Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

2022-23 IUBB Schedule

5 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Being favored in all your single plays is very favorable. Switch those single plays home for aways and 4-2 would be the projection. As is it’s 6-0 almost certainly 

No -- playing the best teams more often is not the recipe for a better record in conference. Playing MSU, UM, Illinois, Iowa, and Rutgers twice is pretty rough.

As Hovadipo said, I'm glad we got a single against OSU; they're gonna be really good. Three excellent transfers and a top 10 incoming class.

5 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

No -- playing the best teams more often is not the recipe for a better record in conference. Playing MSU, UM, Illinois, Iowa, and Rutgers twice is pretty rough.

As Hovadipo said, I'm glad we got a single against OSU; they're gonna be really good. Three excellent transfers and a top 10 incoming class.

I get that. I am saying that the home and away is favorable because we will be favored in all 6 compared to a switching which would be 4-2.  

We had the most favorable double plays last year possible.  We weren’t ever going to be that fortunate again. 

My guess is metrics have us favored in 15 games next year. We are damn lucky in that considering the cakewalk we had last year 

15 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

The B10 announced the home, away and home/away opponents today. I don’t think the B10 really wants IU to win it because, IMO, they play the toughest home/away opponents of any potential contending team.

Woodson's gonna have to start politicking the B1G office if these Shenanigans keep up.  Bright side.... Strength of Schedule Boost!

Edited by WayneFleekHoosier

I’m still not convinced we didn’t get a decent bunch of home and away. I know Torvik is high on Purdue but they don’t have a PG that’s not insignificant. Especially in their system. 

And Rutgers isn’t going to be that good. 

All I know is I want to play at Illinois in December to hand them a loss before they have any time to gel 

Just now, TheWatShot said:

I hope this doesn't cause our staff and AD to start scouting out the bottom 50 of Kenpom like Crean used to do. 

They know our schedule will always be tough.  

Judging by the fact Woodson was still trying to get University 6 to play a game he’s pretty focused on having a quality SoS

8 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

That's a really tough conference schedule. 

Two bright spots:

1. The three single play 'home only' games are vs a tough OSU team, avoid a miserable and exhausting place to get to in the winter: Nebraska, and avoid the misery of a Kohl road game at Wisconsin.
  2. Except for Ohio State, the whole upper half of the conference gets to have their @$$ kicked by us twice.

2013 Big Ten season was as tough as ever. You had IU, Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State, and Wisconsin all legit. I think IU played OSU, Michigan, and Michigan State on the road as well as home. They won all the road games and lost to only OSU at home. Ended up winning the Big Ten outright. Point is if this team is as good as we think, they're going to do just fine. 

100% agree too..so glad to avoid Madison. 

Ran Some numbers, based on the Torvik rankings Ohio State has the toughest schedule.  Average ranking is higher and their away schedule is just brutal.  With 6 of their 10 opponents in the Top 50 of Torvik.  Illinois only has 6 total with half of those at home.  

So just a straight up numbers game in order of toughness least to most

Illinois, the steak I had last night, Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana and then Ohio State.  

Michigan and Michigan state I think we have enough extra talent to beat them.  Plus we control our own destiny against them a bit more with playing them twice.  If Illinois gels and their talent performs to the level they hope definitely going to be tough to beat them in the standings.  

Indiana Michigan Michigan State Illinois Ohio State
  Home Away Home Away Home Away Home Away Home Away
Mean 49.8 53.1 61.8 54.9 57.9 47.1 62.6 63.6 56.5 43.4
Median 47.5 45 63 52.5 52.5 47.5 63 63 52.5 35.5
Top 50 5 5 3 4 4 5 3 3 4 6
  Nebraska Maryland Nebraska Illinois Maryland Illinois Michigan Iowa Minnesota Nebraska
  Ohio State Minnesota Ohio State Iowa Minnesota Penn State Michigan State Maryland Penn State Indiana
  Wisconsin Penn State Purdue Rutgers Northwestern Wisconsin Rutgers Purdue Wisconsin MIchigan
  Iowa Iowa Indiana Indiana Indiana Indiana Indiana Indiana Illinois Illinois
  Illinois Illinois Maryland Maryland Iowa Iowa Minnesota Minnesota Northwestern Northwestern
  Michigan State Michigan State Michigan State Michigan State Michigan Michigan Nebraska Nebraska Michigan State Michigan State
  Michigan Michigan Minnesota Minnesota Nebraska Nebraska Northwestern Northwestern Purdue Purdue
  Northwestern Northwestern Northwestern Northwestern Ohio State Ohio State Ohio State Ohio State Maryland Maryland
  Rutgers Rutgers Penn State Penn State Purdue Purdue Wisconsin Wisconsin Rutgers Rutgers
  Purdue Purdue Wisconsin Wisconsin Rutgers Rutgers Penn State Penn State Iowa Iowa

Interestingly enough I switched Purdue and Ohio State.  The situation where Ohio State is good and Purdue isn't then the schedules balance a bit more.  

Hopefully this board is right and Ohio State will be good and Purdue will SUCK

Indiana Michigan Michigan State Illinois Ohio State
  Home Away Home Away Home Away Home Away Home Away
Mean 49.8 56.4 61.8 54.9 57.9 47.1 59.3 63.6 59.8 46.7
Median 47.5 52.5 63 52.5 52.5 47.5 60 63 58 45
Top 50 5 4 3 4 4 5 4 3 3 5
  Nebraska Maryland Nebraska Illinois Maryland Illinois Michigan Iowa Minnesota Nebraska
  Ohio State Minnesota Ohio State Iowa Minnesota Penn State Michigan State Maryland Penn State Indiana
  Wisconsin Penn State Purdue Rutgers Northwestern Wisconsin Rutgers Purdue Wisconsin MIchigan
  Iowa Iowa Indiana Indiana Indiana Indiana Indiana Indiana Illinois Illinois
  Illinois Illinois Maryland Maryland Iowa Iowa MInnesota MInnesota Northwestern Northwestern
  Michigan State Michigan State Michigan State Michigan State Michigan Michigan Nebraska Nebraska Michigan State Michigan State
  Michigan Michigan Minnesota Minnesota Nebraska Nebraska Northwestern Northwestern Purdue Purdue
  Northwestern Northwestern Northwestern Northwestern Ohio State Ohio State Ohio State Ohio State Maryland Maryland
  Rutgers Rutgers Penn State Penn State Purdue Purdue Wisconsin Wisconsin Rutgers Rutgers
  Purdue Purdue Wisconsin Wisconsin Rutgers Rutgers Penn State Penn State Iowa Iowa

So looks like the Gavitt matchups were announced June 24th last year.  And the ACC challenge matchups were June 28th. Hopefully we don’t have to wait much longer to know the meat and potatoes of of our schedule 

Personally I want Villanova and Virginia 

I don't see anything "out of the ordinary" difficult. Personally, I don't think we have any idea who the top teams will be.. UM, MSU, Iowa? None of those teams are scary. 

Our 6 single opponent games should all be Ws. Heckuva draw in that regard. 

5 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

It amazes me how little respect Virginia the most recent ACC team to win a title gets.  

Virginia just ain't gonna be on that level next season. They'll be a tourney team I think, but the ACC is Duke and UNC and then everyone else. Maybe Miami. We are projected to win the Big Ten. We should play one of the two best teams from the ACC. Same for the Big East.