Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Aaron

Nebraska at Indiana Game Thread - Noon on BTN

10 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

The reality is that last year was a waste year and he shouldn’t have reclassified.  This is really his freshman year and if he looks at it, he’s the future.  Phin going to graduate.  Don’t know about Johnson, only one year here?   And I’ll bet he sees his time going forward as phin is usually dinged up during the year.  

I wouldn’t be surprised if Johnson played two years here.

One thing that I saw a few times was our three point shooters planted at their spots behind the line as another player put a shot up.  They didn't crash the boards for a potential rebound, nor did they start to pedal back for defense.  They just stood in their spot and watched the ball.  I would have liked to see more movement, but we outrebounded them and won by 13 so what do I know

Had to miss the game - dang it

Can someone fill me in on a few things — from box

X only played 16 min, issues?

How did Leal do in his 12?

See that Bates was 2d in scoring and played 24, highlights?

No Lander at all? What is up with that?

So we dominated 2d half, adjustments?

The reality is that last year was a waste year and he shouldn’t have reclassified.  This is really his freshman year and if he looks at it, he’s the future.  Phin going to graduate.  Don’t know about Johnson, only one year here?   And I’ll bet he sees his time going forward as phin is usually dinged up during the year.  

I hope KL gets more playing time. I don’t like him receiving a DNP today. I hope he sticks with the team long term.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

7 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Had to miss the game - dang it

Can someone fill me in on a few things — from box

X only played 16 min, issues?

-Foul trouble.

How did Leal do in his 12?

-Extremely productive, pulled us back from down double digits when Woody benched everyone.

See that Bates was 2d in scoring and played 24, highlights?

-Hit some timely bombs in the stretch with Leal.

No Lander at all? What is up with that?

-*shrugs*

So we dominated 2d half, adjustments?

-Looked like a lot of switching on D and started playing hard. Very lazy first half before the benchings. Nebraska also stinks and was shooting like 7% from 3 late in the 2nd half.

11 minutes ago, 323SGrant said:

I hope KL gets more playing time. I don’t like him receiving a DNP today. I hope he sticks with the team long term.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

He probably won’t, and IU will be worse off in the long run because of it. 5 star recruits usually don’t stick around long when they don’t play.  We’re not in a position where we can afford to lose talented players. There’s no reason for him to get literally zero minutes. If Phinisee hadn’t fouled out against Syracuse this would’ve been his second straight DNP. He’s played well enough to deserve minutes and he’s never going to improve on his weaknesses (defense) if you just never play him. 

I get wanting some KL PT, but I am going to trust what Woodson, Fife, etal see in practice that warrants the DNP. They are acutely aware of the risks of him transferring. A 5 star recruit not playing  is getting the DNP for a reason, we just are not privy to it. Worse would be playing a guy the other players know is undeserving just due to recruiting status.

6 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

I get wanting some KL PT, but I am going to trust what Woodson, Fife, etal see in practice that warrants the DNP. They are acutely aware of the risks of him transferring. A 5 star recruit not playing  is getting the DNP for a reason, we just are not privy to it. Worse would be playing a guy the other players know is undeserving just due to recruiting status.

Coaches aren’t immune from making bad lineup decisions. Phinisee today shot 2-7 from the field, committed multiple turnovers, and got beat by the guy he was guarding several times. If Lander had that game, it’d be exhibit A for why he isn’t playing. Phinisee has it and it gets excused. I’m not there at practice, but I’ve watched every game. Rob hasn’t done anything to show that he should get all the minutes and Lander should get 0 of them. But that’s how it’s been. That’s how it was against EMU, that’s how it was against Syracuse for the first 39:55 of the game, and that’s how it was today. If the staff thinks Lander is an important piece in the future then you have to find him minutes. He’s going to transfer if he racks up the DNPs. Woody doesn’t get rookies on multi-year contracts like you do in the NBA. 

What the Kopp?

He needs to play his game. He’s trying to do stuff he doesn’t do well. I’m frustrated by and for him. Terrible game today.

Race was good/great.

We are who I thought we were. Each game kinda reaffirms it to me.

Guards? We have a lot of them. And Galloway isn’t playing. I want KL to play too but you always have to trust the staff in these situations. As I said yesterday, KL higher ceiling, RP higher floor. I like Leal a lot. But does he guard well enough? Lots of guards. And we keep recruiting them.

Geronimo? Another one I feel sorry for. We need him to be good. He’s just not quite there yet. Shaky FT shooter. Turnover prone. Shoots 3 with confidence and rebounds. We could really use him.

Durr? Welp. He’s a backup guy. He’s not Travion Williams that’s for sure.

Parker Stewart makes me happy. Plays within himself.

Trayce wasn’t his best but still good. Wasn’t the offensive focus.

Glad we got the W. Keep working on ball movement and our offense. It’s severely lacking.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

20 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Phin communicates on the court and was fired up during timeouts.

Lander is a sleepy personality to me.

Do those attributes make Phinisee 24 mpg better than Lander? Because that’s how many he played today. Frankly, if Rob was then this wouldn’t even be a question. Xavier is clearly better than both and there’s no question that he should be the #1 point guard. Lander and Phinisee both have their weaknesses. Lander is weak on defense, Phinisee is weak on offense. Lander has improved on his weakness from last year, which suggests he may get even better on that end. Phinisee hasn’t improved his offense. It’s worse than it was in previous years, and as a senior with 90+ games under his belt there’s little reason to expect it to improve. Even if some people think Phinisee > Lander, I can’t see anyone really thinking Lander not playing at all will be good for the program. But that’s how it looks like it’s going to be barring injuries or guys fouling out. 

20 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Coaches aren’t immune from making bad lineup decisions. Phinisee today shot 2-7 from the field, committed multiple turnovers, and got beat by the guy he was guarding several times. If Lander had that game, it’d be exhibit A for why he isn’t playing. Phinisee has it and it gets excused. I’m not there at practice, but I’ve watched every game. Rob hasn’t done anything to show that he should get all the minutes and Lander should get 0 of them. But that’s how it’s been. That’s how it was against EMU, that’s how it was against Syracuse for the first 39:55 of the game, and that’s how it was today. If the staff thinks Lander is an important piece in the future then you have to find him minutes. He’s going to transfer if he racks up the DNPs. Woody doesn’t get rookies on multi-year contracts like you do in the NBA. 

What do you mean? Lander has had that game repeatedly.His career verage is barely above that, has just North of a 1:1 A:T ratio, and is not the defender Rob is.

I would much prefer Lander, or anyone, to make Rob a DNP, but fact is he hasn't shown anything to show he is a better alternative. If he is a 3 star recruit, no one is even mentioning his name.  A lot of hand wringing over a PG that is below average in every aspect of the game based on his recruiting ranking.

13 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Even if some people think Phinisee > Lander, I can’t see anyone really thinking Lander not playing at all will be good for the program. But that’s how it looks like it’s going to be barring injuries or guys fouling out. 

So when do you suggest you put in a player that is a liability in a close game, just to stroke his ego? I would rather beat Nebraska then have them lose just to calm Lander's feels.

1 minute ago, iu eyedoc said:

So when do you suggest you put in a player that is a liability in a close game, just to stroke his ego? I would rather beat Nebraska then have them lose just to calm Lander's feels.

That’s literally exactly what happened in the St. John’s game and he wasn’t a liability at all. The same game where Phinisee was god awful. Hell, he came into the Syracuse game when we were down 3 points, and we lost by 2. He was fine in that game too. You’re pretending that there’s this huge drop off between Phinisee and Lander. There isn’t. There’s arguably not even a drop off.