Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierX

Offensive Coordinator - Walt Bell

I find it hilarious how people on a message board has any clue whether a hire is good or not.  Most couldn't even tell you who most of the assistant coaches are let alone how good they are.  I know if is part of being on these boards but some of you guys need to get a grip and let things play out before jumping to conclusions.  I guess I need to realize there will be plenty of people bitching no matter the hire.

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I find it hilarious how people on a message board has any clue whether a hire is good or not.  Most couldn't even tell you who most of the assistant coaches are let alone how good they are.  I know if is part of being on these boards but some of you guys need to get a grip and let things play out before jumping to conclusions.  I guess I need to realize there will be plenty of people bitching no matter the hire.

Not really sure how you want people to react. We just hired a guy who was fired after going 2-23 at UMass and had mediocre stints at Maryland and Florida State before then. It’s not exactly the splashy hire people hoped for after a 2-10 season full of disgusting offense. 

15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

We can form an opinion on the information we have, which in this case is less than impressive.

21 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It doesn't take any sort of expert to see he's not exactly some mind blowing and great offensive mind. He's really just on Sheridan's level. He's proven how bad he is. 

6 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

It doesn't take any sort of expert to see he's not exactly some mind blowing and great offensive mind. He's really just on Sheridan's level. He's proven how bad he is. 

And it definitely doesn't take an expert to know you're definitely not one. So I say we just see what happens (in a year) and go from there. 

8 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Well he was a former head coach, I think CTA wanted someone who could be the head coach of the offense, he wanted someone with P5 experience as an OC and someone who would do it for a discount. He also speaks CTA language about making the players better men in life than just players blah blah blah. Just win for me, which it doesn't look like he has done a whole lot of. 

Any idea what we are paying him?

So I've kind of taken the day to let this hire sink in, while checking this board periodically as time allowed.  While I accept that this is not the type of hire many wanted, and yes, much of the information I've seen here is nothing that makes me jump for joy, I also have not had time to research him for myself.  But, I understand that IU is not a top flight destination for most coaches trying to work their way up the coaching ladder, and that had we have been able to land the type of hire many on here seem to have wanted, it would have been another DeBoer situation and they would be gone for greener pastures in a year or 2.

Bell has the requisite experience, even if the results leave something to be desired.  Does anyone here truly believe that CTA would purposely hire someone that will cost him his job in a couple of years?  I don't, but I also know that IU is not going to pay to bring in a top flight coordinator, so I trust that CTA made the hire that he thought was best given whatever constraints he had placed on him.

As others have said, there are many examples of successful coordinators moving up to HC positions and failing.  Cam Cameron being a prime example.  The decision has been made, and as an IU fan I will root like hell for him to succeed.  Yes, some players and recruits will decide to move on, so be it, if they, or the staff, don't believe the fit is right.  I just can't get on board with bashing the guy before the hire has even been officially announced.   Hopefully, as IU fans, we can all agree that whether or not we agree with the hire, we hope he succeeds, and makes IU better.

1 hour ago, OGIUAndy said:

And it definitely doesn't take an expert to know you're definitely not one. So I say we just see what happens (in a year) and go from there. 

The issue with hiring someone with underwhelming credentials is if we can see it so can recruits.

1 hour ago, Alford Bailey said:

Any idea what we are paying him?

Someone posted earlier that UMASS owed him $700 buyout but doesn’t have to pay it now since he’ll be making more than that at IU

3 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Not really sure how you want people to react. We just hired a guy who was fired after going 2-23 at UMass and had mediocre stints at Maryland and Florida State before then. It’s not exactly the splashy hire people hoped for after a 2-10 season full of disgusting offense. 

There has been plenty of good coordinators that wasn't good as a HC.  So to me his record as a HC had no effect on his ability to be an OC.

Whatever. Tom Allen is coaching for his job next 2 seasons. We don’t have money. So he’s mostly safe. That’s also why NIL is spinning it’s wheels. Would be nice if Cuban gave us 10 mill per season. Lol. I’m not getting my hopes up. Will watch and laugh like the good ole days.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't think anyone is saying this is a great hire but why not let it play out before you bash the coach.  It does no good for the program to have this reaction.

Always that one guy who only complains about other posters…..

10 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Always that one guy who only complains about other posters…..

Because posters like you guys make it hard to read this board.  It is no fun being around negative people all the time

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Because posters like you guys make it hard to read this board.  It is no fun being around negative people all the time

If you can’t handle fans having an honest conversation about a historically bad football program this may not be the place for you. BTB is EXTREMELY low key compared to most social media outlets btw.

9 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

If you can’t handle fans having an honest conversation about a historically bad football program this may not be the place for you. BTB is EXTREMELY low key compared to most social media outlets btw.

I have been a fan for 50 years and have seen a lot worse seasons than this one. The four years before this season is one of the better 4 years stretch in IU football history.  What purpose does ripping on recruits who decides to play at IU.  Also why not wait to make a decision on this hire.  When you go in with a negative attitude you will never change your viewpoint and find anything to back that viewpoint.