Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

Indiana at Wisconsin Game Thread

1 hour ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

True that no quad 3 or 4 losses is good but quad 3 and 4 wins are meaningless as well. And w/ our schedule, 21 wins could mean 15 or so quad 3 and 4 wins. Which might mean a combined something like 6-11 or 6-12 in quads 1 and 2. I don't think that gets it done. 

Need to go 11-9 in the B1G to sneak in imo.  10-10 just won't cut it given our abysmal non conference schedule.  Now if we have wins over PU, Illinois, UM, OSU, etc then 10-10 might get it done.

21 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

I've secretly been hoping that you'd come tell me that I'm wrong and I probably just need to go eat a banana and sit outside for a while. :-) 

I remain skeptical, but the tournament resume guru's level-headedness is helping. Thank you!

They are still going to have to win some games against top NET teams away or home and they at least need to get a couple away from home against whoever.  Last night would of been a great first step.

The thing the will help B1G teams is that 10 of their teams are in the NET top 57 as of today.  IU gained 5 spots last night to 51 lol.    

The other 4 teams will have better numbers after they get some home wins against these higher ranked teams.  Should be fun to track 

2 hours ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

With how weak our non-conference resume will be, I really don't think .500 in the conference will do it. We have to hope that St. John's has a great season just to have one single decent non-conference win. So if we look at our 10 most winnable conference games, likely none of them are really resume builders. Maybe 1 or 2 of those wins could turn into quad 1 wins by the end of the year. On the flip side if we end up at .500 but managed to pull out 3-4 quad 1 wins that likely means we had some bad losses along the way. I think even at 11-9 in conference we are sweating it out.  I'm personally having a hard time seeing more than 9 conference wins. I really hope I'm wrong.

Well if I were a betting man I would say that 10-10 in the Big Ten will get you in if you have no bad losses in out of conference play. Certainly Idk that because it depends on other teams. But I would be a surprised if it didn't get them in after they were to go 10-1 in nonconference.

As of right now, IU still has 13 games against quad 1&2 opponents. That is plenty. Just have to win games, the rest will take care of itself. 

Watched the second half again. Just basic thoughts.

- Wisconsin didn't face guard or do anything drastic to change our looks.

- The amount of second chances ops Wisconsin had through offensive rebounding was killer. Our effort was very poor.

- We returned to the Archie Miller offense! The amount of standing around we did while hoping Johnson or TJD made a play was BAD. 

- Phinisee is BAD. It's amazing what happened to his "regression/progression" over the years. Our best hope is throwing Kristian in there and allowing him to learn through mistakes similar to last year. 

- I dont think Trey helps in this game and Leal didn't exactly do anything, still don't think he's a Big Ten player. Chris might be right, he's an assembly hall player. 

- Coaching staff was quite disappointing last night. We have THREE veteran Big Ten Coaches on staff. Thad, Dane, and Hunter. While Thad can't coach, our assistants I'm sure are still learning to work with an NBA coach in Woodson. Woodson is coaching the "worst" players he's had in his career more than likely, I'm sure it's an adjustment to say the least but last night was not acceptable. Leaving our starters out that long during the second and letting Johnson act like Russell Westbrook on the court was not ideal. Woodson has to be better. Did anyone see him loose his cool? I didn't. I was expecting to see him get into some faces. 

Still have us at 20-11. After last night, it's hard to see it but.. I'll try to stay positive.  

3 minutes ago, Trish said:

- The amount of second chances ops Wisconsin had through offensive rebounding was killer. Our effort was very poor.

- We returned to the Archie Miller offense! The amount of standing around we did while hoping Johnson or TJD made a play was BAD. 

- Phinisee is BAD. It's amazing what happened to his "regression/progression" over the years. Our best hope is throwing Kristian in there and allowing him to learn through mistakes similar to last year. 

- I dont think Trey helps in this game and Leal didn't exactly do anything, still don't think he's a Big Ten player. Chris might be right, he's an assembly hall player. 

- Coaching staff was quite disappointing last night. We have THREE veteran Big Ten Coaches on staff. Thad, Dane, and Hunter. While Thad can't coach, our assistants I'm sure are still learning to work with an NBA coach in Woodson. Woodson is coaching the "worst" players he's had in his career more than likely, I'm sure it's an adjustment to say the least but last night was not acceptable. Leaving our starters out that long during the second and letting Johnson act like Russell Westbrook on the court was not ideal. Woodson has to be better. Did anyone see him loose his cool? I didn't. I was expecting to see him get into some faces. 

Still have us at 20-11. After last night, it's hard to see it but.. I'll try to stay positive.  

Not to be hard on the kid but I hope I'm not right, hope he makes strides and helps us on the road this year.

I think people are confused with what Matta is doing. We don't have the Ohio St Matta. He is helping with scheduling, watching tapes of recruits, and some things like that. Yes, he sits in on the basketball meetings but I don't think he's being leaned on for the help of this team. He's learning how to be an AD, that is the goal is for him to take over as the next AD at Butler. After getting sick last week, I don't think he even traveled to the game last night.  

