Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

Indiana at Wisconsin Game Thread

47 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

I saw him get after X in the first half when he had that foul where the Wis player actually hooked him.   

Yes he did and he did it again in the 2nd half after he picked up his 3rd foul. He should have pulled him down the stretch though, when he tried to play hero.  He should of explained to him that he isn’t the go to guy, TJD is and Race or Parker should be our 2nd/3rd option, not him

5 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

Another thought: can anyone remember the last time we ever had a 22 point lead against Wisconsin? Had to be sometime when Knight was coaching. 

I remember plenty of blowouts of UW in our 31 straight wins against them.  In 87 I think we beat by around 30 in AH..  when we went up there the game went to 3ot

We also have 3 new starters, a new staff learning a new team, whole team learning a new system and we’re only 12 games in counting the Bahamas trip. I think everyone is learning each other.

I realize this but the minimum from day 1 should be smart effort, hell even effort. We go through stretches where we become extremely easy to guard because we stand around. That shouldn’t need 12 games to learn.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

10 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Yes he did and he did it again in the 2nd half after he picked up his 3rd foul. He should have pulled him down the stretch though, when he tried to play hero.  He should of explained to him that he isn’t the go to guy, TJD is and Race or Parker should be our 2nd/3rd option, not him

Was he trying to play hero or was he doing that because everyone else seemed content to just stand around. I don't know the answer to that. CMW obviously cares and is engaged, but he is still learning who he can depend on in tight games. I think we will continue to get better. Will we improve enough to satisfy the fans? Only time will answer that question.

3 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

I believe there was discussion around this immediately following the hire. If you know basketball at the NBA level then you can coach college. There were some bad coaching decisions made last night, anyone could see that. It seemed like the coaching staff just thought we would bounce back at some point and that Wiscy consistently chipping away didn't mean much. When another team is making a run you put your most productive lineup on the floor and stem the tide. We attempted to buy time and allowed them to make it a game.

I truly hope the coaching staff learned from this. I don't have a lot of confidence as we are still learning to play with smart effort.

Frankly, I didn't see much difference between the subs and the starters in the second half. I thought it was curious that CMW left them on the bench as long as he did, but when the starters went back in, they did absolutely nothing.

1 hour ago, cthomas said:

Was he trying to play hero or was he doing that because everyone else seemed content to just stand around. I don't know the answer to that. CMW obviously cares and is engaged, but he is still learning who he can depend on in tight games. I think we will continue to get better. Will we improve enough to satisfy the fans? Only time will answer that question.

I think they were standing around because the ball stuck in ANC’s hands!  

I agree, we will continue to get better and we will see incremental improvement from individual players

6 hours ago, Trish said:

Watched the second half again. Just basic thoughts.

- Wisconsin didn't face guard or do anything drastic to change our looks.

- The amount of second chances ops Wisconsin had through offensive rebounding was killer. Our effort was very poor.

- We returned to the Archie Miller offense! The amount of standing around we did while hoping Johnson or TJD made a play was BAD. 

- Phinisee is BAD. It's amazing what happened to his "regression/progression" over the years. Our best hope is throwing Kristian in there and allowing him to learn through mistakes similar to last year. 

- I dont think Trey helps in this game and Leal didn't exactly do anything, still don't think he's a Big Ten player. Chris might be right, he's an assembly hall player. 

- Coaching staff was quite disappointing last night. We have THREE veteran Big Ten Coaches on staff. Thad, Dane, and Hunter. While Thad can't coach, our assistants I'm sure are still learning to work with an NBA coach in Woodson. Woodson is coaching the "worst" players he's had in his career more than likely, I'm sure it's an adjustment to say the least but last night was not acceptable. Leaving our starters out that long during the second and letting Johnson act like Russell Westbrook on the court was not ideal. Woodson has to be better. Did anyone see him loose his cool? I didn't. I was expecting to see him get into some faces. 

Still have us at 20-11. After last night, it's hard to see it but.. I'll try to stay positive.  

I don’t understand all the Rob Phinisee hate on here.  Has he met outside expectations coming out of high school?  Probably not.  However, he has been through a lot and I admire his toughness for starters.  He seems to be a good teammate that plays hard and is well liked.  On the the court he provides good defense and knows where the ball is supposed to go.  He is also not afraid to fight for rebounds for a 6’0” point guard.  His offense is limited and his shooting numbers are not good but he does bring value in other ways.  I like me some Rob Phinisee.

We have seen two different coaching staff’s get a good look at K. Lander.  Some people are wanting to see him get 10-20 minutes per game.  I mean he is our #3 point guard and doesn’t bring the value so I think him not getting minutes is right where he should be.  He has two upper classmates ahead of him who bring more. He doesn’t defend like Rob does and he doesn’t get the ball to the right spots like Rob does.  I have seen a couple times where he has just completely missed TJD around the rim.  I mean you can’t miss your All American for buckets like that. Nope, can’t happen.  Not to mention the end of the Cuse game.  I like KL and I hope he continues to work and getter better.  Some are worried he will enter the portal.  I hope that’s not the case but if it is we will move on.

