Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Aaron

Nebraska at Indiana Game Thread - Noon on BTN

16 hours ago, IUFAN1976 said:

How do you explain Purdue’s depth, which is a reason they beat a good Villanova team and will be ranked # 1 next week.  I know a lot of good BK coached teams went more than 8 players deep.  Once this thing clicks, they’ll wear down teams and win games because of it!  I think we have the players to be deep and it will become an asset!!!

You need to go back to the championship teams under RMK and see he used a very short bench.  During the pandemic I watched a lot of old games and a lot of times he only subbed when a guy got his 3rd foul in the first half.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

You need to go back to the championship teams under RMK and see he used a very short bench.  During the pandemic I watched a lot of old games and a lot of times he only subbed when a guy got his 3rd foul in the first half.

I went back and looked at the 3 NCAA championship teams, and RMK had at least 9-11 players play in at least 75% of the games, that would be around 25 games or more, so yes he did utilize his bench.  Some of those may have only played 5-8 minutes but they did appear in many games!  Players don’t always have to play 10, 12, 14 minutes a game to serve a purpose and I am are CMW will utilize his bench in a similar manner.  

20 hours ago, Hovadipo said:

A group that was beating the hell out of a very dead horse, that I didn’t necessarily see you a part of. And for the record, I don’t even completely disagree with the pro-Lander/anti-Phinisee crowd, but the kid can’t even fart off pitch without people jumping down his throat. He’s one of our guys lol. 

Lander cannot play defense at this level yet.   It's really no harder than that.  Phinisee lost so much confidence when he got hurt his soph year and for whatever reason, never recovered.    Lander isn't any better offensively yet and he's not close to as good defensively.  That's why Phinisee is playing right now.   

I don't understand the abject vitriol toward him, and much of the criticism seems harsh if not unwarranted.  The guy has had a tough time shooting it.  No question.  But he still has a career 2:1 A/TO ratio, and he's a stellar defensive player most of the time.  Compare these 2 players, and with the exception of shooting %, someone tell me why one is beloved and the other vilified.  Other than "one was on better teams," I don't get it.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4397010/rob-phinisee

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/chris-reynolds-2.html

1 hour ago, Old Friend said:

Lander cannot play defense at this level yet.   It's really no harder than that.  Phinisee lost so much confidence when he got hurt his soph year and for whatever reason, never recovered.    Lander isn't any better offensively yet and he's not close to as good defensively.  That's why Phinisee is playing right now.   

I don't understand the abject vitriol toward him, and much of the criticism seems harsh if not unwarranted.  The guy has had a tough time shooting it.  No question.  But he still has a career 2:1 A/TO ratio, and he's a stellar defensive player most of the time.  Compare these 2 players, and with the exception of shooting %, someone tell me why one is beloved and the other vilified.  Other than "one was on better teams," I don't get it.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4397010/rob-phinisee

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/chris-reynolds-2.html

It could because he’s a 5 star player and they maybe so fixated on the fact that 5 star players should play.  Or the fact that if a 5 star player doesn’t play he will transfer.  I do know Lander is a 5 star and Phinesee was a 4 star who has lost his confidence for whatever reason!

I think CMW knows what he is doing and sees the players everyday in practice and Phinesee maybe playing well in practice but it hasn’t quite transferred to the game yet.  I think Phinesee will start to come around but Lander will play some, mainly because X can’t stay on floor!

4 hours ago, IUFAN1976 said:

I went back and looked at the 3 NCAA championship teams, and RMK had at least 9-11 players play in at least 75% of the games, that would be around 25 games or more, so yes he did utilize his bench.  Some of those may have only played 5-8 minutes but they did appear in many games!  Players don’t always have to play 10, 12, 14 minutes a game to serve a purpose and I am are CMW will utilize his bench in a similar manner.  

Mainly watched the tournament games.  The first half of the 81 Maryland game 4 starters played 20 minutes the other played 17

19 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Mainly watched the tournament games.  The first half of the 81 Maryland game 4 starters played 20 minutes the other played 17

From time to time Bobby played 7-8 guys, specifically during the tournament he did tighten his rotation but the season is long and in order to keep guys fresh at the end of the year, he played a lot of guys.  For an entire long season, it really does take a village.  In this case, we both were correct!

18 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

The bigger story is X. If he can learn to play aggressive without foul trouble, we won’t have to worry much about Phin and Lander. X should be playing 30 minutes or more and than this is all a moot point

One bright side to him not being able to stay on the floor, he’ll be real rested by the time the heart of the B10 season starts!

By the way, right now I am not a fan of his game.  He’s reckless, doesn’t channel his emotions, and let’s that dictate the way he plays.  I can see why he had issues at Pitt!  Eventually, if X doesn’t start getting things in check, CMW will have to start Phinesee or Lander and bring X off the bench.  He’s one of the reasons our 1st halves get off to a slow start.

Edited by IUFAN1976

2 hours ago, IUFAN1976 said:

One bright side to him not being able to stay on the floor, he’ll be real rested by the time the heart of the B10 season starts!

By the way, right now I am not a fan of his game.  He’s reckless, doesn’t channel his emotions, and let’s that dictate the way he plays.  I can see why he had issues at Pitt!  Eventually, if X doesn’t start getting things in check, CMW will have to start Phinesee or Lander and bring X off the bench.  He’s one of the reasons our 1st halves get off to a slow start.

He’s possibly our second best player… I don’t think there is any chance Phin or Lander start over him nor should they

17 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

He’s possibly our second best player… I don’t think there is any chance Phin or Lander start over him nor should they

I think so, because CMW will get fed up with his issues that could be a detriment to the team. He’ll do it just to prove a point or as a motivational tactic