Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

Indiana at Wisconsin Game Thread

44 minutes ago, kreigh8 said:

Firmly believe it's a combination of being from Indiana as a 5* recruit and since he reclassed early he's not held to as high of standard. The recruit from Indiana mantra, after all, was cited as a reason Archie would succeed many a times. 

I'm starting to think Archie begging him to graduate early in 2020 was his hail Mary chance of staying long term at IU. He saw the writing on the wall that things weren't going well. 

1 hour ago, brumdog45 said:

I'm sure Woodson understands that.   

And I don't care about the star rating.  I've seen Lander play and two coaches have seen him practice day in and day out, as has a pretty good assistant in Dane Fife.  I assume that they are expecting that Lander will transfer after the year and feel that is for the best.  IMO, that says something about what Lander actually brings to the team.

I think this is 100% accurate.

38 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

I don’t really root for any other teams besides IU I just hope for good games.  Going into the second half of this game I had the sick feeling that Wisky would make a run and would make this a game.  Knew they game would be over if they got this down 2 a 1 or 2 possession game.  Winning programs with kids that have had a taste of success seem to find ways to win games.   Programs that haven’t had success with kids that haven’t tasted success (1 kid on the roster that has played in the ncaa tournament, Kopp) revert back to losing ways when things go bad.   Right now IU doesn’t know how to win.  0-2 in true road games with a chance to win both.  Missed opportunities.  Wisky is probably one of the harder road games on the schedule and missing out will sting

good news is they have 9 other chances at road wins with most of those being more winnable then this one.  Bad news is if they don’t grow up and learn from this then same crap different year will sit in.  

Bingo. That was my biggest worry before the start of the season. These kids while I guess are talented have never won at the big time level of college basketball. I don't think Kopp has even played in the NCAA tournament. Don't think he was there in 2017. 

I don't have time to read 34 page of rants so I'll just add my 2 cents and be on my way.

1.  For those who wanted to see Lander at the end, I think coach has seen enough for now.  Couldn't get a pass off or a shot at the end of the 1st overtime at Syracuse and then made the foul at the end of the 2nd to cost us the win, when Jackson-Davis was in position to block the shot.  Not plays made by a gamer.  The trust is gone.

2.  Johnson can be our best point guard but he flat out lost this game for us and coach let him do it.  Very disappointed.  From the time he reentered the game for the last time all he did was play 1 on 5 glory ball.  He just kept crashing into the lane and throwing up crazy shots.  Coach shouldn't have put up with that ****.  If Johnson didn't want to take on the responsibility of a point guard Coach should have put his a** back on the bench.  The message should have been plain.  Do it my way or don't play.  Phinisee may not be as good as Johnson but at that point in the game he would have been looking for the open man instead of trying to be a hero.  

Rant over.

I always thought the same thing too. I live in Evansville and have seen him play multiple times. I thought he was the kind of kid that could be a pretty good college player. Never saw 5 star. My thing about this year is that it is supposed to be his actual freshman season. Yet he is sitting on the bench. I do think he is worthy of playing time (10-15 min), but he is no 5 star. 

I saw him play in high school a few times as well and I agree.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, HoosierTrav said:

I’m trying my best not to be hyperbolic here but that was the worst half of coaching, I’ve seen, out of an Indiana head coach, that I can remember. Of course my memory is **** but I’m trying to remember a worse half and I can’t do it. I’m sure Archie had some bad games/half’s. Woody pissed down his leg on this one. 

I really....REALLY don't want to agree with this 100%.   But.....

33 minutes ago, BottomLine said:

I don't have time to read 34 page of rants so I'll just add my 2 cents and be on my way.

1.  For those who wanted to see Lander at the end, I think coach has seen enough for now.  Couldn't get a pass off or a shot at the end of the 1st overtime at Syracuse and then made the foul at the end of the 2nd to cost us the win, when Jackson-Davis was in position to block the shot.  Not plays made by a gamer.  The trust is gone.

2.  Johnson can be our best point guard but he flat out lost this game for us and coach let him do it.  Very disappointed.  From the time he reentered the game for the last time all he did was play 1 on 5 glory ball.  He just kept crashing into the lane and throwing up crazy shots.  Coach shouldn't have put up with that ****.  If Johnson didn't want to take on the responsibility of a point guard Coach should have put his a** back on the bench.  The message should have been plain.  Do it my way or don't play.  Phinisee may not be as good as Johnson but at that point in the game he would have been looking for the open man instead of trying to be a hero.  

Rant over.

