Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan2017

2021/2022 Men’s Basketball Season

I do apologize for the number on f consecutive posts (I am on a long car trip right now and am bored), but defensive metrics are still much in their infancy.  The two true defensive measurable stats — blocks and steals — aren’t the best measures ( guys who gamble on passing lanes will get more steals).  Points scored against when a player is on the court are subject to small sample size/game situation/inability to measure an individual player’s actual contribution.  Are there stats that would be better measures (ie, players ability to deny passes, etc)?  Probably yes, but simply put they are not widely available.

Deflections bro, all about deflections.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

4 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

Any guesses who? I'm guessing Leal or maybe Bates

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Based on CMW's comments last week during his radio show and what transpired in the game on Saturday I would assume Leal.  But it's a great question....

11 minutes ago, MemphisHoosier said:

Based on CMW's comments last week during his radio show and what transpired in the game on Saturday I would assume Leal.  But it's a great question....

It could be Leal but I’ve heard that Bates puts a lot of extra time in the gym.

1 hour ago, MemphisHoosier said:

Don’t think it’s one player - he says there is always a player shooting after practice and “every guy” he’s seen do it has had it pay off.

21 minutes ago, Pudman said:

Perhaps this might be a good thread to add this to, or perhaps not. I'll let the mods decide.

I got curious the other day about where the players have been taking their shots on the court. My curiosity was sparked when someone was chatting about where PS tends to take his shots, and how he rarely, if ever, drives. So, I found a dataset on Sportsradar that has play-by-play data for every game any includes x/y coordinates. Using that dataset, I put together this dashboard of player shot selection, type, and where the shots are taken on the court. 

Let me know what you all think! https://public.tableau.com/views/IUMBB20212022ShotChart/Dashboard1?:language=en-US&:display_count=n&:origin=viz_share_link

I thought it would be fun to put this together, since winter break between semesters is long and I need something to do. Plus, it could be fun to have my students create this in a data viz class I teach.

Oh wow—THIS IS SO GOOD!!

STRONGLY recommend that people click this link and take a good look.

In the first few looks I saw—Durr (as a righty) can’t go left.

Lander (as a lefty) has only hit shots on the right side of the court (odd)

Thanks, Stuhoo. It’s only as good as the data, which was quite messy and required a lot of cleaning. So there could be some errors, of course. I am going to think about the whole righty/lefty thing and whether it is accurately represented in this viz, because it might not be. 

The x/y coordinates were plotted for the full court, so I did some cleaning to make it represent only half court. With that in mind, i think it might be incorrect to interpret it the way that you are. That’s why I asked for feedback :) I’ll play around with it some at a later date, but I was supposed to clean up the garage this morning, so I better get to that.

3 minutes ago, Pudman said:

Thanks, Stuhoo. It’s only as good as the data, which was quite messy and required a lot of cleaning. So there could be some errors, of course. I am going to think about the whole righty/lefty thing and whether it is accurately represented in this viz, because it might not be. 

The x/y coordinates were plotted for the full court, so I did some cleaning to make it represent only half court. With that in mind, i think it might be incorrect to interpret it the way that you are. That’s why I asked for feedback :) I’ll play around with it some at a later date, but I was supposed to clean up the garage this morning, so I better get to that.

It should not be taken for granted the collective talents of our on-line community.

Since you implied it, I’ll add that IU is the place for students to get a chance to analyze basketball data points for class assignments!

28 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

It should not be taken for granted the collective talents of our on-line community.

Since you implied it, I’ll add that IU is the place for students to get a chance to analyze basketball data points for class assignments!

I've fixed it. It should be more reflective of their actual shots in a half-court setting. Thanks for pointing this out!

Edited by Pudman

IU is now up to #5 in the B10 power rankings.  The last time we were in the top 5 was probably the Zeller, Yogi, VO team, but there maybe another team I overlooked.  I just know this is an area we haven’t seen for awhile.

