Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ Syracuse - 11/30/21 @ 7:00 on ESPN2

1 hour ago, HoosierAloha said:

Like that Jimmy Dykes is on the call for this one.

I was just going to post the same thing. He's objective (read...NOT like Jay Bilas), doesn't get too hyped up like Dickie V, and really knows his stuff.

8 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Woody:  "The zone is what it is, guys, we can't run from it. ... When I played I licked my chops when I saw zones. I go into every game with Trayce knowing he's going to get trapped. ... We design things knowing he's going to get trapped from different spots on the floor."

8 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

I feel so much more confident when I listen to Woodson talk about upcoming games. Crean would give us a bunch of baseless platitudes about "building a hunger to win" or "wanting it more than them" and Miller would prattle on about needing to make plays or some other boring gibberish. 

7 hours ago, maharkn said:

I think we will see a lot of trayce at the foul line, Stewart on the wing, Kopp on a wing, and whoever the 4th is running baseline corner to corner. Would like to see bates and leal as the fourth should get good looks in the corners

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Hoosierfanyuh said:

Feel like x is fast and strong enough to break a zone when needed, but i agree i think FT’s are going to be huge this game 

5 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

I’m still pissed at Tom Crean for that sweet sixteen against them so that’s fair I suppose 

4 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Woody: "We always felt teams zoned us because they couldn't play man-to-man. I don't know if that's the case, but this is Boeheim's way of coaching." Another example Woody picked up from Bob Knight. Woody just does it in a much more pleasant manner than RMK.

Beautiful comments above. I expect to see multiple well crafted approaches breaking the Syracuse zone, all of the above and some more. I hope to see lots of overloads to one side like Crean ran against them too. Those overloads seem from memory to be the only formations Crean ran against Syracuse that beat them consistently, and those overloads to one side Crean ran did beat the Syracuse zone consistently.

Raised on Bobby Knight basketball it was so disheartening coach after coach, ex-post Bobby Knight, to watch IU basketball teams struggle against zone defense. For 20ish years that always shocked me every play of every game I watched that happen.

I am very grateful and thankful to God right now that our chief coach and the other badass coaches on our staff now thrive on beating obstacles such as this Syracuse zone. They seem to know how to beat these obstacles and they seem to know how to teach multiple foundational concepts at top level of training to our hungry young, talented team. I love so much we finally have some of the best coaches in the game coaching our team again, like in classic IU days.

13 minutes ago, JHoosier914 said:

Pardon me if I missed this, but the line has already moved 2.5 points in IU’s favor. That’s a lot of movement in such a short amount of time

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

That's big - do the 'Cuse have an undisclosed injury?

2 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

Any word on Phin's availability?  Not wild about seeing Lander come in and handling the zone.

One thing we haven’t seen yet is a tighter rotation. I would like to see TJD and XJ play 35 minutes - barring foul trouble they should be able to do that. They’re 21 years old in the prime of their fitness lives… no need to play Lander/Phinisee/Durr major minutes

10 hours ago, chicagoHOOSIER said:

Beautiful comments above. I expect to see multiple well crafted approaches breaking the Syracuse zone, all of the above and some more. I hope to see lots of overloads to one side like Crean ran against them too. Those overloads seem from memory to be the only formations Crean ran against Syracuse that beat them consistently, and those overloads to one side Crean ran did beat the Syracuse zone consistently.

Raised on Bobby Knight basketball it was so disheartening coach after coach, ex-post Bobby Knight, to watch IU basketball teams struggle against zone defense. For 20ish years that always shocked me every play of every game I watched that happen.

I am very grateful and thankful to God right now that our chief coach and the other badass coaches on our staff now thrive on beating obstacles such as this Syracuse zone. They seem to know how to beat these obstacles and they seem to know how to teach multiple foundational concepts at top level of training to our hungry young, talented team. I love so much we finally have some of the best coaches in the game coaching our team again, like in classic IU days.

In Archie Miller's defense, I always thought IU was really good against zones the last 4 years. 

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

In Archie Miller's defense, I always thought IU was really good against zones the last 4 years. 

If all teams played zone Archie would still be the coach. Made his offense actually fun to watch

8 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

One thing we haven’t seen yet is a tighter rotation. I would like to see TJD and XJ play 35 minutes - barring foul trouble they should be able to do that. They’re 21 years old in the prime of their fitness lives… no need to play Lander/Phinisee/Durr major minutes

At least for right now, you won’t see a tighter rotation.  CMW has made it perfectly clear he wants to play a 10 man rotation and he thinks he has the players to do that.  He wants to utilize his bench in such a way that he wears teams down and IU can pull away down the stretch in a tight game.  I for one am for that.  Maybe it will prevent us from having an end-season slump, like we’ve all not enjoyed over the last several years!