Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan2017

Put Tom Allen on the hot seat

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

For real. Basically “hey you won’t get to pick your assistants but come here and try to revive a really bad offense with the coaches who were all here for that really bad offense.” Not the ideal job posting. Do you know how much we can pay the new OC? 

I have not heard a number yet. 

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

So what I'm hearing is Allen had to take the pay cut to raise the money for Sheridan to be fired because the athletic department doesn't have any money & no donors want to step up to help get rid of assistants. We don't have the money to buy out Hiller $800K and pay the new person. 

Thanks Archie…

7 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Donors bought him out. Donors don't care about the football program. I'm guessing this has more to do with the money the athletic department lost during COVID and overpaid the current staff. 

Just take it from a different department to give to the AD like McRobbie had been doing with Big Ten revenue for years

2 minutes ago, hoopsta007 said:

Just take it from a different department to give to the AD like McRobbie had been doing with Big Ten revenue for years

I think most departments already gave money to the athletic department and don't have any more to give. Dolson is a fundraiser so I'm going to trust he will find a way out of this. 

On 11/27/2021 at 7:10 PM, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Before I begin, yes, I’m aware that Allen is here for years to come because our lovely administration gave him a king’s ransom. Maybe this will be a jinx thread like my Fire Tom Allen thread. 

Allen has been the head coach for five full seasons now. He inherited a program in pretty good shape (for IU), going to back to back bowl games before he took over. His fifth season is now over, and we are the worst team in the Big Ten. We like to blame our division, but we were blown out by Rutgers, Purdue, and Minnesota this year. We returned the vast majority of last year’s starters and had the worst season in a decade. Winless in the conference, and winless against the P5.

After five years, Allen is 26-32, and 15-28 in the conference. We’ve missed a bowl game three out of five years. Some give the covid year more credit than others. However much you give it, we were 6-1 in the conference that year, 9-27 in the conference during the four normal seasons. For all the talk about his recruiting, our 2021 class was 12th in the conference, and the 2020 class was too. We’ll see how many 2022 guys stick with IU. 

We have so many things to fix next season. Give Allen next year to fix them. If we have another year like this year, well…

These contracts come standard MINUS one item.  A MINIMAL performance clause.

18 hours ago, Hovadipo said:

The recruiting class ranking being the argument here doesn’t hold much weight imo. When you’re an average class rating of about 2 points from having the 4th-7th ranked class in the conference, it’s more about putting the players in right positions than getting the right players. McFadden, one of the 10 best IU players in my lifetime, was pretty much unranked. There are players on this roster and more coming, they just need to be put in better position to succeed. 

Exactly.  Plus, wasn't our last class rather small, which hurt our ranking.   Quality is more important than quantity, especially when you don't have a lot of scholarships available in the first place.

Much of our consternation regarding Allen, I think, centers around his inability or unwillingness to address and deal decisively with downward onfield performance.  This is resulting in poorer recruiting and now a flood of portal players.  The appearance is that he seems more interested in 'protecting' the status quo than fixing what's wrong.  I'm afraid IU's and CTA's lack of gravitas may only get worse.

5 minutes ago, Scot said:

Much of our consternation regarding Allen, I think, centers around his inability or unwillingness to address and deal decisively with downward onfield performance.  This is resulting in poorer recruiting and now a flood of portal players.  The appearance is that he seems more interested in 'protecting' the status quo than fixing what's wrong.  I'm afraid IU's and CTA's lack of gravitas may only get worse.

We have the 6th ranked class (3rd by average star rating) in the B1G committed and our flood of portal players includes 2 - 3 if you want to stretch it - players that ever played meaningful snaps.

3 hours ago, Chris007 said:

So what I'm hearing is Allen had to take the pay cut to raise the money for Sheridan to be fired because the athletic department doesn't have any money & no donors want to step up to help get rid of assistants. We don't have the money to buy out Hiller $800K and pay the new person. Whoever the new OC is, he will have to work with the current assistants. Hopefully, that is bad info but doesn't sound good. It's like trying to get someone to buy a new car before telling them it needs a new engine. Allen got all of these assistants' new contracts either last year or two years ago, then got a big raise himself and now we have no money to make any changes. Do all assistants get multi-year deals on CFB? 

This is devastating to read. IUFB desperately needs to address two areas, OL and what I like to call development. Development falls into strength and conditioning along with what Dr. Rhea did.  His title was "Football High School Performance Coordinator" whatever that means.  He and Ballou basically minimized injuries and increased performance.  Because whatever Hiller and Wellman are doing, it ain't working.

I used to be amazed at what athletic departments would offer when they wanted a coach that was somewhere else. Now I'm even more amazed at what schools will pay because they're scared sh*tless that their coach might leave. 

Absolutely incredible that we can't fire the guy responsible for the worst offensive line in the conference because his boss received such a huge payday for winning 6 games in a shortened season. 

5 hours ago, Chris007 said:

So what I'm hearing is Allen had to take the pay cut to raise the money for Sheridan to be fired because the athletic department doesn't have any money & no donors want to step up to help get rid of assistants. We don't have the money to buy out Hiller $800K and pay the new person. Whoever the new OC is, he will have to work with the current assistants. Hopefully, that is bad info but doesn't sound good. It's like trying to get someone to buy a new car before telling them it needs a new engine. Allen got all of these assistants' new contracts either last year or two years ago, then got a big raise himself and now we have no money to make any changes. Do all assistants get multi-year deals on CFB? 

That's not the news I want to hear, but it's 100% believable. We're going to have to hit a home run in the OC position and then hit MULTIPLE home-runs in the transfer portal.

We should also decide who is the starting QB,  ideally a transfer or the freshman QB.

We 100% can't start next year with Penix next year if he's on the roster. It's time for him transfer or take up another sport, perhaps bowling? 

25 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I used to be amazed at what athletic departments would offer when they wanted a coach that was somewhere else. Now I'm even more amazed at what schools will pay because they're scared sh*tless that their coach might leave. 

Absolutely incredible that we can't fire the guy responsible for the worst offensive line in the conference because his boss received such a huge payday for winning 6 games in a shortened season. 

Would we be worse off if Allen left after the 8 win season than we are right now?

6 hours ago, Chris007 said:

If this is the case, and we only had the money to fire one coach, did we fire the right one?  I mean, not many offensive schemes work when defenders are already in the backfield before the handoff is made or your QB only has about 1 second to make a throw or has to scramble.

6 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

I'm still thinking about the money situation. I mean it feels like the IU Athletic Department just doesn't want fans to show up at football games. I can't believe they're in this predicament.

Dolson is a fundraiser so if he wants it to change then he will find a way to raise the money.