GO HOOSIERS!!!

30 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

IU is now up to #5 in the B10 power rankings.  The last time we were in the top 5 was probably the Zeller, Yogi, VO team, but there maybe another team I overlooked.  I just know this is an area we haven’t seen for awhile.

GO HOOSIERS!!!

57BE608C-674A-4D41-885A-BCAC7B758971.gif

89E09775-2542-4634-8B34-1A6B4D5545E6.gif

E00CD238-19D7-45E9-92CB-37D5D62B894A.gif

33 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

GO HOOSIERS!!!

2016 won the big ten

I mentioned this in another thread, but you can sign up for a free trial at cbbanalytics.com and it will remain free as long as you don't change the default team more than five times.  Allows you to see total analytics on a team.  Incredibly good stuff there -- shot charts for players, how the team performs with a player on the court compared to off, etc.

Since anyone is free to sign up and use IU as their default, I don't feel bad about posting some IU stats here.  

One very interesting stats:  Net difference.  Basically, the average player on the team (measured by the team playing the same whether the player is on or off the court) is 0.  If the team plays better when he is on the court, he'll have a positive value;  worse, he'll have a negative.  

Individual scores -- some surprises:

Xavier Johnson +23.1

Race Thompson +15.2

Trayce Jackson Davis +11.0

Trey Galloway +8.9

Tamar Bates -1.2

Miller Kopp -7.3

Parker Stewart -7.5

Anthony Leal -7.5

Rob Phinisee -8.0

Jordan Geronimo -8.2

Khristain Lander -10.3

Michael Durr -16

Some food for thought:  part of the reason X is so high is that he's simply that much better than who we replace him with.  Part of the reason Geronimo is so low is that if he comes in, that means either Race or TJD is on the bench.

8 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

I mentioned this in another thread, but you can sign up for a free trial at cbbanalytics.com and it will remain free as long as you don't change the default team more than five times.  Allows you to see total analytics on a team.  Incredibly good stuff there -- shot charts for players, how the team performs with a player on the court compared to off, etc.

Since anyone is free to sign up and use IU as their default, I don't feel bad about posting some IU stats here.  

One very interesting stats:  Net difference.  Basically, the average player on the team (measured by the team playing the same whether the player is on or off the court) is 0.  If the team plays better when he is on the court, he'll have a positive value;  worse, he'll have a negative.  

Individual scores -- some surprises:

Xavier Johnson +23.1

Race Thompson +15.2

Trayce Jackson Davis +11.0

Trey Galloway +8.9

Tamar Bates -1.2

Miller Kopp -7.3

Parker Stewart -7.5

Anthony Leal -7.5

Rob Phinisee -8.0

Jordan Geronimo -8.2

Khristain Lander -10.3

Michael Durr -16

Some food for thought:  part of the reason X is so high is that he's simply that much better than who we replace him with.  Part of the reason Geronimo is so low is that if he comes in, that means either Race or TJD is on the bench.

By that our best lineup is TJD, Race, X, Gallo, and Bates

On 12/31/2021 at 12:04 PM, Pudman said:

Perhaps this might be a good thread to add this to, or perhaps not. I'll let the mods decide.

I got curious the other day about where the players have been taking their shots on the court. My curiosity was sparked when someone was chatting about where PS tends to take his shots, and how he rarely, if ever, drives. So, I found a dataset on Sportsradar that has play-by-play data for every game any includes x/y coordinates. Using that dataset, I put together this dashboard of player shot selection, type, and where the shots are taken on the court. 

Let me know what you all think! https://public.tableau.com/views/IUMBB20212022ShotChart/Dashboard1?:language=en-US&:display_count=n&:origin=viz_share_link

I thought it would be fun to put this together, since winter break between semesters is long and I need something to do. Plus, it could be fun to have my students create this in a data viz class I teach.

I finally saw this and it is tremendous.  Would like to see Race here vs Race current.  Big difference