Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Aaron

Nebraska at Indiana Game Thread - Noon on BTN

I'm all for Lander getting in when he earns it...from Coach Woody's perspective.  Sure he has potential.  But, in the Syracuse game he had the opportunity to really do some things at critical points in the game.  Two turnovers...and dribbling more than 10 critical seconds when those could have been used to win the game.  And fouling Girard with .8 seconds allowing him to hit two FTs to win the game for Syracuse.  Maybe one or some of these cause Woody pause...

Phin makes bad decisions but not at crunch time against Syracuse and possibly giving IU an L.

We also don't know when Phin will actually score like he did today down the stretch.  

The backup PG position is open for Lander when he proves himself on court and off.  We don't see practices.  We don't see how he comports himself in other situations.  Lander seems to be the one to control his destiny. 

If Lander goes...then he goes.  Next man up to fill the kid's shoes.

8 minutes ago, Dave from Dayton said:

I'm all for Lander getting in when he earns it...from Coach Woody's perspective.  Sure he has potential.  But, in the Syracuse game he had the opportunity to really do some things at critical points in the game.  Two turnovers...and dribbling more than 10 critical seconds when those could have been used to win the game.  

Phin makes bad decisions but not at crunch time against Syracuse and possibly giving IU an L.

We also don't know when Phin will actually score like he did today down the stretch.  

The backup PG position is open for Lander when he proves himself on court and off.  We don't see practices.  We don't see how he comports himself in other situations.  Lander seems to be the one to control his destiny. 

If Lander goes...then he goes.  Next man up to fill the kid's shoes.

One of the turnovers Lander was credited with came from an errant pass from Race. Yeah, Lander makes mistakes. Syracuse was the first real road game of his career and he had to come in cold 39+ minutes into the game because Phinisee fouled out in 14 minutes. Lander also helped get us to overtime in the first place. If he misses the first free throw we never even get to overtime. He also hit a 3 to turn a 4 point game into a 1 point game with 25 seconds left in double overtime.

This is what I’m talking about. Phinisee makes a lot of mistakes too. He makes mistakes that a senior who has played as much as he has shouldn’t make. He’s shooting 28% from the field this season. But he gets a pass from people that Lander doesn’t. 

‘Next man up’ is the kind of mentality you can have when you’re a Kentucky or a Duke. IU doesn’t recruit well enough to think that way. 

13 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

One of the turnovers Lander was credited with came from an errant pass from Race. Yeah, Lander makes mistakes. Syracuse was the first real road game of his career and he had to come in cold 39+ minutes into the game because Phinisee fouled out in 14 minutes. Lander also helped get us to overtime in the first place. If he misses the first free throw we never even get to overtime. He also hit a 3 to turn a 4 point game into a 1 point game with 25 seconds left in double overtime.

This is what I’m talking about. Phinisee makes a lot of mistakes too. He makes mistakes that a senior who has played as much as he has shouldn’t make. He’s shooting 28% from the field this season. But he gets a pass from people that Lander doesn’t. 

‘Next man up’ is the kind of mentality you can have when you’re a Kentucky or a Duke. IU doesn’t recruit well enough to think that way. 

Not sure why having the next man up mentality can only work for Duke or Kentucky.   Maybe IU doesn’t recruit  well enough to think that way but having a 5 star 6’5 pg coming in next year that has been running the best high school team in the nation seems like a good place to start 

1 minute ago, Uspshoosier said:

Not sure why having the next man up mentality can only work for Duke or Kentucky.   Maybe IU doesn’t recruit  well enough to think that way but having a 5 star 6’5 pg coming in next year that has been running the best high school team in the nation seems like a good place to start 

And if the 5 star point guard coming in outplays Lander, he will be playing.  

9 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Syracuse was the first real road game of his career?

Second one I suppose. I forgot that fans were allowed at the Florida State game last year, though I forget how many were allowed in. Playing on the road in front of a few dozen family members just isn’t the same thing. 

I think that he’s going to be a great player as an upperclassman, but more importantly, we need our highly ranked recruits to work out. If we recruit a 5 star point guard and he’s a dud it sets us back. Duke has 3 kids in the top 7 coming in next year. If one of them doesn’t work out it doesn’t really matter, they’ll just replace them. We can’t reload like that. JHS should be great, but he’s the only guy in the top 75 we have coming in. We need Lander to play like a 5 star next season with Bates and JHS, but I don’t think he’ll be here if he racks up the DNPs. 

Just now, IUc2016 said:

First with fans. 

I hate to harp on it Lander, but check his stats in road games without fans.  4 of 21 from the field with more turnovers than assists.  It’s not like he had success in road games without fans either.  

Look agree or disagree with Rob or Lander clearly Woodson believes Rob gives his team the best chance to win with Rob as the backup over Lander.   College coaches are going to play the kids that they think will give them the best chance to win games.  Pretty clear to see that the staff feel Rob is the better option.  If they thought Lander was the better option he would of stayed the backup over Rob after he came back from injury. 

I think it is pretty clear that Lander is held to a higher standard than phinisee from some. I am sure that has to do with expectations of a 5* pg.

but phinisee continues to make decisions that have me scratching my head and we are nearly 100 games into his career. Plus, his talent level is what it is. I lander needs to play 

5 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

I hate to harp on it Lander, but check his stats in road games without fans.  4 of 21 from the field with more turnovers than assists.  It’s not like he had success in road games without fans either.  

Didn’t say that it did. Just that it was his first road game with fans. 

you asked a question and I answered it. 

3 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

And if the 5 star point guard coming in outplays Lander, he will be playing.  

Yep,

it sounds like JHS is killing it at Montverde (who knows how he will play as a freshman) and what if  X comes back for another year?

Woodson is never going to play Lander in front of Phinisee as long as Lander keeps forgetting how to run the plays called from the sideline.  There’s no trust from a head coach when you see this.  Lander will have to earn trust in practice or in a game where he plays as 3rd PG due to fouls or injury.  

I’ll try to make this my last post here. I just don’t see the upside of giving Phinisee every backup pg minute and not playing Lander at all. It isn’t a decision that makes sense to me. They’re pretty comparable as players right now. Phinisee is who he is as a player. He’s been the same guy since his freshman year. Lander has serious offensive potential. Playing Lander some now in Phinisee’s place doesn't really hurt us in the present, and it will benefit us in the future. But, it is what it is. Nothing we can do as fans but watch. 

4 hours ago, Josh said:

Ain't nobody celebrating.  Honestly his play is my only real frustration of this game and I'm better at voicing frustrations than vocalizing pleasures.  It's the Bobby Knight in me

I use to be like that but I have finally realized. that bitching about everything doesn't help.  I use to yell and scream during games like this but fortunately I out grew that.  Rather be positive because it is a lot better for your health.

4 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I was pleased that when we didn’t start the game well Woodson put in subs. At one time we had Rob, Scoop, Leal, Geronimo and Durr. Pretty sure that would have never happened under Archie. Also Bates seems to try to hard sometimes to score but he’s going to be special.

Yes, and the great thing is that he kept them in for meaningful minutes including keeping them in after a timeout. 

2 hours ago, 323SGrant said:

I hope KL gets more playing time. I don’t like him receiving a DNP today. I hope he sticks with the team long term.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

In my day most freshman was brought along slowly but now of they don't get playing time right away people complain about.  Let the kid develop and let him earn the playing time instead of just giving minutes to him.