Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Southside

Poll: IU BB... How are you feeling, and early predictions + 2 Questions

Poll: How are you feeling, and early predictions  

88 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Will IU make the Dance?

2. 2. Are you sold on Coach Woodson?

3. 3. How will we finish in the B10 Regular Season?

4. 4. How will we do in the B10 Tournament?

• Champions
    • lose in finals (top 2)
    • lose in semi (top 4)
    • not make the semi
  5. 5. How do you feel right now about the direction of IU basketball

• Very happy
    • Happy
    • Indifferent / Unsure
    • Unhappy
    • Horrible

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/18/2021 at 09:53 AM

I'm happy that the IU administration took the big picture route and hired Coaches Woodsen, Matta, Fife, Rosemond, and Hunter.  This has shown a holistic athletic-management , planning and implementation for the future of the basketball program..and, for Indiana, surprising execution.  Well done!

I am most concerned about the overriding power of the almighty dollar.  It drives so very much in this economic world and college basketball in the USA.  Sure, there will always be basketball in college.  The rapidity of change has already shaken college ball and the NCAA and the athletes.  The consolidation and growth of the P5 conferences parallels the growth of the corporations in the world.  Who is in charge? The competition to the NCAA has reared it's head and is just now flexing it's muscles.   What will the effect of all this mean to Indiana University basketball etc.?

PS.  As for the near-term IU basketball future...shooting percentages, turnovers, slow starts, health, coaching...not the biggest concerns..but always it is recruiting.  I do like that IU upgraded the guards and the shooting.  Next season's roster will have some serious shoes to fill. Almost all we need is an I. Thomas, J. Hulls, C. Cheaney and G. McGinnis.*  But since we have apparently good recruiting going on...I'm not worried.  I do think that IU will see some transfers out and in.  I'm not concerned about it...just curious at this point.

* Heck, while we are wishing...how about maybe Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, and Michael Jordan...gee and why not Larry Bird?

Also, just in a post.....
2 Questions
  1. What one thing are most happiest about
  2. What one thing are you most concerned about
1. Improved 3 pt shooting
2. Not valuing each possession

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Southside said:

Also, just in a post.....

2 Questions

1. What one thing are most happiest about
  2. What one thing are you most concerned about

1. Coaching staff / Woodson and overall direction of the program - return to IU basketball

2. Lineup rigidity, under-use of depth which impacts having to play from behind, repeated slow starts

2 hours ago, Dave from Dayton said:

I'm happy that the IU administration took the big picture route and hired Coaches Woodsen, Matta, Fife, Rosemond, and Hunter.  This has shown a holistic athletic-management , planning and implementation for the future of the basketball program..and, for Indiana, surprising execution.  Well done!

I am most concerned about the overriding power of the almighty dollar.  It drives so very much in this economic world and college basketball in the USA.  Sure, there will always be basketball in college.  The rapidity of change has already shaken college ball and the NCAA and the athletes.  The consolidation and growth of the P5 conferences parallels the growth of the corporations in the world.  Who is in charge? The competition to the NCAA has reared it's head and is just now flexing it's muscles.   What will the effect of all this mean to Indiana University basketball etc.?

PS.  As for the near-term IU basketball future...shooting percentages, turnovers, slow starts, health, coaching...not the biggest concerns..but always it is recruiting.  I do like that IU upgraded the guards and the shooting.  Next season's roster will have some serious shoes to fill. Almost all we need is an I. Thomas, J. Hulls, C. Cheaney and G. McGinnis.  But since we have apparently good recruiting going on...I'm not worried.  I do think that IU will see some transfers out and in.  I'm not concerned about it...just curious at this point.

dwayne-johnson-the-rock.gif

I like that he's much more approachable than Archie was. Part of being a coach is kind of being an extension of being a parent almost. A lot of caring and wanting these guys to succeed and also be happy in life in general. I think Woody is an A+ at this point. 

1. That's what I'm really happiest about. These guys seem to be there for each other. No individual agendas. It's about fighting for each other and winning. Wanting each other to make plays. 

