Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

IUFB Offseason/Transfer Portal News

2 hours ago, Alford Bailey said:

We seem to be adding depth on defense. We’ve added virtually nothing on offense yet. A third down guy and a few guys looking for pt.

David Ellis healthy, DJ Matthews healthy, Carpenter healthy.. Added two RBs and 1WR. I feel like we also had more "younger guys" on offense, in general, as well.

27 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Offensive line, though, still a major concern regardless.

It’s not as much as many want to act like. The older guys weren’t very good but there is some younger talent there plus Bedford. The OL will improve especially with the right scheme change.

3 hours ago, Alford Bailey said:

We seem to be adding depth on defense. We’ve added virtually nothing on offense yet. A third down guy and a few guys looking for pt.

Would like to see a QB and some OL reinforcements, to be sure. I think it’s partially a strength-begets-strength thing: IU’s defense was pretty good, all things considered, in spite of tons of injuries. So guys want to join a good unit.

The offense, however…one of the worst units of an organized football team I’ve ever seen. Some of that is explained away by injury, as the offense looked okay with Mathews, Penix, and more than one D1 scholarship running back.

11 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

It was partially a numbers crunch. They decided they didn’t need a TE in the 22 class.

Tennessee makes absolutely nuts decisions in terms of coaching.  They let their previously head coach hire a defensive coordinator on January 12th of this year and then fired the head coach on January 18th.....ended up paying the DC they hired nearly a million dollars in severance for a position that he never really worked at.  They drove Cuonzo Martin out three years in and immediately after a sweet 16 season.  After Lane Kiffin moved on to USC after one year in Knoxville, hundreds of students rioted and set fires on campus.

At IU, we know that we haven't been successful in the past thirty years and it kills us.  Tennessee seems to think they still are successful and if they aren't, the world is to blame.

6 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

Offensive line, though, still a major concern regardless.

Don't expect this to change.  Bell and Hiller are old buddies.  Things may improve to an acceptable level on offense, across the board before next season.  If not,...it is obvious last season might be the highwater point by comparison.  Have you noticed that each year Allen/IU are more reliant on transfers, players from out of state.  If coach McCulloch took another job and his kids with him it'd be even worse.

9 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

Tennessee makes absolutely nuts decisions in terms of coaching.  They let their previously head coach hire a defensive coordinator on January 12th of this year and then fired the head coach on January 18th.....ended up paying the DC they hired nearly a million dollars in severance for a position that he never really worked at.  They drove Cuonzo Martin out three years in and immediately after a sweet 16 season.  After Lane Kiffin moved on to USC after one year in Knoxville, hundreds of students rioted and set fires on campus.

At IU, we know that we haven't been successful in the past thirty years and it kills us.  Tennessee seems to think they still are successful and if they aren't, the world is to blame.

But Rick Barnes has been immensely better and they're in a better spot in football than they were last year.  

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

But Rick Barnes has been immensely better and they're in a better spot in football than they were last year.  

Spoken like a true "homer!"  LOL

18 hours ago, ap2345 said:

I know nothing about him but 8 Big Ten offers, plus Pitt/West Va etc, is enough to tell me this is a great recruit to get this late. Bummer we lost Hoover but if the rest of the class stays with us we will have a better group of incoming players than I anticipated after last seasons mess.

Wonder if he has any OL buddies LOL

3 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

I know nothing about him but 8 Big Ten offers, plus Pitt/West Va etc, is enough to tell me this is a great recruit to get this late. Bummer we lost Hoover but if the rest of the class stays with us we will have a better group of incoming players than I anticipated after last seasons mess.

Wonder if he has any OL buddies LOL

IU isn't currently in a position to take any OL recruits. They may add one late in February or later but not now. That's why they haven't really chased any transfers either. 

6 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

IU isn't currently in a position to take any OL recruits. They may add one late in February or later but not now. That's why they haven't really chased any transfers either. 

So basically we are stuck with what we got?

1 minute ago, hoopsta007 said:

So basically we are stuck with what we got?

Unless there’s some attrition, yeah, for now. They took countless OL in the last couple of years and it really blew up the scholarship numbers. Need some of the young guys to grow up.