Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

IUFB Offseason/Transfer Portal News

2 minutes ago, Scot said:

... IU might get a 'body' or two but it'll be practice squad fodder, and you know it.

I mean, is that a bad thing?  We're talking IUFB here.

Also, it's fair to say you know as well as I do that we don't know how both McCulley and Tuttle will develop under Bell. I'm not holding my breath but I'm also not throwing in the towel. In my experience people react differently to a change. Especially at the leadership level. I'm going to sit back and see it all play out instead of bash the situation. But that's just me.  

16 minutes ago, Scot said:

That's cute, but not relevant in THIS cycle. He also had Josh Hoover flip. CTA made it clear that getting a top HS AND a portal QB was his primary focus in the immediate days ahead.  The FACT is anyone worth getting is already gone.  I put some of this on Bell.  Prospects look at what's out there and didn't like what they saw.  IU might get a 'body' or two but it'll be practice squad fodder, and you know it.

Think about it this way....IUFB is never going to get a day 1 ready QB out of high school. So the gap in not getting a HS QB in this cycle can quickly be filled via the portal next offseason. And several college football teams haven't finished their season yet so the portal game isn't even close to being finished this cycle. I'm sure most available QBs are very skeptical of IU right now so we have a season with a new offense to prove this is a place worth coming. If we don't prove that, well it never mattered who we got at QB this cycle anyway. Also, you seem like you'd be a lot of fun at a party. :-)

1 hour ago, Scot said:

That's cute, but not relevant in THIS cycle. He also had Josh Hoover flip. CTA made it clear that getting a top HS AND a portal QB was his primary focus in the immediate days ahead.  The FACT is anyone worth getting is already gone.  I put some of this on Bell.  Prospects look at what's out there and didn't like what they saw.  IU might get a 'body' or two but it'll be practice squad fodder, and you know it.

So now you changed the goal posts. Orginally it was CTA couldn't recruit QBs, but now it's he can't recruit them this cycle. 

And bear with me here... is there ANY possible way CTA pretty much stopped recruiting QBs in this cycle once we got the Hoover commit? Why would we continue to pursue any QBs? They would have p***** me off if I were Hoover. 

So we get a late decommit in the cycle and now he can't recruit? Idk. You obviously aren't going to be pleased, no matter. 

This whole thing is a lot more enjoyable when you look at IUFB through a realistic lens. 

31 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

Think about it this way....IUFB is never going to get a day 1 ready QB out of high school. So the gap in not getting a HS QB in this cycle can quickly be filled via the portal next offseason. And several college football teams haven't finished their season yet so the portal game isn't even close to being finished this cycle. I'm sure most available QBs are very skeptical of IU right now so we have a season with a new offense to prove this is a place worth coming. If we don't prove that, well it never mattered who we got at QB this cycle anyway. Also, you seem like you'd be a lot of fun at a party. :-)

To piggyback off of this, looking at the current list of QBs available in the transfer portal, I'd be happy with any of them committing to IUFB.  I mean, I'd prefer a high value proven transfer but I just don't think that's in the cards. And those on the current list can't do any worse than our current situation. For me it's about adding depth and if that OL doesn't improve it really doesn't matter who's starting QB. 

44 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

"Oh you only have 20 hot girls here? I wanted 25"

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

So now you changed the goal posts. Orginally it was CTA couldn't recruit QBs, but now it's he can't recruit them this cycle. 

And bear with me here... is there ANY possible way CTA pretty much stopped recruiting QBs in this cycle once we got the Hoover commit? Why would we continue to pursue any QBs? They would have p***** me off if I were Hoover. 

So we get a late decommit in the cycle and now he can't recruit? Idk. You obviously aren't going to be pleased, no matter. 

This whole thing is a lot more enjoyable when you look at IUFB through a realistic lens. 

8 top QB flips have gone elsewhere since Hoover announced.  I'm sure IU was making inquiries to at least some of them.

52 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

Your response not only is 'clouded' but makes no sense.  Wasn't the Lawrence North QB, a 4* right out of high school?

4 minutes ago, Scot said:

8 top QB flips have gone elsewhere since Hoover announced.  I'm sure IU was making inquiries to at least some of them.

For sure. And there are still some good ones out there (Ward, Jones).

Here's to hoping we end up with a great player and a great fit, right?

1 hour ago, Lebowski said:

I mean, is that a bad thing?  We're talking IUFB here.

Also, it's fair to say you know as well as I do that we don't know how both McCulley and Tuttle will develop under Bell. I'm not holding my breath but I'm also not throwing in the towel. In my experience people react differently to a change. Especially at the leadership level. I'm going to sit back and see it all play out instead of bash the situation. But that's just me.  

"talking IU football here".  At last check IU had a multimillion dollar coaching staff and played in the toughest conference division in FBS.

Developing Tuttle?  

4 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

For sure. And there are still some good ones out there (Ward, Jones).

Here's to hoping we end up with a great player and a great fit, right?

That would be nice.  

11 minutes ago, Scot said:

"talking IU football here".  At last check IU had a multimillion dollar coaching staff and played in the toughest conference division in FBS.

Developing Tuttle?  

Yep. IUFB. 

Maybe. You and I just don't know if that's possible. 

23 minutes ago, btownqb said:

NOWHERE did I say CTA couldn't recruit. This class is amazingly ranked between 18-14 depending what service is referenced.  That said, this, and everyone of his 'classes' have been defense heavy, which is fine. That's Allen's comfort zone. I'll get to the point on this portal thing.  Part of what a new OC SHOULD bring to the program is a bit of recruiting gravitas.  So far it's all been negative. If you're a kid leaving Oregon, Texas, USC, Baylor,..even Incarnate Word,....how excited are you about going to play under Walt Bell at Mass, just fired with a 2-10 record (and IU for that matter with ZERO conference wins?

19 minutes ago, Scot said:

Your response not only is 'clouded' but makes no sense.  Wasn't the Lawrence North QB, a 4* right out of high school?

How is it clouded? If it doesn't make sense to you, that's not on me. And being a 4 star recruit out of high school, regardless of position, does not mean you're ready for high level college football on day 1. 

2 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

Yep. IUFB. 

Maybe. You and I just don't know if that's possible. 

Leb, You're right, who knows?  But the fact that a 6 year backup might be the hope of the program going forward,..well, like you said, who knows?

The thrust of my original,post was simply this,..there are/have been about 8, maybe 9 desireable QB's wanting to go elsewhere.  That group is now depleted.  Every school that wanted one had a 'shot'.

34 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

To piggyback off of this, looking at the current list of QBs available in the transfer portal, I'd be happy with any of them committing to IUFB.  I mean, I'd prefer a high value proven transfer but I just don't think that's in the cards. And those on the current list can't do any worse than our current situation. For me it's about adding depth and if that OL doesn't improve it really doesn't matter who's starting QB. 

This is indeed step #1 to addressing out QB situation.

5 minutes ago, Scot said:

Leb, You're right, who knows?  But the fact that a 6 year backup might be the hope of the program going forward,..well, like you said, who knows?

The thrust of my original,post was simply this,..there are/have been about 8, maybe 9 desireable QB's wanting to go elsewhere.  That group is now depleted.  Every school that wanted one had a 'shot'.

Some QB's are going to play in their bowl game, then enter the portal like the Jones kid at Florida. So there might be others who we can look at after January 1st. 

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

Some QB's are going to play in their bowl game, then enter the portal like the Jones kid at Florida. So there might be others who we can look at after January 1st. 

That would be nice.  Hope it happens.  Not usually how it works.