU will most definitely be much better than the 8-18 team you witnessed IU beat. 

3 hours ago, Honkyman said:

I'd say we have a 50% chance or better of winning in 3 of those games (sans Kansas), so I don't think I'd say we could easily lose all 4. Unless you would also say you could easily see us win all 4, which honestly is probably more likely (although also not very likely).

13 minutes ago, HoosierX said:

I'd say we have a 50% chance or better of winning in 3 of those games (sans Kansas), so I don't think I'd say we could easily lose all 4. Unless you would also say you could easily see us win all 4, which honestly is probably more likely (although also not very likely).

Pre-season polls have IU ranked behind two of the four (UNC & Kansas) but barely ahead of Arizona which would make that game a toss up (unless IU beats UNC). It is more likely that we lose all three of those than win all three. Xavier is ranked a bit lower but still a top 30 team by most pre-season polls. Since we play Xavier on the road, that game is likely a tossup. I'm just saying let's keep our expectations in check. These will all be tough but hopefully winnable games.

44 minutes ago, HoosierX said:

No way. Let's say IU had a 75% chance of winning each game. Then they'd have ~40% chance of winning 3 of 4. IU's odds of winning aren't that high so the chance of winning 3 is way lower than 50%.

5 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

Pre-season polls have IU ranked behind two of the four (UNC & Kansas) but barely ahead of Arizona which would make that game a toss up (unless IU beats UNC). It is more likely that we lose all three of those than win all three. Xavier is ranked a bit lower but still a top 30 team by most pre-season polls. Since we play Xavier on the road, that game is likely a tossup. I'm just saying let's keep our expectations in check. These will all be tough but hopefully winnable games.

I really doubt anyone expects us to sweep the 4. I'd assume most would simply be happy with a split.

I'm assuming we'll be even or slight road favorites when we go to Xavier.

Right now, I'm sure UNC would be healthy road favorites when they come to Bloomington. But that will depend of course on what we do vs Xavier, and what UNC does in the Phil Knight Invitational (#14 Nova, #18 OR, #19 Bama, #24 UConn, Mich. St.) out in Portland Nov24-27. But... UNC might be a bit worn out playing 3 games on the West Coast once they come to Bloomington only a few days after getting done in Portland. 

AZ will be a neutral site game (Vegas), and right now assume a toss up more or less. 

Kansas has a week off before we play them, and as of now, they'd be healthy home favorites. They play Duke early, and then the Battle for Atlantis, so we'll have a good idea what they look like prior to playing them. 

12 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

No way. Let's say IU had a 75% chance of winning each game. Then they'd have ~40% chance of winning 3 of 4. IU's odds of winning aren't that high so the chance of winning 3 is way lower than 50%.

Yep agreed. Which is why I said "in 3 of those games" instead of "3 games"

The same math would work in reverse for losing all the games, hence my point.

1 minute ago, HoosierX said:

Yep agreed. Which is why I said "in 3 of those games" instead of "3 games"

The same math would work in reverse for losing all the games, hence my point.

Sorry, misread it.

2 hours ago, Honkyman said:

I disagree. Beating number #1 is always a bigger deal than beating number 8 or whatever Kansas is. Besides, Indiana plays North Carolina before they play Kansas (IU also plays Arizona before they play Kansas). If IU beats UNC and Arizona, they likely will go into Allen Field House as even odds to win. If IU loses to UNC and beats Kansas, it is a big deal except IU has already lost to Number One at home. 

We can disagree, a home game vs a W against KU at the Phog are just different animals to me. Even odds to win at the Phog? Seriously doubt that.

IU could be undefeated going into the Kansas game and they still won’t be favored to win that game.    Winning at Kansas would be one of the best wins of the year in all of college basketball if Kansas were to stay in the top 10.    A win doesn’t guarantee anything though.  Kentucky beat them by 100 last year at Phog and Kansas ended up having the last laugh and won it all.    It’s fun to speculate what IU’s record will be in these big matchups but in reality they are still just a piece of the overall puzzle.   IU could go O-4 in those games and still make the tourney and they could also go 4-0 in those games and miss 

23 hours ago, Hardwood83 said:

I looked it up: As coach at Kansas, Self has a record of 292–16 (.948 win percentage) at Allen Fieldhouse. That is INCLUDING conference games. I can't find the non-con record but it is even more ridiculous. In short, I'm chalking this up as an IU loss. This is what SSAH should be like. 

I have it as a loss too. Tough place to go to... even if I think Kansas will be a little down based on their standards. 

1 hour ago, Uspshoosier said:

IU could be undefeated going into the Kansas game and they still won’t be favored to win that game.    Winning at Kansas would be one of the best wins of the year in all of college basketball if Kansas were to stay in the top 10.    A win doesn’t guarantee anything though.  Kentucky beat them by 100 last year at Phog and Kansas ended up having the last laugh and won it all.    It’s fun to speculate what IU’s record will be in these big matchups but in reality they are still just a piece of the overall puzzle.   IU could go O-4 in those games and still make the tourney and they could also go 4-0 in those games and miss 

Tried to say the same thing above. A win in the Phog would be a monster W.

Going to be a fun year regardless

9 hours ago, Honkyman said:

College basketball fans remember us beating #1 UK at home 10 years ago, and #1 Michigan not long after that. We beat highly ranked UNC teams twice at home during that span. We have a history of showing up for those big games and feeding off the energy of our crowd. Those games are a lot fresher in the minds of basketball fans than IU beating a bad Kansas team 50 years ago.