Trey would have helped in this game.  He is our biggest piece off the bench.  
I strongly disagree about Leal.  He provides a spark and he had some really nice games on the road last year as well so I don’t know where that’s coming from. Anthony Leal should be playing more minutes.  He can shoot it and has had some really nifty passes that a lot of players can’t make that has led to buckets.  He is also holding his own on the defensive end which I was concerned about and is very active on both ends.  

**I would love to see a lot more Anthony Leal and a lot less Jordan Geronimo.

34 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

I don’t understand all the Rob Phinisee hate on here.  Has he met outside expectations coming out of high school?  Probably not.  However, he has been through a lot and I admire his toughness for starters.  He seems to be a good teammate that plays hard and is well liked.  On the the court he provides good defense and knows where the ball is supposed to go.  He is also not afraid to fight for rebounds for a 6’0” point guard.  His offense is limited and his shooting numbers are not good but he does bring value in other ways.  I like me some Rob Phinisee.

We have seen two different coaching staff’s get a good look at K. Lander.  Some people are wanting to see him get 10-20 minutes per game.  I mean he is our #3 point guard and doesn’t bring the value so I think him not getting minutes is right where he should be.  He has two upper classmates ahead of him who bring more. He doesn’t defend like Rob does and he doesn’t get the ball to the right spots like Rob does.  I have seen a couple times where he has just completely missed TJD around the rim.  I mean you can’t miss your All American for buckets like that. Nope, can’t happen.  Not to mention the end of the Cuse game.  I like KL and I hope he continues to work and getter better.  Some are worried he will enter the portal.  I hope that’s not the case but if it is we will move on.

I strongly disagree about Leal.  He provides a spark and he had some really nice games on the road last year as well so I don’t know where that’s coming from. Anthony Leal should be playing more minutes.  He can shoot it and has had some really nifty passes that a lot of players can’t make that has led to buckets.  He is also holding his own on the defensive end which I was concerned about and is very active on both ends.  

CMW put together the best roster he could given what was available. I think we can see what he wants by the kids he is recruiting. He is trying to figure out how to maximize what he has. I too like Lander and want to see him succeed. But, right now, CMW is playing the guys he believes give us the best chance to win. Leal is coming along nicely and we need Galloway back. Geronimo has an incredible upside but seems to be struggling a little finding his role. If he would just concentrate on defense and rebounding right now, he would provide more value. The offense will come when he relaxes and lets the game come to him.

10 hours ago, IU - Kaulie said:

Jordan Geronimo outperformed Leal Wednesday night by a long shot. Hit all of his free throws, had some great rebounds, played really well other than the missed dunk. Leal played alright defense but nothing else.

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

Jordan Geronimo outperformed Leal Wednesday night by a long shot. Hit all of his free throws, had some great rebounds, played really well other than the missed dunk. Leal played alright defense but nothing else.

Well they have different roles so it's hard to say who was outplayed. I will agree though that it was Jordan's best game since St. John's. When he understands his role as doing the dirty work and not trying to be an offensive playmaker he is a great asset to this team.

Wednesday was certainly a step in the right direction

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

To be fair….he didn’t hit all of his free throws he was 3 of 4) and the missed dunk represented one of two shots he took (he missed both).  He rebounded and defended well but you’d really like to see him get a bucket or two.

1 hour ago, brumdog45 said:

To be fair….he didn’t hit all of his free throws he was 3 of 4) and the missed dunk represented one of two shots he took (he missed both).  He rebounded and defended well but you’d really like to see him get a bucket or two.

I actually think that will come.  If he rebounds and defends, that is what we need out of him and when he scores, that will be the icing on the cake, IMO.

The bottom line is that in the 2nd half nobody was doing what you need to do to get open shots. Stewart and Kopp are catch and shoot players, not players who can drive to the hoop. Yet, they rarely moved to get open.   TJD and Race Thompson more often than not, planted themselves on the block and rarely moved. Wisconsin adjusted at half time but Indiana did not adjust to their changes. Rob Phinisee played poorly the whole game. When Johnson went out the second half, Woodson should have gone to Kristian Lander. He couldn't have played any worse than Rob. This was the first game when Woodson's lack of college coaching experience showed.

15 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Jordan thrived against an undersized cupcake with a 2-3 zone.

That is not indicative of future outings in ANY way.

Maybe not, but it can be a confidence builder.  The next few games could tell a lot.  Sometimes it doesn’t take much to get a players confidence back and a game like this could be the first step towards that!

2 hours ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Maybe not, but it can be a confidence builder.  The next few games could tell a lot.  Sometimes it doesn’t take much to get a players confidence back and a game like this could be the first step towards that!

Agreed!

I’m a big JG fan, but I think reasonable expectations dictate that there will be many ups and downs.

The scheme that he’s playing against will determine his effectiveness on some occasions.