Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Aaron

Nebraska at Indiana Game Thread - Noon on BTN

Putrid start but only 4 turnovers in the 2nd half.

36% from the 3

80% from the free throw line

Perimeter shooting is looking better, and am thinking Stewart will be dependable from the 3, but it was kind of odd that Kopp went from 28 points at Cuse to 0 at home against Nebraska.  

Bates is going to regularly be playing mid-20’s+ minutes.

In my day most freshman was brought along slowly but now of they don't get playing time right away people complain about.  Let the kid develop and let him earn the playing time instead of just giving minutes to him.

KL won’t develop on the bench. RP and KL both have pros and cons, I’ve seen enough of both that IMHO neither should be a DNP.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 minute ago, 323SGrant said:

KL won’t develop on the bench. RP and KL both have pros and cons, I’ve seen enough of both that IMHO neither should be a DNP.

I would rather see our rotation cut to 8 at the most 9 so there will be players not getting minutes.  I never liked when a team tries to play a lot of Ayers so they make them happy.  If you sub to much then it is harder to get in a rhythm and it causes a lot of lapses in games.  I know when I played and was acting well the last thing I wanted is to be taken out of the game.

24 minutes ago, Josh said:

I'm glad you found what works for your mental capacity.  Keep working on that.

The only two things that consistently annoy me about this team is missed free throws and Rob Phinisee picking up his dribble without a plan of where the ball will go next.  Rob Phinisee driving one on three and throwing up garbage.  Rob Phinisee pounding the air out of the ball watching the shot clock wind down.  His offensive iq is the worst I can remember.

Recognizing that isn't bad for my health.  It's not insisting I'm "right".  It seems to annoy some people, but I think I could successfully argue that those people are the ones who need to fix themselves rather than my observations.  This team is worse when the ball is in Rob's hands.  That's a fact.

Josh, I think you’re taking personally a post I made that wasn’t even intended for you. I’m not saying that to say “stop whining”, I truly mean that the post wasn’t intended for you. Hope that helps. 

1 minute ago, Hovadipo said:

Josh, I think you’re taking personally a post I made that wasn’t even intended for you. I’m not saying that to say “stop whining”, I truly mean that the post wasn’t intended for you. Hope that helps. 

I thought it was intended for a group of us, me included.  My misunderstanding then.

1 minute ago, Josh said:

I thought it was intended for a group of us, me included.  My misunderstanding then.

A group that was beating the hell out of a very dead horse, that I didn’t necessarily see you a part of. And for the record, I don’t even completely disagree with the pro-Lander/anti-Phinisee crowd, but the kid can’t even fart off pitch without people jumping down his throat. He’s one of our guys lol. 

Just now, Hovadipo said:

A group that was beating the hell out of a very dead horse, that I didn’t necessarily see you a part of. And for the record, I don’t even completely disagree with the pro-Lander/anti-Phinisee crowd, but the kid can’t even fart off pitch without people jumping down his throat. He’s one of our guys lol. 

I get it.  But people were posting a lot negative things about Xavier also with no backlash.  For some reason Phinisee gets big emotions both ways.  Very polarizing dude.  Maybe because he's a native Hoosier

I couldn't care less which player gets the back up minutes at PG I just want the one that gives us the best chance to win.  Like it or not right now coach Woodson thinks that is RP.  We are 7-1 with the only loss a double OT on the road.

If Woodson came out tomorrow saying that the backup will be Lander then I am fine with that.  The coaches know their team a lot better than we do so whatever they decide then I am fine with it.

Coaches are going to do what is best for the team and what is best for winning.  With the job security in college basketball they won't be doing anything that would cause them to lose.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I couldn't care less which player gets the back up minutes at PG I just want the one that gives us the best chance to win.  Like it or not right now coach Woodson thinks that is RP.  We are 7-1 with the only loss a double OT on the road.

If Woodson came out tomorrow saying that the backup will be Lander then I am fine with that.  The coaches know their team a lot better than we do so whatever they decide then I am fine with it.