2. My biggest concern is definitely ball movement. Would be nice to see quicker passing, quicker movements on offense and more slashing. 

I'm happy to see players hit 3-point shots. I'm happy to see better free throw shooting. I'm happy to see TJD and Race Thompson playing at a higher level. I was happy to Miller Kopp finally play up to expectations against Syracuse (though obviously disappointed with his shooting against Nebraska). I'm happy to see a cohesive team. I'm happy with a likable coach who seems to be making a difference in the quality of play.

I'm unhappy with turnovers. I was unhappy to see us lose a game at Syracuse we should have won. Unhappy with slow starts.

1. Shooting overall. Shooting 37% from 3 and 69% from the line (number is creeping up each game, pray it continues). Without the eastern Michigan game IU is 41% from three and 71% from the line. 

2. PG play. IMO it is still holding this program back. 

What one thing are most happiest about

Short answer: TJD dominating when he wants to

Long answer: The glimpses of what we could have if we start clicking. We have seen this defense lock down opponents. We have seen the offense get and knockdown open looks. In the second half against Syracuse, we started moving personnel and the ball with purpose. That led to wide open threes and dunks.

What one thing are you most concerned about

Short answer: Fundamentals and focus

Long answer: There is a trend that we start games completely out of sync. I believe we have turned it over on the first possession of the last three games (could go back further and on more than just the first possession). We have stumbled and bumbled our way through until Woody takes a timeout to get us going. Is the game plan bad? Are the players not focused? Are we just going through the motions?

There is another trend that we do not collectively play hard. You will notice that one player sticks out from the rest because they are actually playing hard while the others just go through the motion. Oftentimes, that player is Race, sometimes it is X or against Nebraska it took Leal off the bench. Why is this happening? Why are we sluggish to start games? Confidence in each other? Confidence in the game plan?

Outside of Trayce, the roles of players are not defined or they go outside of their role too often. We are lazy to move without the ball and settle to stand around. There is a noticeable difference in offensive production from when we stand and when we move.

X should be looking to attack the rim and create for Trayce/Race around the rim or kicking it to shooters. He shouldn't be taking step back jumpers or threes unless he is wide open.

Kopp should be moving without the ball setting up catch and shoot opportunities, not trying to attack the rim.

Stewart should be doing similar things.

Race should be cutting hard to the lane and then getting out of the lane. Too often he makes his cut and then lingers around while his defender slides to double Trayce. That's bad basketball.

Phin should be looking to attack and create, not seeing how many threes he can get up or how many times he can turn it over. He should be looking for the open man and keeping the ball moving.

Bates should be moving without the ball, slashing, driving, or shooting the open jumper. The step back three with a hand in his face is not a high percentage shot.

Geronimo needs to play, not think. He needs to take the open shot or pass. He should be scoring on dunks and threes. 

9 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

What one thing are most happiest about

Short answer: TJD dominating when he wants to

Long answer: The glimpses of what we could have if we start clicking. We have seen this defense lock down opponents. We have seen the offense get and knockdown open looks. In the second half against Syracuse, we started moving personnel and the ball with purpose. That led to wide open threes and dunks.

What one thing are you most concerned about

Short answer: Fundamentals and focus

Long answer: There is a trend that we start games completely out of sync. I believe we have turned it over on the first possession of the last three games (could go back further and on more than just the first possession). We have stumbled and bumbled our way through until Woody takes a timeout to get us going. Is the game plan bad? Are the players not focused? Are we just going through the motions?

There is another trend that we do not collectively play hard. You will notice that one player sticks out from the rest because they are actually playing hard while the others just go through the motion. Oftentimes, that player is Race, sometimes it is X or against Nebraska it took Leal off the bench. Why is this happening? Why are we sluggish to start games? Confidence in each other? Confidence in the game plan?

Outside of Trayce, the roles of players are not defined or they go outside of their role too often. We are lazy to move without the ball and settle to stand around. There is a noticeable difference in offensive production from when we stand and when we move.