It’d be incredibly silly for Woody to stop playing Lander because of a couple bad decisions at the end of a game he was thrown into ice cold after sitting on the bench for the first 39:55. His play at the end of regulation helped get us into overtime, and he hit a 3 in the second overtime to cut the lead to 1 with 25 seconds left. Were those plays “made by a gamer”? Woody has shown he has no problem playing guys who makes mistakes. Xavier made a couple dozen of them tonight but kept playing. Rob shots 20% from 3 and kills our offense but he keeps playing. 

There has to be a reason Lander isn't playing, especially since since Matta and Fife (at MSU) coached plenty of good college players.  He's either not ready, not that good, or some behind the scenes issue.  That's coming from a person that has said, and stands by, the state of Indiana should be a recruiting priority because we should try to take full advantage of being in the heart of a recruiting hotspot and this state produces some very smart players.

9 hours ago, ebridges24 said:

Coaching staff should have been on top of it. TJD was stuck on 8 shots, Parker 5 and Kopp 5 for what seemed like forever.

That’s because the seemed to get stuck in our two point guards hands

10 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

Syracuse should've been a teaching moment.  We won't make the tournament playing only one half a game in conference.

They both should be.  Every game, no matter the outcome, should be a teaching moment.  I do agree, we’ve got to start playing both halves well!  We played the 2nd half of the Syracuse game well and the 1st half of the Wisconsin game well, but the other two halves, a high school team could have beat us.  CMW has to get that corrected and soon!

8 hours ago, BottomLine said:

Rant over.

That’s the part that makes me disappointed with Woodson and the staff. I can stomach a bad half. It happens, especially on the road. But you want to go down running your stuff looking for good shots. That was way too reminiscent of the DavisCreanArchie years. 

10 hours ago, kreigh8 said:

Thus the problem. X can get downhill when Phinisee can't/won't. I'm confident Lander can't guard  well enough against Big10 guards and when I watch on offense he looks tentative and trying to avoid the mistakes. We have little choice to throw X out there if he's not in foul trouble, which he can easily be baited into. We need better PG play pronto. Can JHS reclassify like now? So frustrating

I know Bates had his moments in yesterday’s game but could we play him at point guard.  What about Leal?  I am for trying someone other than those 3.  I can’t wait for Trey Galloway to come back, I know he could play it.  

we need better point guard play, instead of a head case, Mr. Timid, and no D

9 hours ago, rcs29 said:

This may be a bit of a pot/kettle thing coming from me but holy crap some of you guys need to breathe. I'm not surprised Wis won this game, not surprised IU blew a 22 point lead but what I am surprised about is that IU somehow had a 22 point lead at any point tonight. As bad as IU's 2nd half was Wis had a nearly equally bad 1st half. Neither team played a complete game and that happens in college basketball. I was actually more angry about the 1st half of the Syracuse game than this one. Also all the Lander pandering doesn't make much sense to me. Do you honestly think the staff is oblivious to the dumpster fire that is our PG situation? The fact he can't sniff the court with X and Rob in front of him should tell you what real life CBB coaches think of Lander. Now I agree there is a trend of not playing a full 40 minutes and that is alarming. I am also concerned that losing is in the culture with this program and that is tough to come back from. I guess what's keeping me semi-level this year is that I am actually enjoying watching IU basketball again (albeit disappointing in many ways) and that is more than I can say for the previous 6 years......baby steps.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

This I agree with!  Did CMW make mistakes in yesterday’s game, yes and he owned them!  Did X play selfish and pathetic in the 2nd half, yes!  Are those things correctable?  Yes!  

Let’s see what happens over the next 3 or 4 games!  We are 1-1 in the B10 and 7-2 overall, with our 2 loses winnable if we play even 35 minutes of basketball, but if we play 40, I still think we are a top 20 team.  The 1st half of the Wisconsin game and 2nd half of the Syracuse game shows our capability!

Woody said from the beginning he would rely on his assistants, so I hope that is true.... but if it is then what the heck are the assistants thinking.... in the NBA you can play your 2nd string and still be GREAT players... but this isn't the NBA... .went WAY too long with the 2nd string in as Wisconsin continued to close the gap.... I don't know specifics and maybe I am wrong but it seemed like at least 8 or so minutes with 1 starter (Kopp first, then PStew) in the game with 4 bench guys.... Geronimo, Leal, Durr, Rob P.... I like our 2nd unit and I think we have some depth but you gotta stop a run... put the starters back in... if they can't handle that many minutes then they need to run all day everyday.... because  they weren't in foul trouble... they weren't benched for performance....