Coaches are going to do what is best for the team and what is best for winning.  With the job security in college basketball they won't be doing anything that would cause them to lose.

^^^ This. And it's not like it's just one guy who's "coaching". Heck we have a massive brain trust in our admin. I think they know what they are doing, have a plan and the team also knows what it is.

We have basically what could be considered 3 head coaches at least if not more.

4 hours ago, IUc2016 said:

Didn’t say that it did. Just that it was his first road game with fans. 

you asked a question and I answered it. 

My response wasn't meant to be to you.  It was in response to what I felt was an excuse that he didn't play because it was a road game with fans, when last year he played on the road even when fans weren't there.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I would rather see our rotation cut to 8 at the most 9 so there will be players not getting minutes.  I never liked when a team tries to play a lot of Ayers so they make them happy.  If you sub to much then it is harder to get in a rhythm and it causes a lot of lapses in games.  I know when I played and was acting well the last thing I wanted is to be taken out of the game.

How do you explain Purdue’s depth, which is a reason they beat a good Villanova team and will be ranked # 1 next week.  I know a lot of good BK coached teams went more than 8 players deep.  Once this thing clicks, they’ll wear down teams and win games because of it!  I think we have the players to be deep and it will become an asset!!!

2 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I don’t know what happens at practice. I just know what happens during the games. Forget that Khristian Lander even exists for a moment. Phinisee just flat out hasn’t been getting the job done. He’s been bad. If he’s playing 24 mpg this year then we’re in trouble, just like we were last year. Xavier Johnson has to be able to keep himself on the floor because the drop off from him to the next guy is massive. 

Phin (or Lander for that matter) is only going to play 24 minutes if X is injured or in foul trouble.

I suggested in another thread that the best option when X is in foul trouble might not be Phin or KL, but moving Stewart to the point and bringing in Bates.  While Stewart isn't a traditional point guard and he hasn't been playing it in our offense, he most definitely HAS played the point.

2 hours ago, 323SGrant said:

I think one of fans’ biggest misnomers is that playing time somehow equals development. Players develop in the off season and in practice. Playing guys at the end of the beach minutes they don’t deserve won’t develop them any faster. 

19 minutes ago, str8baller said:

I think one of fans’ biggest misnomers is that playing time somehow equals development. Players develop in the off season and in practice. Playing guys at the end of the beach minutes they don’t deserve won’t develop them any faster. 

And it can hinder a team’s development.

If you think that Lander is the better option because he helps the team more, while I don’t agree, I can accept the reasoning.  But playing a guy because you fear that he will transfer if you don’t is a losing proposition.  

Think back to Justin Smith.  Justin imagined himself as a wing when the reality is in today’s game he’s a 4.  Word was that to appease him Miller played him at the 3 because he feared he would leave.  The result was a Brunk-Davis m-Smith front court that was horrible and ended with Smith transferring anyway.

It takes all three. Players get better from practice, individual and with the team, and in games.

18 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Believe me that Lander is not even close to being that caliber of players. When he committed to us I watched his films and really was not overly impressed with him.  I thought he was truly overrated and wasn't near a 5 star player.  Also it was a huge mistake for him to give up his senior year of high school.

Last season didn't count against his eligibility so I really fail to see how it was a huge mistake to forgo his senior year. 3 years of playing against HS competition obviously didn't prepare him well for college ball and the B1G so I very much doubt that another year would've helped. If he had stayed in HS the Lander we saw last year would likely be the Lander we'd be seeing this year. 1 season of practicing against college players, the bit of game experience he got last year, a whole season of college coaching (even if was Miller), and 1 year of college nutrition and strength training and conditioning have him better off than he would be coming straight from HS this season. He's improved quite a bit. He's still not good enough to get a lot of PT at this point, but he has improved because he was much worse last season. Last season was basically a redshirt season except with actual game experience.

Even if last season had counted against his eligibility I would think that passing up his senior HS season was a good idea. Since it didn't count then there is no way it was a mistake. He improved more over the last season than he would've by staying in HS.