X should be looking to attack the rim and create for Trayce/Race around the rim or kicking it to shooters. He shouldn't be taking step back jumpers or threes unless he is wide open.

Kopp should be moving without the ball setting up catch and shoot opportunities, not trying to attack the rim.

Stewart should be doing similar things.

Race should be cutting hard to the lane and then getting out of the lane. Too often he makes his cut and then lingers around while his defender slides to double Trayce. That's bad basketball.

Phin should be looking to attack and create, not seeing how many threes he can get up or how many times he can turn it over. He should be looking for the open man and keeping the ball moving.

Bates should be moving without the ball, slashing, driving, or shooting the open jumper. The step back three with a hand in his face is not a high percentage shot.

Geronimo needs to play, not think. He needs to take the open shot or pass. He should be scoring on dunks and threes. 

While I don't disagree with a lot of this, I think some of it's purely 3 new starters, and a lot of "new" stuff to everyone. 

I think the first 5 or so B10 games will be learning games. After that, I expect the line up and rotation to be mostly set (except for matchup changes), and for some guys to emerge. Not saying things will be perfect after game 5, but I think we'll see some things start to become clearer. It'll take mid season IMO till guys start to play comfortably within the new system with each other. 

I believe the staff is competent AND motivated. That seems to be a question from the last 2 coaching staffs. Crean was bi-polar and Archie seems to have lost his will to live, let alone coach. Woodson and company want to be at IU and know basketball. I was critical of his hire and have been disappointed in aspects of this teams play to date. But Woodson (or Stevens or anyone else) isn't magic. It does take some time to change the culture. IU's culture has been mediocrity. The first steps to improve that appear to have been taken. Woodson's success won't be made in the non-con of his first season, but the general direction is positive, imo. IU needs more talent to win at the highest level, but they should COMPETE at the highest level everytime they step on the floor. I can forgive being too slow, too short or unathletic, I can't accept lack of desire. I never want IU to be an easy out. That is what I expect from Woodson and the IU staff to recruit those types of players and instill in their teams. I'm reasonably hopeful that will happen. 

While I don't disagree with a lot of this, I think some of it's purely 3 new starters, and a lot of "new" stuff to everyone. 
I think the first 5 or so B10 games will be learning games. After that, I expect the line up and rotation to be mostly set (except for matchup changes), and for some guys to emerge. Not saying things will be perfect after game 5, but I think we'll see some things start to become clearer. It'll take mid season IMO till guys start to play comfortably within the new system with each other. 

We should expect these crazy turnovers and horrible decision for another month?!

The lack of focus is what really gets me. It’s not like teams are speeding us up or forcing us to make bad decisions, we’re just making horrible decisions without pressure.

We started eating Cuse’s zone up in the second half. We passed with a purpose to get open looks or dunks and then.. we just quit doing it.

How many games have we started by just throwing the ball all over AH or running before dribbling? These aren’t a mistakes here or there because the cutter went one way and the passer throw it the other. These are consistent mistakes of the fundamentals of basketball.

I can’t imagine they’ll get better when the competition gets better. Players need to know their strengths (guardrails if you will) and play within themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

10 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

We should expect these crazy turnovers and horrible decision for another month?!

The lack of focus is what really gets me. It’s not like teams are speeding us up or forcing us to make bad decisions, we’re just making horrible decisions without pressure.

We started eating Cuse’s zone up in the second half. We passed with a purpose to get open looks or dunks and then.. we just quit doing it.

How many games have we started by just throwing the ball all over AH or running before dribbling? These aren’t a mistakes here or there because the cutter went one way and the passer throw it the other. These are consistent mistakes of the fundamentals of basketball.

I can’t imagine they’ll get better when the competition gets better. Players need to know their strengths (guardrails if you will) and play within themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I think the team is still feeling themselves out. So much "new". 

I won't start getting overly critical about stuff till mid season when the rotation if baked, and guys are comfortable in the new system.

A lot of open questions like you said, but there's some clear areas of improvement (3pt, FT). 

I'm more than happy at this point. But of course I want more.