Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ Syracuse - 11/30/21 @ 7:00 on ESPN2

4 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

That’s very disappointing and would highlight that he’s simply not quite where we need him to be…especially since TJD was in good position to stop the play.

He should have just slid by and let TJD handle it!  That’s part of his maturation period as a college basketball player. He still has a lot to learn and I believe CMW and staff will use the very foul to teach him.

18 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that we will show out against both Nebraska AND Wisconsin.

Get ready for a fun next two games.

Good to be optimistic.  IU is going to have to prove it to me.  Should we beat Wisconsin.  Probably.  TJD should be unguardable in that matchup.  Will we beat them?  I predict we won’t.  Wisconsin will dirty it up.  Refs will help them.  They will hit open threes and win a close one. 

In the bigger picture, the game was not very encouraging imo.   IU gave up 112 points to a fairly ordinary, mediocre Syracuse team. Syracuse penetrated almost at will while getting too many open 3s. 26 IU turnovers--7 by Race Thompson and six by TJD? Race Thompson missing two consecutive shots  from 2-inches out? Tamar Bates shooting four ill conceived 3-point shots, one from 35 feet? Parker Stewart fouling 90 feet from the basket in overtime? Jordan Geronimo completely out-of-sync.  Poor Kristian Lander, who generally played well after Johnson and Phinisee fouled out, failed to execute in the last 10 seconds of the first overtime. The team was unready to play, which has to be on the coaching staff. They seemed totally lost in the first half, as if there was no preparation against the Syracuse zone. It is hard to see how this IU team beats Purdue (soon to be #1 in the nation), Ohio State (which just defeated #1 Duke) or even Wisconsin. Yes, we showed fight after the first half. But  a team that shoots 55% from the field including 40% from 3-point range and significantly out rebounds its opponent should win.  Miller Kopp played like we hoped he would this season and that was a bright spot.  Otherwise, a very frustrating game.

The turnovers are a concern. But, we do have a new PG leading the team along with Kopp and Parker. 6 turnovers for TJD is disappointing but he's play like a 1st team All-America so far this year.

It's hard to prepare for the Syracuse zone. You can't replicate it in practice no matter who you are or what staff you have, it's impossible. Some turnovers were expected but it's hard to win with 26 turnovers. 

It could be a bad loss come March but there's plenty of time to grab some great wins. 110 points was cool to see, first time in years. 

- Lander played well considering he came in during the biggest moment of the game. 

- Race just had a bad game, it happens. 

- Parker and Kopp can shoot, but can they play defense? Ehh.. 

Did anyone else notice Dane Fife move down towards the middle of the bench? How long has that been a thing or maybe it's just a slight adjustment. Sometimes this occurs when players are bench problems. Thought that was interesting. 

11 minutes ago, Trish said:

The turnovers are a concern. But, we do have a new PG leading the team along with Kopp and Parker. 6 turnovers for TJD is disappointing but he's play like a 1st team All-America so far this year.

It's hard to prepare for the Syracuse zone. You can't replicate it in practice no matter who you are or what staff you have, it's impossible. Some turnovers were expected but it's hard to win with 26 turnovers. 

It could be a bad loss come March but there's plenty of time to grab some great wins. 110 points was cool to see, first time in years. 

- Lander played well considering he came in during the biggest moment of the game. 

- Race just had a bad game, it happens. 

- Parker and Kopp can shoot, but can they play defense? Ehh.. 

Did anyone else notice Dane Fife move down towards the middle of the bench? How long has that been a thing or maybe it's just a slight adjustment. Sometimes this occurs when players are bench problems. Thought that was interesting. 

Pretty sure Dane sat there during the Marshall game too. I think he likes being down between the players. He was doing a lot of talking to X after fouling out. 

4 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Pretty sure Dane sat there during the Marshall game too. I think he likes being down between the players. He was doing a lot of talking to X after fouling out. 

Gotcha! Maybe he did the same thing at MSU? I'm not sure. The players seem to really respect him, always look him in the eyes during the TV timeouts that I've seen. 

I have a sneaking suspicion that we will show out against both Nebraska AND Wisconsin.
Get ready for a fun next two games.

If that happens I will feel good about this teams chances. However I think we win vs braska and lose at wisconsin. If we lose both Lookout if we split were still kinda meh

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Good to be optimistic.  IU is going to have to prove it to me.  Should we beat Wisconsin.  Probably.  TJD should be unguardable in that matchup.  Will we beat them?  I predict we won’t.  Wisconsin will dirty it up.  Refs will help them.  They will hit open threes and win a close one. 

same. I have seen too many moral victories over the past decade. Just win the damn games 

I will add one more thing, Bates looked like a true freshman last night. The step-back three in OT that banked of the backboard wasn't what we really needed at the time. But he will only get better with time. 

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

We should beat #23 Wisconsin at their place? Come on now, let's at least be realistic. 

Just now, Chris007 said:

We should beat #23 Wisconsin at their place? Come on now, let's at least be realistic. 

I have watched plenty of both teams. For Wisconsin It's the Jonny Davis show, that is it. So Yes, IU should beat Wisconsin on any floor with any amount of badger fans or badger refs. 

But they won't.