Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierX

Offensive Coordinator - Walt Bell

The man, at one point, said not playing football was worse than his parents dying, (yeah, he wasn't close to either of them, but out of context, it is a weird thing to tell people) so that oughta explain how he prioritizes his life.

As for UMass, part of the problem was... UMass can't recruit anyone cause how can you convince a player to go to western Massachusetts where it's unlikely anyone will see you unless you're playing the role of cupcake?  And there's a constant war between teachers and other staff versus the athletics department over whether or not football should be demoted back to FCS or abandoned entirely, which affects your ability to recruit or have resources.

I don't know if it'll translate to a much better outlook, but after whiffing on two awful OCs, hopefully this guy will work.  He just has to get rid of Hiller, that's all.  We need much better protection for our quarterbacks as far too often, our line just stands around looking like idiots wondering how the QB got sacked or injured.

Edited by IUFootballEndlessMisery

5 minutes ago, IUFootballEndlessMisery said:

The man, at one point, said not playing football was worse than his parents dying, (yeah, he wasn't close to either of them, but out of context, it is a weird thing to tell people) so that oughta explain how he prioritizes his life.

Very weird thing to say. I understand people have problematic relationships with parents for a variety of reasons. But to have a comment like that on the record is disturbing to me. That can't possibly be compatible with the "LEO" mantra.

Just hired a new offensive coordinator. He’s coming from one of the worst teams in the country being the HC at UMass. Haven’t done much research so not sure what to think.

the UMass issues run way. Way way. deeper than football as the below article goes into detail about.  so I don’t Much stock into his time as HC there. That’s not even getting into how much harder it is to recruit at UMass than IU.

https://commonwealthmagazine.org/education/umass-football-thrown-for-big-losses/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“As one of the few remaining FBS independents, UMass ranks among the most difficult jobs in major college football. Still, the program fell to new lows under Bell's watch, with the offense and defense both ranking in the bottom 10 nationally this season.“

Welp. 

His record at UMass aside, he does have a decent resume all across the south. I also pictured a 57 year old man with a mustache when I read this, but he’s 37. I have no idea what to make of this hire since I’m not familiar with the type of offense he runs. I have to imagine it will be better than Sheridan’s.

1 minute ago, Magnanimous said:

His record at UMass aside, he does have a decent resume all across the south. I also pictured a 57 year old man with a mustache when I read this, but he’s 37. I have no idea what to make of this hire since I’m not familiar with the type of offense he runs. I have to imagine it will be better than Sheridan’s.

Uhh... His best times as an OC were definitely at Arkansas State... And it isn't close. At power 5 conferences... Yup...

He is considered one of the top offensive minds in college football. This label has been with him for a while. Maybe you guys should do more than look at just record and numbers. Look at who the head coaches were he worked for at Maryland and FSU. Look at what the roster looked like he had to work with. Talent and players make an impact and I know FSU didn't have the players at the time. I'm not saying it's a sure thing but I'm also not writing it off. 

3 minutes ago, Hoosierfan22 said:

let’s hope he can recruit 

Of the guys that 247 gave him credit for landing based on their high school ranking I think Indiana would be happy with all of them. Obviously this isn't every recruit he's landed and been involved with but it tells me he can land some guys. 

https://247sports.com/coach/walt-bell-1361/