Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

2022-23 IUBB Schedule

18 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Plenty have been given. Your just choosing to ignore them 

I'm talking specifically to btownqb, who had yet to give an actual reason. I already acknowledged the UNC/Duke fatigue reason, which is the only compelling reason I've seen yet. 

7 hours ago, str8baller said:

By any metric, UVA is one of the top programs in the country. A slew of conf titles in the best conference and a national title. And they still have their HoF coach in his prime. 

So now we've already inducted Bennett into the HoF? What's next erecting a statue in his honor? He certainly has every opportunity to get there, especially with the two predominant ACC programs sporting new, unproven coaches, but can we at least wait until he actually earns it before anointing him the second coming of John Wooden?

I have to admit though, I am coming around to the idea of playing Virginia in the Challenge. Maybe a reasonably solid IU win will reduce this odd fetish some have for Virginia. 

1 hour ago, hoosierbgh said:

I'm talking specifically to btownqb, who had yet to give an actual reason. I already acknowledged the UNC/Duke fatigue reason, which is the only compelling reason I've seen yet. 

I don't need to restate points that have already been stated by multiple other posters. Outside of those already given reasons... I am bored of playing Duke and UNC in the challenge. Specifically UNC at home. I am pretty sure I said that, as well. Duke and UNC do zero for me at this point. 

Friggin pumped to watch us playing KU and AZ. So... knowing that, as well, F Duke and UNC... I would like to play someone else. Me, personal opinion. 

31 minutes ago, hoosierbgh said:

So now we've already inducted Bennett into the HoF? What's next erecting a statue in his honor? He certainly has every opportunity to get there, especially with the two predominant ACC programs sporting new, unproven coaches, but can we at least wait until he actually earns it before anointing him the second coming of John Wooden?

I have to admit though, I am coming around to the idea of playing Virginia in the Challenge. Maybe a reasonably solid IU win will reduce this odd fetish some have for Virginia. 

I have the opposite opinion of you on both matters. 

Tony Bennett would go into the HOF if he retired today. Outside of the Natty he won he has:

• 2x National Coach of Year (3x Henry Iba Award)
  • 7 ACC Titles (5 Regular Season and 2 Conference Tournament)
  • Coach of USA Under 19 Gold Medal Team
  • 72% career winning percentage and 69.8% conference winning percentage
  • 10 NCAA Tournament Appearances, including two at Washington State, arguably the worst job in power 5 basketball

IU being the most marketable and highest ranked preseason team in the Big Ten should give them the opportunity to host one of Duke/UNC, who are also the highest ranked/most marketable teams within the ACC.

4 minutes ago, vemmeistars said:

I have the opposite opinion on you on both matters. 

Tony Bennett would go into the HOF if he retired today. Outside of the Natty he won he has:

• 10 NCAA Tournament Appearances, including two at Washington State, arguably the worst job in power 5 basketball

IU being the most marketable and highest ranked preseason team in the Big Ten should give them the opportunity to host one of Duke/UNC, who are also the highest ranked/most marketable teams within the ACC.

Great post. 

And to the bold. 100% agree, no doubt about it. If that is the only criteria, we are going to be playing those two teams A LOT, even more than we do now, in the challenge, which is fine. Almost my entire "preference" is based on wanting some more variety in the challenge. Give us UNC.. I'll be ready to run my mouth to one of best friends that grew up in Southern Indiana and is a UNC fan...... 

15 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't need to restate points that have already been stated by multiple other posters. Outside of those already given reasons... I am bored of playing Duke and UNC in the challenge. Specifically UNC at home. I am pretty sure I said that, as well. Duke and UNC do zero for me at this point. 

Friggin pumped to watch us playing KU and AZ. So... knowing that, as well, F Duke and UNC... I would like to play someone else. Me, personal opinion. 

It'd saved us both a lot of posts if you bothered stating your own position earlier instead of simply assailing mine. I sympathize with the UNC/Duke fatigue and share it to a large extent. The difference is I'd rather see IU play them and put a nail in the coffin of their relevance, not just avoid them while other team's do so. Duke, especially is just waiting to be knocked down several rungs, IMO. 

30 minutes ago, vemmeistars said:

The goal as fans shouldn’t be to play the most marketable. We should want the game that’s best for our team. Best to prep for season and best for resume.  

They will likely all be the same quad. So that point is a bit irrelevant 

29 minutes ago, vemmeistars said:

I don't disagree that he'll make it and probably has already done enough to earn it, given some of the other HoF members, but I don't see a reason to proclaim it before it actually happens.

