Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Two Grown Men at Guard

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Parker Stewart and X Johnson aren’t flawless, but they are grown men.

Tonight when there was adversity they responded with maturity, confidence, and hard hard work.

Incredible additions, both of them.

Forget who tweeted this around IU’s first game (Schumann or Osterman, I think) but TJD is IU’s youngest starter in the X/Stew/Kopp/Race/TJD lineup. I feel like you can tell there’s a ton of experience in the way they play.

7 minutes ago, lillurk said:

Forget who tweeted this around IU’s first game (Schumann or Osterman, I think) but TJD is IU’s youngest starter in the X/Stew/Kopp/Race/TJD lineup. I feel like you can tell there’s a ton of experience in the way they play.

Beat me to that exact point. These guys haven’t played a lot of basketball together yet, but they’ve played a lot of basketball. The one thing I’m in no way worried about is them going on the road and flinching.

That game changed when XJ came back into the game in the first half. He began pressure the heck out of their point guard and even denying him the ball.  
That's when IU's energy and effort, especially defensively changed. 

Agree not sure if X did that on his own or if the coaches had him do it but that blew up their game. He smothered that kid and their lead evaporated quickly

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, lillurk said:

So you're saying we should get old and stay old?

Xavier Johnson is a bad dude. He does look like a grown man out there.

We haven't had a guard like XJ in a long time.  He's not as talented as Yogi, but he's got more of a mean streak in him than anyone I can remember.  We've needed a player like him in the worst way the past few years.

13 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

Xavier Johnson is a bad dude. He does look like a grown man out there.

We haven't had a guard like XJ in a long time.  He's not as talented as Yogi, but he's got more of a mean streak in him than anyone I can remember.  We've needed a player like him in the worst way the past few years.

You do see a look with him like "I'm not going to take this crap anymore" and then he makes a play. That, in my opinion, will be the difference between winning and losing a few times this season.

On 11/28/2021 at 12:34 PM, Alford Bailey said:

XJ is what I expected. The guard we haven’t had in a while. Stewart I was worried about but think he is starting to come around.

I was expecting Stewart to be an okay shooter who had the ability to drive and create.  Instead I think he is more of a shooter than a guy who creates.  Truth is we probably do need him as a shooter than a creator, so that's probably good.

On 11/28/2021 at 12:29 PM, MikeRoberts said:

XJ has that fight. I like Stewart but I’m not sure I see that same fire.

Stewart should be getting off 7+ 3’s a game. He doesn’t hunt his shot like he needs to 

I do think Stewart is certainly starting to look for his shot more than he was early in the season.  15 of 27 from three the past four games and that's with two games where he only played 18 minutes in each since they were blowouts.

29 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

I do think Stewart is certainly starting to look for his shot more than he was early in the season.  15 of 27 from three the past four games and that's with two games where he only played 18 minutes in each since they were blowouts.

He definitely has the green light, as he should. Love his form too. 

He definitely has the green light, as he should. Love his form too. 

There’s going to several Hoosiers who I want to use their extra year of eligibility. Parker Stewart is climbing the list. Every team needs a confident shooter. Unfortunately we are loaded at guard next season and beyond so it’ll be interesting.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

XJ has to find a way to stay on the floor.... completely different team when he is in Foul Trouble...

I love the tenacious D, but if it gets him in foul trouble that kills us.... but more it is the ticky tack fouls that he picks up that he needs to clean up....