Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

2022-23 IUBB Schedule

1 hour ago, LamarCheeks said:

I think with the hype and expectations we'll have heading into this season, a game vs. UNC or Duke seemed like a natural. 

Still after 20 years of us participating in the challenge, we haven't played -- Virginia, Louisville, Miami, Clemson, Virginia Tech. I didn't include Notre Dame because we'd been playing them every other year at Indy. 

I just figured that by now, we would've have played everyone -- or most everyone. 

We will probably get Villanova who we haven't played since 81-82 I believe.

5 hours ago, btownqb said:

It doesn't sound practical to get Nova... and play all 4 of those schools. Who knows? 

But... @Xavier wouldn't be bad. I could see us at Creighton, SH, Providence. Any of those schools would be solid non cons. 

No problem with playing Nova though. 

Who knows how it will shake out but worth noting that most people have Creighton ranked higher than Nova in early predictions. They very well could be the stronger opponent this coming season. 

6 hours ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

Who knows how it will shake out but worth noting that most people have Creighton ranked higher than Nova in early predictions. They very well could be the stronger opponent this coming season. 

Oh for sure. I honestly don't even peek at the preseason stuff. 

I think Creighton is excellent and if they were the "4th best team we play in non con".... holy cow, what a schedule!

44 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Oh for sure. I honestly don't even peak at the preseason stuff. 

I think Creighton is excellent and if they were the "4th best team we play in non con".... holy cow, what a schedule!

Creighton will probably start out the season in the top 10 and I would have them closer to top 5 if everyone is healthy. Rumors are they might not be in the gavitt games this year.   If IU played at  Creighton along with the other games that’s gauntlet of games.   

I asked this earlier to someone..UNC/IU has to be the biggest game at Assembly Hall since Michigan/IU in 2013 right? Pretty sure Michigan was #1 IU was #3. Good chance IU and UNC are both top ten teams when they meet. 

In my "fandom" since 02 I think the biggest home games that stand out are: 

2005 #1 Duke

2008 #9 Michigan State (Gameday)

2011 #1 Kentucky

2013 #1 Michigan

2022 #4 Purdue 

Might be taking some of my housing profit to go to this game. I've been dying to go to a major game at Assembly Hall...just haven't been a lot to go to. 

5 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

I guess the NCAA will automatically make us a top 4 seed.  Seems like they reward out of conference SOS regardless of result.

I hope this is the opposite of the 2016 team. They went 15-3 in the B1G but got punished for no major out of conference wins (Maui was a disaster and so was the Duke game). I'm okay with them going 14-6 and maybe not winning the regular season n the B1G IF they can go 2-2 or maybe even 3-1 against the big four games. 

Side note: We all talk about 2013 and rightfully so but I believe the 2012 and 2016 teams could have made the final four in the right bracket. Just got stuck against UK (National Champs) and UNC (National Runner-Ups). Both teams had some bad losses that prevented them from getting a 3 seed and better matchups. 

2 hours ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

I asked this earlier to someone..UNC/IU has to be the biggest game at Assembly Hall since Michigan/IU in 2013 right? Pretty sure Michigan was #1 IU was #3. Good chance IU and UNC are both top ten teams when they meet. 

In my "fandom" since 02 I think the biggest home games that stand out are: 

2005 #1 Duke

2008 #9 Michigan State (Gameday)

2011 #1 Kentucky

2013 #1 Michigan

2022 #4 Purdue 

Might be taking some of my housing profit to go to this game. I've been dying to go to a major game at Assembly Hall...just haven't been a lot to go to. 

When we played and beat UNC in 2016, they were #3 and we were #13. They ended up winning the national title, we fell into the bottomless pit.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/2016-11-30-indiana.html

Isiah Thomas Holding Up A Gigantic Crying Michael Jordan Face As Indiana  Pummeled UNC Was Savagely Disrespectful | Barstool Sports

1 hour ago, LIHoosier said:

When we played and beat UNC in 2016, they were #3 and we were #13. They ended up winning the national title, we fell into the bottomless pit.

Isiah Thomas Holding Up A Gigantic Crying Michael Jordan Face As Indiana  Pummeled UNC Was Savagely Disrespectful | Barstool Sports

We beat a top 5 Kansas that season as well.

1 hour ago, LIHoosier said:

Isn't that the game we lost OG for the season?

That's a brutal 3 game stretch lol. Love it.

• vs. North CarolinaNov. 30 (Bloomington, Ind.)
  • vs. Arizona, Dec. 10, 2022 (Las Vegas, Nev.) — not finalized
  • at Kansas, Dec. 17, 2022 (Lawrence, Kan.)

At least if we get Nova in the Gavitt game, it'll fall before our 3 cupcakes. 

14 hours ago, btownqb said:

It doesn't sound practical to get Nova... and play all 4 of those schools. Who knows? 

But... @Xavier wouldn't be bad. I could see us at Creighton, SH, Providence. Any of those schools would be solid non cons. 

No problem with playing Nova though. 

I dug into stuff going down the rabbit hole this week, and below is what I've found. 

Here's our past Gavitt games

• 2021 St Johns
  • 2020 Covid Cancel, but we did play Butler later
  • 2019 DNP, but we did play UConn
  • 2018 Marquette, and we also played Butler later
  • 2017 at Seton Hall
  • 2016 DNP, but we did play Butler
  • 2015 Creighton (#5 PS this year), and we also played St Johns later

I looked at the GG rules/agreements, etc. earlier, and here's what I found.

8 games per year. Each BE team is supposed to play min 6 games. Each B10 min 4. Since the 2020 season was canceled, this won't happen, but I'm sure they'll try to get as close as possible. I'd assume the targets of 6 and 4 and cut down to 5 and 3?