The second part was mostly tongue in cheek. I see a lot more benefit to playing those two as well. 

1 minute ago, hoosierbgh said:

It'd saved us both a lot of posts if you bothered stating your own position earlier instead of simply assailing mine. I sympathize with the UNC/Duke fatigue and share it to a large extent. The difference is I'd rather see IU play them and put a nail in the coffin of their relevance, not just avoid them while other team's do so. Duke, especially is just waiting to be knocked down several rungs, IMO. 

You thought I attacked you? No. That didn't happen. You needed to read my posts before YOU quoted me. I stated my opinion literally multiple times. 

I doubt one loss to IU in the ACC/B1G challenge is knocking Duke out of the elite category. 

2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

The goal as fans shouldn’t be to play the most marketable. We should want the game that’s best for our team. Best to prep for season and best for resume.  

I kind of disagree with that. A more marketable game has the potential to appeal more to future recruits than a less marketable one, at least in the short term. A win over Virginia, though they're likely to be a very good team, will be unlikely to have the same cachet with recruits as a win over a possible title contender in UNC or an overhyped Duke. If there is any chance Booker comes to IU and he hasn't decided by that point, being in the crowd for a raucous win over Duke likely helps IU's case far more than a win over Virginia would as an example. 

I kind of disagree with that. A more marketable game has the potential to appeal more to future recruits than a less marketable one, at least in the short term. A win over Virginia, though they're likely to be a very good team, will be unlikely to have the same cachet with recruits as a win over a possible title contender in UNC or an overhyped Duke. If there is any chance Booker comes to IU and he hasn't decided by that point, being in the crowd for a raucous win over Duke likely helps IU's case far more than a win over Virginia would as an example. 

Recruiting wise.. yeah, I'd say a win over Duke/UNC would be better. Especially, if we had a big # of vistors there for that game... which I assume we'd at least have some in state dudes since it's  a midweek game. 

Maybe Perry, Cupps, and Cupps new teammate.. Can't think of his name. 

21 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

You are right that UNC/Virginia/Duke are all probably going to be Q1 games.

I do think playing marquee games against the most talented teams is best for the team/IU in the long term. I have concerns that IU's basketball brand and size of the fanbase are diminishing with an aging fanbase and lost generation from the mediocrity of the past 20 years. Ohio State and Kentucky probably have grown their fanbases with their team's recent success and IU's recent irrelevance. 

IU's opportunity to compete and finish at the top of the conference/nationally is more likely than not going to be tied to the fundraising/NIL capabilities than it is from a tactical advantage they had under Knight/McCracken/Dean/Sampson. 

Also, selfishly I already have an Airbnb booked with some of my IU/UNC alum friends coming down to Bloomington with the intent of seeing UNC or Duke.

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

You thought I attacked you? No. That didn't happen. You needed to read my posts before YOU quoted me. I stated my opinion literally multiple times. 

I doubt one loss to IU in the ACC/B1G challenge is knocking Duke out of the elite category. 

No, I don't think you attacked me. Not at all. I just think you rushed to dismiss a counterpoint with out stating or in this case re-stating your own position. I did miss the prior post where you clearly stated your reasoning, so mea culpa. 

No, it'll be Scheyer that's knocks them out of the elite category, if it happens. I wouldn't mind seeing IU helping him along by giving an L to this year's much hyped team. 

No, I don't think you attacked me. Not at all. I just think you rushed to dismiss a counterpoint with out stating or in this case re-stating your own position. I did miss the prior post where you clearly stated your reasoning, so mea culpa. 

No, it'll be Scheyer that's knocks them out of the elite category, if it happens. I wouldn't mind seeing IU helping him along by giving an L to this year's much hyped team. 

I can't think of a way we don't get one of those 3. I think it'll be UNC. 

14 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

1. UNC

2. Duke

3. Miami

4. No one else

Those are who I'd want to play. 

Why Miami? UVA is a lit better program and a win against them would a bigger win.

33 minutes ago, Five Prime said:

Picture Tennesee football fans claiming they didn't want to play Clemson in a fictitious ACC/SEC football challenge because they aren't marquee names like Florida St or Miami...

Not the same. Duke and North Carolina are coming off final 4 appearances and will have better teams than uva. Wouldn’t want to play them nearly as much if they weren’t projected to be top 10 teams. The brand name/history adds something extra to them just being a quality opponent.