Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

Indiana at Wisconsin Game Thread

2 hours ago, OldBuddy67 said:

Exactly! With that being said I hate to admit I just don't see a win from the Hoosiers! I wish I had more optimism but we just haven't won  games we aren't supposed to anymore in a long time. Syracuse game prolonged that feeling for me. We clearly are better than the Orange yet still lost. We need to kick the door down and win some games like tonight. Hope I am wrong!

I am truly optimistic!  Some new players, new coaches, new system + Wisconsin overachieving = winnable game! 

Based on how Wisconsin has played so far and their players, we should comfortably out-rebound them, and TJD and Race have a distinct advantage against their bigs. 

Related, but for Wisconsin's typical home-cooking refs, TJD and Race should both be at the stripe, and if, officials willing, they're shooting the FT's they should, they need to connect on them, as that could absolutely be the difference between the expected L and a W.

Wisconsin, though, turns opponents over and we turn it over at terrible rate, and will lose if we do so tonight.

And Wisconsin plays methodically, very slow pace, and they take care of the ball. 

So yeah, rebound, get to the line (come on zebras) and hit the FTs, avoid careless TO's, avoid foul trouble especially X, and we have a legit shot.

16 hours ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Geronimo has excellent upside and has already shown good D, give him run and he’ll contribute, sit him and try to play 9 with tighter rotations and we fall into a hole repeatedly in the first half because we have a defensive liability on the wing whose shot has been inconsistent but who has nonetheless sometimes continued to shoot repeatedly while missing everything leaving a lack of offensive balance, and a really good point but who can’t help but foul early.
I’ve never been in the 8-9 man rotation camp, we do have depth and should use it. We have guys who are close whi need run, so they help when they come in and aren’t ice cold and lacking floor chemistry (we’ve already seen that).

We are missing Galloway though - he was really coming on, and that’s because he got developed, the guy who couldn’t shoot got better with time and run, playing to his strengths as a point-forward type.

6 hours ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Most of the substitutions will come during the first half.  That is 9 you named, JG will get minutes because of his ability to guard multiple positions.  At the Bahamas, JG was one of their best players off the bench.  I think he’s in a little funk, give him a little more games and I bet he’ll snap out of it and give us positive minutes.

I hope he improves because it will makes us stronger.  As a student I have been to most of the home games and I know several on here go to games as well.  He gets lost a lot on defense.  To the point you can here the moans from the crowd when he is out of position.  I don’t know how it translates to television or whatever but live it’s really noticeable.  He is also just plain awful at the free throw line and their really is no excuse for being that bad.  At most right now he should be used for a 3-5 minute run in the first half to give the starters a quick breather and that’s it.  Anthony Leal is deserving of more minutes.  Minutes have to be earned.

35 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

I hope he improves because it will makes us stronger.  As a student I have been to most of the home games and I know several on here go to games as well.  He gets lost a lot on defense.  To the point you can here the moans from the crowd when he is out of position.  I don’t know how it translates to television or whatever but live it’s really noticeable.  He is also just plain awful at the free throw line and their really is no excuse for being that bad.  At most right now he should be used for a 3-5 minute run in the first half to give the starters a quick breather and that’s it.  Anthony Leal is deserving of more minutes.  Minutes have to be earned.

I agree with the Leal part, he’s worked his tail off and he needs more minutes.  I don’t see Geronimo getting out of position on D when I am watching it at home.  I’ll pay closer attention to him when he is in the game.  I do think he has a lot of upside because he is has length and he is very athletic.  I know he played important minutes in the Bahamas and his teammates were singing his praises, but I don’t know what has changed since then, maybe a confidence thing!  

People, I’d like to win this game. We’re either good or mediocre again. And to be good we’ve got to steal a few of these that could go either way. 

We are a little better on offense, and a little better on defense. So let’s keep the ball when we have it and let the game play out. 

As much as we talk about the bench, I’d like our starters to show out tonight, and not just X and Trayce. And yeah I’d like to see some fire in these guys, like it’s a fight they want to win. 

1 minute ago, Stromboli said:

People, I’d like to win this game. We’re either good or mediocre again. And to be good we’ve got to steal a few of these that could go either way. 

We are a little better on offense, and a little better on defense. So let’s keep the ball when we have it and let the game play out. 

As much as we talk about the bench, I’d like our starters to show out tonight, and not just X and Trayce. And yeah I’d like to see some fire in these guys, like it’s a fight they want to win. 

Well said!

5 hours ago, IUc2016 said:

What's the over/under on Davison arm pulls and crotch shots tonight?

His sole focus early will be to provoke X into retaliation fouls and relegate him to the bench. Surely Woody recognizes that and has had Fife dressed for practice this week as the Davison scout player.

32 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

I'd love to see that fight out of this team. Hopefully, we come out fighting and not sleep walking. The Kohl's Center perpetuates that sleepy vibe so we might see early run from the bench mob if the starters commence sleep walking when the ball is tossed.

36 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

Couldn't agree more. The Syracuse game was our chance to show we don't need Assembly Hall as a crutch, and the first half was same old, same old. 

I've compared this season to Sampson's first team, which took some tough L's in December and had people complaining that it still looked like Mike Davis was in charge. Around the second week of January was when things started to click for that group. I wish this game was later in the season because we're still trying to shed the slow/sleepy/timid tendencies Archie Miller inflicted upon this program. 

1 hour ago, Hoosierfanyuh said:

You guys think a W warrants a top 25 rank?

I don't see that it really matters in the grand scheme. If the team is coached to play "against themselves" every game, to achieve the perfect game, the opponent doesn't matter. 

Rankings are noise for fans and their (our) couch coaching.

Players should focus on the perfect game not being 1 point better than the next guy... Wax on, wax off. YOU are your #1 opponent.

OK, I've said it. At least I tried. It's a nice dream.

On 12/6/2021 at 12:12 PM, AKHoosier said:

This is the 1 game per year I refuse to watch.

I can't take 8 on 5 basketball. The flops, holding, and tackling masquerading as "tough defense" make my blood boil just thinking about it.

There are some games that I willfully choose to record and then decide later whether or not to watch.  We have guests in the house and I am self aware enough to know that I am a complete ******* in games where I feel IU is getting shafted.  For the peace of the house, it's probably one I DVR and watch on gamecast and decide afterwards whether to watch.  Would love to be able to be calm enough to watch live....but realistic enough to know it's not worth having to sleep on the couch afterwards.

My one wish in life is to build a time machine so that I could bring back Draymond Green to play against Davison just one time.  The amount of cheap **** that would go on would be astounding.  Would undoubtedly end in a fight.

And who would win in a fight between Davison and Green?

Society.