• BE teams that have played 6 (met commitment): Creighton, DePaul, so good chance they won't play this year.
  • BE teams that have played 5 (likely met Covid reduced commitment): Marquette, Providence, SH, SJs
  • BE teams that have played 4: Butler, Georgetown, Nova, Xavier (all probably a given to play in the GGs)
  • BE Other: UConn joined the conference recently and had not played any GGs, so assume they are exempt. 
  • B10 who have played 4 (met commitment): IU, IL, UM, NE, OSU, RU, WI
  • B10 who have played 3 (likely met Covid reduced commitment): Iowa, Maryland, MN, NW, PSU, PU, 
  • B10 who have played 2 (below): MSU 
  • So likely (not guaranteed) to see Butler, Georgetown, Nova, Xavier, Marquette, Providence, SH, and SJs as the 8
  • So likely (not guaranteed) from the B10 you'll have MSU, Iowa, Maryland, MN, NW, PSU, PU, IU as the 8 based on IU was assumed and the other 7 teams haven't met their target.

So assuming they don't want to repeat past Gavitt matchups (SJs, Marquette, SH, Creighton), assuming they'll stay away from the frequent in-state played Butler, IU's potential likely is.

• #16 Nova
  • #24 UConn (probably not since we played them OoC, not GGs, in 2019, and because they haven't played in the GGs at all)
  • Xavier (previously the #25 in PS ranks)
  • Georgetown
  • Providence
  • DePaul (already met commitment target, so likely not in the mix)

Looking at the other top tier B10 teams (assuming they'll try to match tiers...)

• UM - already hit target and doesn't list the GG on their future schedules page
  • IL - already hit target and can't find GG mentioned as a PS game
  • OSU - already hit their target, and can't find any mention of GG in preseason scheduling
  • MSU - under target, and likely to get a top BE matchup

So guessing it will be IU and MSU, playing Nova and Xavier. Now the weird UConn situation could throw a wrench in the whole thing. 

But my guess will be Nova. We've already had 3 homes games, so guessing on the road. Nova has only had 2 home games.

This guy did the math and digging too it seams

6 hours ago, Southside said:

I dug into stuff going down the rabbit hole this week, and below is what I've found. 

• 2021 St Johns
  • 2017 at Seton Hall

8 games per year. Each BE team is supposed to play min 6 games. Each B10 min 4. Since the 2020 season was canceled, this won't happen, but I'm sure they'll try to get as close as possible. I'd assume the targets of 6 and 4 and cut down to 5 and 3?

• BE teams that have played 6 (met commitment): Creighton, DePaul, so good chance they won't play this year.
  • BE teams that have played 5 (likely met Covid reduced commitment): Marquette, Providence, SH, SJs
  • BE teams that have played 4: Butler, Georgetown, Nova, Xavier (all probably a given to play in the GGs)
  • BE Other: UConn joined the conference recently and had not played any GGs, so assume they are exempt. 
  • B10 who have played 3 (likely met Covid reduced commitment): Iowa, Maryland, MN, NW, PSU, PU, 
  • So likely (not guaranteed) to see Butler, Georgetown, Nova, Xavier, Marquette, Providence, SH, and SJs as the 8
  • So likely (not guaranteed) from the B10 you'll have MSU, Iowa, Maryland, MN, NW, PSU, PU, IU as the 8 based on IU was assumed and the other 7 teams haven't met their target.

So assuming they don't want to repeat past Gavitt matchups (SJs, Marquette, SH, Creighton), assuming they'll stay away from the frequent in-state played Butler, IU's potential likely is.

• #16 Nova
  • #24 UConn (probably not since we played them OoC, not GGs, in 2019, and because they haven't played in the GGs at all)
  • Georgetown
  • Providence

Looking at the other top tier B10 teams (assuming they'll try to match tiers...)

• UM - already hit target and doesn't list the GG on their future schedules page
  • OSU - already hit their target, and can't find any mention of GG in preseason scheduling

So guessing it will be IU and MSU, playing Nova and Xavier. Now the weird UConn situation could throw a wrench in the whole thing. 

But my guess will be Nova. We've already had 3 homes games, so guessing on the road. Nova has only had 2 home games.

It really does all make sense.  Fingers crossed we get them and we beat them. Would be a big win 

11 hours ago, LIHoosier said:

True that has to be it. Very much possible IU would've been #1 or #2 had they not lost to Fort Wayne the week before. What a shame that season was. 

6 hours ago, Southside said:

• 2021 St Johns
  • 2017 at Seton Hall

• #16 Nova
  • Georgetown
  • Providence

Good work. I say bring them on...Obviously we all want to go 3-1/4-0 against KU, Arizona, UNC, and possibly Villanova. But even going 2-2 (which I think is possible) would be huge. 

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

It really does all make sense.  Fingers crossed we get them and we beat them. Would be a big win 

Yup. Nova or Xavier. I don't care which to be honest. Xavier is better fans to travel. Nova would likely draw bigger ratings. 

But PS games vs AZ, UNC, Kansas, and Nova would be pretty crazy lol. Glad we have the cupcakes. 

Watch the BE throw us a curve ball though in terms of matchups lol. 

53 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Good work. I say bring them on...Obviously we all want to go 3-1/4-0 against KU, Arizona, UNC, and possibly Villanova. But even going 2-2 (which I think is possible) would be huge. 

I'd be more than happy with 2-2 even if it's Xavier and not Nova. Regardless, it'll boost SoS big time, but most of all, help us improve for the regular season. 

Last time we played Xavier we got whooped up on a bit and we even had Eric Gordon. Before that we actually beat them. I can't which year but I do remember Xavier had Romain Sato and I think it was a pretty good game. That was the game I learned that I shared a name with a university and became a fan out of default.