Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iu eyedoc

Things to like about this team so far:

TJD is TJD

Race Thompson has taken it to the next level.

JG looks like he could develop into an VO or OG type monster.

Bates quickly showing that he will influence the season.

XJ is a real PG that IU has lacked for since...

Kopp seems to be getting more comfortable

Things to not like so far:

Continuing to leave 4-6 points at the FT line vs just being average. It will bite this team in the @$$ eventually.

No depth behind XJ at PG

On that same note, Rob P. I just don't get it with him, as a freshman he looked so promising and has regressed since. He is like the Benjamin Buttons of college basketball careers.

On that same note, part 2. KL not seizing the opportunity presented 

TO' s still are a problem.

What you got?

10 minutes ago, Indiana muskie said:

I think Lander did fine . Yes quick fouls but pushed the ball, didn't fall down and looked much better

I thought Lander did well too. He committed 0 turnovers and didn’t stand around pounding the ball into the ground. He went from not playing at all against EMU to playing crunch time minutes against a solid team, and he did just fine. One bad defensive possession where he picked up back to back fouls.

We need a backup point guard because Xavier isn’t going to play 40 minutes a game. Phinisee is just as bad on offense as he was last year. He can’t score, and he can’t create for others. The offense sputters when he’s out there. He’s been the same player for years now, and he makes freshman mistakes as a senior. I’d rather Lander get those minutes in the non conference in the hope that he will be ready to fill that role come conference play.

Hes going to be a great college basketball player one day. I just hope that he sticks with IU and we don’t have to watch him succeed somewhere else. 

I thought Lander was a positive last night. He was able to break the press on his own and didn't panic. His minutes were in the most clutch time as the game had gotten close and looked like St. Johns might take the lead. I would like to see him get more run this noncon to continually build his confidence. Maybe he could become the primary backup by the years end and that would be ideal for this team imo.

Rob's defense is sensational. His offense is definitely not. I would be okay with him playing the off-guard off the bench. But as the PG he just dribbles too much and the offense is stagnant. He is what he is.

I could see Lander moving ahead of Rob soon.  The fact that he flirts with 10 second violations at the start of so many possessions, even when there is no pressure, is a momentum killer IMHO.  

Rob needs to play more naturally. He’s a robot out there. Hitting 2 threes a game would help him. Misses too many chances. Needs to get hot early.

If I remember correctly I really wanted Akinjo over Rob that season. Akinjo has that dawg in him. Rob ain’t got that dawg in him but he defends very well and seems like an awesome dude and teammate.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Rob needs to play more naturally. He’s a robot out there. Hitting 2 threes a game would help him. Misses too many chances. Needs to get hot early.

If I remember correctly I really wanted Akinjo over Rob that season. Akinjo has that dawg in him. Rob ain’t got that dawg in him but he defends very well and seems like an awesome dude and teammate.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Appears that Rob still plays offense as if Archie still is the coach.

2 minutes ago, Josh said:

Intensity.  I really like the intensity.  3-0.  I really like that too.

But those dang free throws man.  Gotta get better at that.  How do we?  I know we practice them, but we're so dang bad at them.  How do you improve that?  Any thoughts?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/08/sports/ncaabasketball/underhand-free-throw-rick-barry.html

I like/love that I have hope again that we can be good. I like the more free flowing play. Sets mixed in here and there. Last night was really fun. We aren’t great but we have a lot of guys with potential. Fun watching the guys have fun. The vibe.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

7 minutes ago, Josh said:

But those dang free throws man.  Gotta get better at that.  How do we?  I know we practice them, but we're so dang bad at them.  How do you improve that?  Any thoughts?

XIEy.gif

4 minutes ago, Josh said:

Shoot at least 100 per day and chart. 2 at a time and then alternate. When you miss, run a sprint and back to the line; best to shoot a little winded like in game. Shooters are not born, they are made. 

Besides, Rick Barry, I don't have anything else. 

26 minutes ago, Rico said:

Appears that Rob still plays offense as if Archie still is the coach.

I know it’s easy to put the blame on Archie in this situation, but I’m not so sure that Archie is the reason Phinisee plays the way he does. Archie would regularly yell at Rob to hurry up and move faster, but Rob would still walk it up the court.