Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

IUFB Offseason/Transfer Portal News

I think this thread will get some serious run over the next month. To get things started:

Outgoing:

-Tim Baldwin Jr. - RB - UMass

-Da'Shaun Brown - WR

-Larry Tracy III - CB - Illinois State

-Khameron Taylor - TE - Alabama A&M

-Jacolby Hewitt - WR - Florida International

-DK Bonhomme - LB - South Alabama

-CJ Person - DL - South Alabama

-Miles Marshall - WR - Miami (Ohio)

-Jordyn Williams - WR/DB - Jackson State

-Camron Buckley - WR - Jackson State

-Joseph Daniels Jr. - Walk-on DB

-Michael Penix Jr. - QB - Washington

-Shamar Jones - DL - Chattanooga

-Chris Childers - Walk-on RB - San Diego

-Cam Williams - LB

-Davion Ervin-Poindexter - Walk-on RB - Western Kentucky

-Ty Wise - LB - Miami (Ohio)

-Reese Taylor - CB/PR - Purdue

-James Miller - LB - South Alabama

-Zack Merrill - Walk-on QB

-Gavin McCabe - DL

-Jordan Jusevtich - DB - Indiana State

-Matt Bjorson - TE - Miami (OH)

-Luke Lane - Walk-on OL - Chattanooga

-Juwan Burgess - DB - Towson

-Chase Wyatt - P - Ball State

-Brady Feeney - OL - Colgate

-Jonathan King - DL - Alabama A&M

-Maurice Freeman - S/LB - Liberty

-Larry Smith - CB

-Andy Buttrell - Walk-on OL

Incoming:

-Emery Simmons - WR (UNC)

-Bradley Jennings Jr. - LB (Miami)

-LeDarrius Cox - DL (Ole Miss)

-Patrick Lucas - DL (Ole Miss)

-Josh Henderson - RB (UNC)

-Shaun Shivers - RB (Auburn)

-Cameron Camper - WR (Trinity Valley CC)

-JH Tevis - EDGE (Cal)

-Connor Bazelak - QB (Missouri)

-Jared Casey - LB (Kentucky)

-Myles Jackson - LB (UCLA)

-Parker Hanna - OL (West Texas A&M)

-Andison Coby - WR (Tennessee)

-Brylan Lanier - DB (Alabama)

11 minutes ago, MemphisHoosier said:

Well, if we are concerned with accuracy we might as well add the following from earlier in the year as well:

RB Tim Baldwin Jr - 10/4/21

WR Da'Shaun Brown - 10/19/21

CB Larry Tracy III - 10/20/21

TE Khameron Taylor - 11/8/21

https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Football/TransferPortal/?institutionkey=24040

Thanks for this. Had not seen Tracy or Taylor yet. Tracy is unsurprising, he’s probably a better fit at a lower level. 

Throwing doodoo at the wall here...

Miller Kopp's brother Maddox was a 3-star QB and is transferring from Houston. Didn't have much FBS interest coming out of HS, but I wonder if he might emerge as an option for some QB depth depending on what happens with other guys in the QB room. Judging by his recruiting profile, that might be a walk-on situation. 

Edit: On the other hand, they have another brother that plays basketball at Lamar which - geographically and athletically - probably would fit him more.

42 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Throwing doodoo at the wall here...

Miller Kopp's brother Maddox was a 3-star QB and is transferring from Houston. Didn't have much FBS interest coming out of HS, but I wonder if he might emerge as an option for some QB depth depending on what happens with other guys in the QB room. Judging by his recruiting profile, that might be a walk-on situation. 

Edit: On the other hand, they have another brother that plays basketball at Lamar which - geographically and athletically - probably would fit him more.

I wouldn't say he didn't have much FBS interest coming out of high school.  His recruitment after he completed his junior year picked up -- in May and June of 2020 he picked up offers from Central Michigan, Houston, Tulane, Texas State, and Wyoming.  Then in July, it really picked up -- offers from Colorado, Ole Miss, and Miami of Ohio.  His final five were Colorado, Houston, Ole Miss, Tulane, and Wyoming.

Overall, he was the 53rd rated quarterback recruit in the 2021 class.  For comparison, Donovan McCulley was 25th in the 2021 class and Dexter Williams was 34th in the 2020 class, so at the minimum I think he could compete for the job.  Not saying he would take the job over and who knows what is going on with Penix, but he should be in the mix.

1 minute ago, brumdog45 said:

I wouldn't say he didn't have much FBS interest coming out of high school.  His recruitment after he completed his junior year picked up -- in May and June of 2020 he picked up offers from Central Michigan, Houston, Tulane, Texas State, and Wyoming.  Then in July, it really picked up -- offers from Colorado, Ole Miss, and Miami of Ohio.  His final five were Colorado, Houston, Ole Miss, Tulane, and Wyoming.

Overall, he was the 53rd rated quarterback recruit in the 2021 class.  For comparison, Donovan McCulley was 25th in the 2021 class and Dexter Williams was 34th in the 2020 class, so at the minimum I think he could compete for the job.  Not saying he would take the job over and who knows what is going on with Penix, but he should be in the mix.

Interesting. Didn't look at the timeline. I'd venture to guess he's better than Williams in that case. I'm really not sure how Dexter got rated as highly as he did and I wouldn't be shocked to see him hit the portal this winter.

Just now, Hovadipo said:

Interesting. Didn't look at the timeline. I'd venture to guess he's better than Williams in that case. I'm really not sure how Dexter got rated as highly as he did and I wouldn't be shocked to see him hit the portal this winter.

To be fair, Williams was third on the depth chart entering spring practice and was going to get a lot of snaps in the spring to show what he could do as Penix was recovering from an ACL injury......and then Williams tore his ACL as well.

2 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

To be fair, Williams was third on the depth chart entering spring practice and was going to get a lot of snaps in the spring to show what he could do as Penix was recovering from an ACL injury......and then Williams tore his ACL as well.

Which really puts a damper on the one thing he does ok, which is run. He is not a threat through the air.

4 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Which really puts a damper on the one thing he does ok, which is run. He is not a threat through the air.

Yup. I'm thinking that we'll desperately need some depth, but it's McCulley or bust at QB.

15 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Yup. I'm thinking that we'll desperately need some depth, but it's McCulley or bust at QB.

Ohhhh do I have some positivity for you. If we can get through signing day without a de-commit from Josh Hoover, we might just have something coming down the pipe. Kid is a stud. Follow Allen’s Twitter activity and you’ll see how excited the staff is about him. I do believe he’s a Sheridan recruit though, so read into that what you wish. 

12 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Ohhhh do I have some positivity for you. If we can get through signing day without a de-commit from Josh Hoover, we might just have something coming down the pipe. Kid is a stud. Follow Allen’s Twitter activity and you’ll see how excited the staff is about him. I do believe he’s a Sheridan recruit though, so read into that what you wish. 

I saw an article the other day talking about how he’s thrown for like 9k yards during high school in the highest division in Texas.. Not too shabby. I doubt he’ll be ready as a true freshman though so hopefully we can land a quality qb in the portal. I’m not sold on McCulley. 

7 hours ago, Hovadipo said:

I figured he would eventually get moved to halfback or receiver.  That said, I think coming back from an ACL is easier to do than it was before.  Think it’s more about the player trusting his leg than it holding up.

I’m guessing position coach meetings will be starting just about as soon as possible, so this should start picking up maybe as soon as tomorrow. Need to start getting transfer targets scheduled for official visits between now and early signing day. It’s going to get hectic.