Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Lebowski

OC Candidates

Just to start the conversation here are a couple that come to mind. 

Coach Mike Hart - RB Michigan
Has a history with CTA and was taken away from UM last year. Might be able to get him back if promoted to OC.

Coach Andrew Sowder - OC Kent St.
In his 4th season, his 2nd year as OC moved the team up to rank 66th total offense, 3rd year 1st in total offense, this year his offense currently sits at 8th. 

1 hour ago, Lebowski said:

Just to start the conversation here are a couple that come to mind. 

Coach Mike Hart - RB Michigan
Has a history with CTA and was taken away from UM last year. Might be able to get him back if promoted to OC.

Coach Andrew Sowder - OC Kent St.
In his 4th season, his 2nd year as OC moved the team up to rank 66th total offense, 3rd year 1st in total offense, this year his offense currently sits at 8th. 

Major Applewhite who is with Kane Womack in South Alabama. 

Graham Harrell at USC now. I can think of a few others, the guy at WKY. Whoever it is I'm guessing they will have Power 5 coaching experience. 

19 hours ago, Chris007 said:

my problem with him is he's never called plays. Chip Kelley calls them all. 

Yeah I was thinking of adding OL coach Stacy Searels but he's never been an OC.  

A couple of OL coaches that I would love to land as OC but don't think it would happen due to schools they are currently at and loyalty:
Doug Marrone - Bama (Probably can't afford him and coming here might be considered a demotion?)
Jeff Quinn - ND (see above and probably loyal to Brian Kelly)

He probably saved his job by knocking off unbeaten UTSA last weekend, but if North Texas decides to go in another direction I would take a look at bringing Seth Littrell back to Bloomington.  He was here in 2012 and 2013 as Co-OC with Kevin Johns, where IU's total offense improved from 102nd in 2011 to 53rd in 2012 and again to 16th in 2013.  He's been the HC at North Texas since 2016 and has had three different teams finish in the top-30 in total offense, including two teams that had nine-win seasons.  He also had the 38th and 9th ranked total offenses in his two seasons as OC at North Carolina, and improved UNT's offense by 29 spots when he took back over play calling duties.

Zach Kittley at Western Kentucky.  He's an 'old' 30 in terms of experience and leadership. If we don't act quickly he'll likely end up at Texas Tech.  Mike Hart?  C'mon man!  

Allen will end up going with someone he's 'comfortable with'.  Look for the OC at Liberty to fill Sheridan's slot.  It may help,...but this thing is going in reverse.  Next year likely won't be much different than '21.  As things stand, IU is a mid-level WAC or MAC football program.

5 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

After reading about the dilemma CTA might be in regarding staff replacement, it looks like IUFB is only going to get an OC.  So that makes me think he'll be looking for not only an OC but a QB coach as well.  

And someone who is OK working with our current situation. The pool just got smaller if everything stays the same. 

39 minutes ago, Scot said:

Allen will end up going with someone he's 'comfortable with'.  Look for the OC at Liberty to fill Sheridan's slot.  It may help,...but this thing is going in reverse.  Next year likely won't be much different than '21.  As things stand, IU is a mid-level WAC or MAC football program.

New OC will have minimal impact unless we add several big ten level skill players. I think the new guy comes from a mid major program as well.

3 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

New OC will have minimal impact unless we add several big ten level skill players. I think the new guy comes from a mid major program as well.

We probably can't pay top dollar for a power 5 guy. 

On 11/29/2021 at 11:49 AM, Chris007 said:

Major Applewhite who is with Kane Womack in South Alabama. 

Graham Harrell at USC now. I can think of a few others, the guy at WKY. Whoever it is I'm guessing they will have Power 5 coaching experience. 

If Allen could get Major Applewhite I'd take back a few bad things I've said about CTA.  I do think, though, that Applewhite took the job at South Alabama to be under a little bit less pressure and spend time with his family.  

5 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

How about Willy Korn (Coastal Carolina, co-offensive coordinator and quarterback coach)?  He has experience as a receivers coach, quarterback coach, and offensive coordinator.

I would be totally on board with this. I do think he has to be on a shortlist of people to talk to. 

1 hour ago, brumdog45 said:

How about Willy Korn (Coastal Carolina, co-offensive coordinator and quarterback coach)?  He has experience as a receivers coach, quarterback coach, and offensive coordinator.

Has he been around long enough to have his own system? Chadwell is the mastermind behind that offense, which we definitely aren't running here and TA doesn't have an offensive system to plug into like he does on defense.

The Herald Times put out THIS LIST of potential candidates today.  It is for subscribers only, but I think I'm OK listing the names without the info/comments in the article (MODS - if not feel free to delete):

Robert Weiner Co-OC/QBs Toledo

Make Hart RBs Michigan

Kirk Ciarroccca Analyst W. Virginia

Justin Frye Co-OC/OL UCLA

Rod Carey ex-Coach Temple

Zack Kittley OC/QBs W. Kentucky

Also mentioned Grant Heard and Deland McCullough as 2 potential internal candidates