Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ Syracuse - 11/30/21 @ 7:00 on ESPN2

We should beat #23 Wisconsin at their place? Come on now, let's at least be realistic. 

Let’s be realistic? Wisconsin wasn’t predicted to be good this year. Their roster is meh or worse. They’ve played up. At some point we need to project to win road games against average B1G teams. Problem is my mindset is we need to act like a blueblood. We aren’t anymore on the court so we act like a mid level B1G team.

Also, I like to project. We have TJD this year. He’s a legitimate All American. We should be good and confident. Next, year without him we take steps back. I can just see this whole thing unfolding ahead of time. Gotta strike while the iron is hot.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Just now, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Let’s be realistic? Wisconsin wasn’t predicted to be good this year. Their roster is meh or worse. They’ve played up. At some point we need to project to win road games against average B1G teams. Problem is my mindset is we need to act like a blueblood. We aren’t anymore on the court so we act like a mid level B1G team.

Also, I like to project. We have TJD this year. He’s a legitimate All American. We should be good and confident. Next, year without him we take steps back. I can just see this whole thing unfolding ahead of time. Gotta strike while the iron is hot.

I just don't consider a team ranked in the top 25 to be average when they are ranked higher than we are. Then think that a team that is still learning to play together and with new pieces is going to go on the road to beat them. Hope I'm wrong and your right. 

I just don't consider a team ranked in the top 25 to be average when they are ranked higher than we are. Then think that a team that is still learning to play together and with new pieces is going to go on the road to beat them. Hope I'm wrong and your right. 

No, you’re right that we will likely lose. But Wisconsin isn’t the 23rd best team in the land on talent. Not even close. Their roster is crummy. They are playing way above their talent and hitting free throws at an unreal rate. Johnny Davis burst onto the scene. They had the Houston win that sprung them up the rankings. I guess we will see where they end up. My guess is they are 6-9 range in the BIG.

3 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Let's put it this way. Last year at the Kohl center, IU took their reigning BIG championship roster to double overtime and lost. Wisconsin lost nearly everything from that team and replaced it with random bodies. 

We would like to think IU's roster and coaching staff are a great improvement over what we had last year. Yes, IU should win this game. And that is being realistic. 

Why didn’t we start predicting Buddy Boeheims slow spin move that he always uses and either draw changes or steals. Every drive. Also we needed to extend on defense and force their shooters a step back from where they want to be. To many open looks from comfortable spots. But man, someone should have caught on on BB spin move. I think once late in game Rob finally predicted it.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

35 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

IU might win at Wisky but they won’t be favored.   If college basketball has taught people anything it is that anything can happen.   IU could go into Kohl and win and everybody here would be happy as could be and then IU could turn around and lose to northwestern or Penn st on the road.  Wisky might not have the talent of years past but they still have a winning culture where the kids in their program have tasted success whether they were starting or were redshirted during the B1G championship and only practiced.  If IU loses they won’t be the only B1G team to lose at Kohl this year.  

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

Officiating was bad both ways, but Cuse got a few more calls IMO

Announcing was terrible, Is Jimmy Dykes just waking up this morning from a sleepover at the Boeheims? 

Bring on Nebraska

IMO, it is rarely the calls that are made that make the most difference, it is what is not called. In this game the refs were generally poor all the way around but not typical BIG level bad from what I saw. Still, would it have killed them called a travel on one of Buddy Boeheim's hop, skip, jump, stumble, and slide moves to the basket or one of the multitude of illegal screens poorly disguised as a roll after the pick? 

I wonder how the SEC feels about Jimmy Dykes cheating on them with the Boeheims and the ACC? 

11 minutes ago, Bobman1 said:

Not a huge fan of moral victories, but it was hard not to be optimistic about this squad's future after last night's game. Shooting is vastly improved, FT's don't look like an enormous problem like they had been in years past, hustle and effort were there from everybody, and some serious half-time adjustments were seen. Don't come out of the gate that poorly and we don't have to spend the rest of the game clawing back from an 18 point deficit. 

Sure, Cuse may not look great this year. But it was still a true road game against a difficult defense to prepare for. The Orange were a preseason borderline top 25 team, and I'm confident they will play their way into the tournament and probably win a few games as well given the Orange's history. The next month or so of basketball will be very interesting to see how this team responds, but I see no reason why this team can't compete for a top 5 finish in the B1G.  

Agree. The slow start though was bad, though, and not sure why we came out of the gate so poorly. 

Some stat pluses -- we shot 40 percent from deep, our outside shooting is clearly improving, though Bates was an unusual 0-4, after coming into the game over 40 percent, he's going to continue to get better as he adjusts as a frosh. Related, Kopp turned the corner last night, major bounce back game for him. 

