Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

College Basketball Doomsday Scenarios

2 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

The season being cancelled again. 

I can only watch the Indiana-Maryland game from Yogis senior year so many times. 

Supplement that with the Iowa game where Yogi hit the dagger and you're golden.

Man, Yogi was good.

The season being cancelled again. 

I can only watch the Indiana-Maryland game from Yogis senior year so many times. 

I would choose both the Michigan games when he was there. If only Vic had made that dunk.

Edited by OliviaPope40

Jeez.  After reading this thread and getting depressed, I asked myself what could be worse than the above scenarios. So I took off my bifocals and washed my face...after taking out my hearing aids. Took a few ibuprofen, my meds...  Then I reflected on the basketball program at IU since RMK and started looking for my bourbon.  But I am out.

I really like college basketball.  Correction, I really liked college basketball and football.   And I hope to like them a lot in the near future.  But the worst thing may be happening.  The P5 universities and conferences that really give direction to the NCAA have botched college sports.  If any of us are left that think that college sports is not being bought and sold to the highest bidders...then enjoy it when the Alabamas and Ohio States of college football scene are in the BCS4 every. Single. Year.

How is professional ball doing with their salary caps?  I can't wait until all players have corporate pins and patches and logos on their uniforms.  And the referees are also paid directly by the home team or the university that paid the non-P5 college to visit.  That will be the single worst thing to happen.

Oh, did I miss something already?

PS: I really am a cup is half full kind of person.  Excited for IU basketball!  And for the players getting some fair compensation.  But wonder about the all mighty dollar and the corporations, etc.  I have a wonderful family and friends...and actually, for real...I am not and never will be out of bourbon.

5 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

The ‘15-‘16 team doesn’t get enough credit around here. Yogi was awesome. Having your PG be a scoring threat is like a cheat code. 

Outside of a national title run, I really couldn't have asked for a better final year at IU. That team was a blast between Yogi and Thomas being absolute killers and us playing a really fun style. Pounding the hell out of the Diamond Stone and Melo Trimble Maryland team to win the B1G was fantastic.

36 minutes ago, Dave from Dayton said:

Jeez.  After reading this thread and getting depressed, I asked myself what could be worse than the above scenarios. So I took off my bifocals and washed my face...after taking out my hearing aids. Took a few ibuprofen, my meds...  Then I reflected on the basketball program at IU since RMK and started looking for my bourbon.  But I am out.

I really like college basketball.  Correction, I really liked college basketball and football.   And I hope to like them a lot in the near future.  But the worst thing may be happening.  The P5 universities and conferences that really give direction to the NCAA have botched college sports.  If any of us are left that think that college sports is not being bought and sold to the highest bidders...then enjoy it when the Alabamas and Ohio States of college football scene are in the BCS4 every. Single. Year.

How is professional ball doing with their salary caps?  I can't wait until all players have corporate pins and patches and logos on their uniforms.  And the referees are also paid directly by the home team or the university that paid the non-P5 college to visit.  That will be the single worst thing to happen.

Oh, did I miss something already?

Yes. you did miss something.

Cheer the hell up. This is nothing new. The "good old days" are what they'll call these years in the future. 

Back when Sam Gilbert was buying players for UCLA and the whole country was genuflecting to Wooden, there was only one dominant team in men's basketball (10 out of 12 years champion), and March Madness was so limited that the Cinderellas weren't in the same galaxy as the dance. In football, for decades there were only two teams in the B1G that mattered even a little. In the 1950s there were cigarette adverts on every outfield wall. And it was fine. And it still is fine.

Are there things that could be improved? There always are. In the mean time, enjoy the extraordinarily great games.

And appreciate the current state of IU sports! Between men's soccer, women's basketball, and the apparently resurgent men's basketball, it is pretty damn excellent. 

Having any Archie-like downfall would really suck. TJDs freshman year we started off like 11-1 I believe. 

I don't think Woodson will lose his team like Miller did. Woodson has coached in high-pressure environments, had a professional playing career and knows what it takes to be successful here. Archie Miller was just a guy. 

5 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I don't think Woodson will lose his team like Miller did. Woodson has coached in high-pressure environments, had a professional playing career and knows what it takes to be successful here. Archie Miller was just a guy. 

I feel like Archie definitely coasted through his time here. Really never seemed to care. 

I loathe Miller but I don’t think it’s fair to say he didn’t care.  I think he just wasn’t willing to change himself to be successful here.  

Sometimes leadership is about approaching things differently and changing your approach. He didn’t seem to grasp that on a fundamental level 

41 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I loathe Miller but I don’t think it’s fair to say he didn’t care.  I think he just wasn’t willing to change himself to be successful here.  

Sometimes leadership is about approaching things differently and changing your approach. He didn’t seem to grasp that on a fundamental level 

If he cared he would have acted differently. 

4 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

And some people are like that even when they care about it 

Unless you're depressed, probably not gonna act like that when you don't want to keep failing. I think he just said screw it when he got to Indiana. Felt he finally made it big time and didn't need to work hard to succeed. Then towards the end said screw it, I'm gonna get paid no matter what. 

18 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Unless you're depressed, probably not gonna act like that when you don't want to keep failing. I think he just said screw it when he got to Indiana. Felt he finally made it big time and didn't need to work hard to succeed. Then towards the end said screw it, I'm gonna get paid no matter what. 

Do honestly think all people are the same and respond the same?  Regardless of depression people respond differently 

I think Archie Miller knew he made a mistake the minute he sat down for his introductory press conference. Usually coaches are energized and excited for that moment when they represent a wave of new hope. He sounded like the quiet kid in the back of the class who has to get up and talk in front of everyone and just wants to get it over with. 

7 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Do honestly think all people are the same and respond the same?  Regardless of depression people respond differently 

He cared he was just extremely stubborn on how his program was ran.  He was confident his approach from Dayton would work at a higher level job.  Unfortunately for IU and him he was wrong.   He had assistants last year that wanted him to switch some stuff up during that rough stretch when his way wasn’t working.   He refused