6 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Not to be hard on the kid but I hope I'm not right, hope he makes strides and helps us on the road this year.

I think people are confused with what Matta is doing. We don't have the Ohio St Matta. He is helping with scheduling, watching tapes of recruits, and some things like that. Yes, he sits in on the basketball meetings but I don't think he's being leaned on for the help of this team. He's learning how to be an AD, that is the goal is for him to take over as the next AD at Butler. After getting sick last week, I don't think he even traveled to the game last night.  

Yeah I didn't see him last night next to Scott so I thought that was interesting. 

Good note on him though, didn't know he wanted to be an AD! 

3 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I mean his best game came on the road last year at the Kohl Center. yes no fans, but not assembly hall. Plus he hit a huge shot at Iowa in the second half last year.

I saw a kid last night who played great defense against Davison and Davis at the end of the first half. Not sure how it can be a question of whether he is a big ten caliber player. In his limited time of play he has literally made the two best passes of anyone on the team, hit a deep three, and played good enough defense to keep him on the floor. Strong disagree from me. 

Just now, Trish said:

Yeah I didn't see him last night next to Scott so I thought that was interesting. 

Good note on him though, didn't know he wanted to be an AD! 

Two things I get from talking to people is one Matta knows he's probably never going to coach again. Second Woody has let it be known that this is his program and he will run it how he wants. When they agreed to this relationship it was Woody that said Matta would not be allowed to speak to the media. 

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Two things I get from talking to people is one Matta knows he's probably never going to coach again. Second Woody has let it be known that this is his program and he will run it how he wants. When they agreed to this relationship it was Woody that said Matta would not be allowed to speak to the media. 

Sounds fair from Woodson's part. I like that he's hard nose'd in a way, at least from my outside IU basketball perspective. But I'm hoping him being "old school" doesn't hurt us on the court. He's still learning college basketball, which of course is different than the NBA so I'm trying to be fair for him. Just disappointing to blow a 22 point lead when our team is much better than last years. 

1 hour ago, Trish said:

Sounds fair from Woodson's part. I like that he's hard nose'd in a way, at least from my outside IU basketball perspective. But I'm hoping him being "old school" doesn't hurt us on the court. He's still learning college basketball, which of course is different than the NBA so I'm trying to be fair for him. Just disappointing to blow a 22 point lead when our team is much better than last years. 

I believe there was discussion around this immediately following the hire. If you know basketball at the NBA level then you can coach college. There were some bad coaching decisions made last night, anyone could see that. It seemed like the coaching staff just thought we would bounce back at some point and that Wiscy consistently chipping away didn't mean much. When another team is making a run you put your most productive lineup on the floor and stem the tide. We attempted to buy time and allowed them to make it a game.

I truly hope the coaching staff learned from this. I don't have a lot of confidence as we are still learning to play with smart effort.

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

Now the other thing that is good is I have never seen a coach at IU who listens to his assistants & staff as much as Woodson does. So that's a good thing, but it is his program. 

That’s part of the reason I’m so sour on Lander.  If he isn’t playing, he’s not

even impressing assistant coaches.

1 hour ago, HoosierAloha said:

I believe there was discussion around this immediately following the hire. If you know basketball at the NBA level then you can coach college. There were some bad coaching decisions made last night, anyone could see that. It seemed like the coaching staff just thought we would bounce back at some point and that Wiscy consistently chipping away didn't mean much. When another team is making a run you put your most productive lineup on the floor and stem the tide. We attempted to buy time and allowed them to make it a game.

I truly hope the coaching staff learned from this. I don't have a lot of confidence as we are still learning to play with smart effort.

We also have 3 new starters, a new staff learning a new team, whole team learning a new system and we’re only 12 games in counting the Bahamas trip. I think everyone is learning each other.

Last night wasn’t unexpected after watching this team so far. We had a second half letdown against Eastern Michigan. We had a second half letdown against St. John’s. We struggled in the first half against Marshall. We struggled in the first half against Nebraska and Syracuse. We had a meltdown in the second half against Wisconsin. 

We haven’t played a complete game against a team with a pulse this year. It’s a trend that Woody put a stop to. 

29 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Last night wasn’t unexpected after watching this team so far. We had a second half letdown against Eastern Michigan. We had a second half letdown against St. John’s. We struggled in the first half against Marshall. We struggled in the first half against Nebraska and Syracuse. We had a meltdown in the second half against Wisconsin. 

We haven’t played a complete game against a team with a pulse this year. It’s a trend that Woody put a stop to. 

I think it just shows that these players truly dont understand what it takes to win in college basketball. 

getting by on pure talent isn’t enough anymore. Takes full effort for 40 minutes to be good and successful. Clearly they haven’t grasped that yet. 

3 hours ago, Trish said:

I saw him get after X in the first half when he had that foul where the Wis player actually hooked him.