On the very down side, 26 TO's is awful, and 7 of those were by Race and 6 by TJD. Guess they'll be doing some serious running. I was confused as to why X wasn't more involved in the scoring -- 9 assists (to 3 TO's) if fantastic, but only 2 shots? Our offense is improving, but it's still not well balanced, and I think we're going too far in shortening the bench. 3 players playing 45 plus minutes, another with 39 in a double OT game while the bench barely played -- right, our bench had a terrible last game, but before that game it was a plus, and guys like Bates and Geronimo need playing time, Lander too, we're going to need that bench support in the B1G.

Like others have said, no fan of moral victories, but I'm not too down over this loss.

Pretty good shooting, on the road, came back after being down, etc.. 

Cuse are great this year, but they're a solid team. If anything, our D let us downs.

Loved the way we fought back, and kept fighting. In previous years, not sure that would have happened. 

We were a TJD free throw or two away, or Bates making 1 of his 4 3pters away, from a tough come back road win.

Need to do better of course, but not an awful loss. Definitely some positives. 

1 hour ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Agree. The slow start though was bad, though, and not sure why we came out of the gate so poorly. 

Some stat pluses -- we shot 40 percent from deep, our outside shooting is clearly improving, though Bates was an unusual 0-4, after coming into the game over 40 percent, he's going to continue to get better as he adjusts as a frosh. Related, Kopp turned the corner last night, major bounce back game for him. 

On the very down side, 26 TO's is awful, and 7 of those were by Race and 6 by TJD. Guess they'll be doing some serious running. I was confused as to why X wasn't more involved in the scoring -- 9 assists (to 3 TO's) if fantastic, but only 2 shots? Our offense is improving, but it's still not well balanced, and I think we're going too far in shortening the bench. 3 players playing 45 plus minutes, another with 39 in a double OT game while the bench barely played -- right, our bench had a terrible last game, but before that game it was a plus, and guys like Bates and Geronimo need playing time, Lander too, we're going to need that bench support in the B1G.

Re: on X not scoring -- X's scoring mostly comes on taking his man off the dribble, so while I'm surprised at him only having 2 shots, the fact that that come with 9 assists isn't surprising.  If you penetrate Syracuse's zone, the zone should have to collapse to react and leave the inside scorers open.

That also probably why Kopp and Stewart's shot totals were up -- they are capable of shooting over a zone.

i wasn't able to catch the game until late into the second half -- any suggestions on why Race and TJD turned it over that much?  Race's would be more concerning considering he isn't expected to score like TJD.

Finally....Galloway is missed and I know there are quite a few posters here who aren't fans of his game.  On offense, while he doesn't score much, he does keep the ball moving and is a good passer;  defensively, I don't think anyone provides more energy than he does.  It's not always the guy with the best ability that performs the best.

11 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

Anyone else disappointed that the announcers spent the two OT basically just trying to trash the two teams instead of selling the product?  Jesus…you have two teams playing a 2 OT, 112-110 game…..that’s not the time for you as an announcer to let everyone know how ‘you would have done it differently’.

I have mastered the art of completely blocking out the announcers. I usually have a dialogue going on with my son and only listen to the announcers when i need to.

1 hour ago, ebridges24 said:

I have mastered the art of completely blocking out the announcers. I usually have a dialogue going on with my son and only listen to the announcers when i need to.

I could definitely talk to my kids but I'd probably just get some gibberish back from my son or just tackled and my daughter would say "no" or "go away." So I unfortunately have to listen to them for the most part. 

2 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

Re: on X not scoring -- X's scoring mostly comes on taking his man off the dribble, so while I'm surprised at him only having 2 shots, the fact that that come with 9 assists isn't surprising.  If you penetrate Syracuse's zone, the zone should have to collapse to react and leave the inside scorers open.

That also probably why Kopp and Stewart's shot totals were up -- they are capable of shooting over a zone.

i wasn't able to catch the game until late into the second half -- any suggestions on why Race and TJD turned it over that much?  Race's would be more concerning considering he isn't expected to score like TJD.

Finally....Galloway is missed and I know there are quite a few posters here who aren't fans of his game.  On offense, while he doesn't score much, he does keep the ball moving and is a good passer;  defensively, I don't think anyone provides more energy than he does.  It's not always the guy with the best ability that performs the best.

Maybe what I miss most about Galloway sitting on the bench is his knowledge and communication and leadership in getting the other underclassmen in the right position like a coach while he is on the floor. Not having him there coordinating could possibly be a contributing factor in reasons why the newer guys on the bench have produced poorly the past two games. Not sure about that, but I could see that being a contributing factor. Maybe he could become more vocally involved from the bench helping some of the younger guys with positioning, awareness, and situational mindset when they are on the floor in the weeks/month(s) he is stuck on the bench waiting for his arm to heal. It is harder to contribute like that from the bench than it is to contribute like that on the floor, but it is possible. He can be so valuable in that way. His communication with everybody on the team on the floor including our top dogs actually has been really good, and has helped a lot even though no box score has a stat line that scores communication on the floor.