Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Game Thread: vs. St. John’s - 9:12 - FS1

18 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

Bardo is a @$$ also. That is all

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I don’t get Bardo’s takes last night.
He is generally fairly boring but at least has not previously been anti-IU, respected our tradition/fans and the IU teams he played against “back in the day”.  
Last night it almost seemed as though a producer called him an IU homer so he went way to the other side of the continuum.  

2 hours ago, IUc2016 said:

https://purdue.forums.rivals.com/threads/i-cant-be-the-only-one-thinking-it.219089/

SMDH. the first 4 threads on their site are about IU. why oh why did I venture over there

Looked at them.  You would think that having a team that could the title would keep them occupied, but apparently not.  Loved the nuggets about how Caleb Furst > TJD.

On 11/17/2021 at 8:29 AM, Stuhoo said:

Tip-off is scheduled for 9 p.m. on FS1 with Kevin Kugler and Stephen Bardo on the call.

Oh lord, we're either gonna hear how Phinisee still needs a hug, or doesn't need one anymore.

Bardo is the Gary Barta of broadcasters.

Bump

15 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

I don’t get Bardo’s takes last night.
He is generally fairly boring but at least has not previously been anti-IU, respected our tradition/fans and the IU teams he played against “back in the day”.  
Last night it almost seemed as though a producer called him an IU homer so he went way to the other side of the continuum.  

He's always been pretty anti-IU.  His 'back in the day' comments are tinged with 'IU isn't as good now'.

My favorite moments were when he kept referring to Woodson as Mike Davis.
I thought it was Mike Anderson he was referring to. One time they were showing STJ's huddle and he kept saying Mike Davis. Either way it was idiotic

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, IUFAN1976 said:

We definitely need to work on our FT shooting but I think our 3 point shooting is slightly getting better and it will continue to get better.  I know the D has improved and the effort level.  Are there still holes in this team, yes but all those can still improve.  Give it about 8 games and see where we are, then evaluate this team and staff.

I tend to agree. It's purely subjective but I recall a couple of Rob's and one of Kopp's 3's being right there but not going down. So it's not as if they are just hoisting up bricks. I know a good-looking miss doesn't count, but seems they will fall eventually. 

2 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

It's not, but when he is saying it, it typically has nothing to do with the point he's talking about.

I know…I was just joking about our previous ineptitude. Jacked about this season and the future.

10 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Anyone else think our offense was noticeably worse with Phin at PG? Seems like he's still in the Archieball mindset of dribbling the air out of the ball and limited movement. Hoping XJ limits his foul trouble this season.

Yes too much dribbling.  Lander got min in the second half.  

9 hours ago, Stromboli said:

I’ll say, the grumbling about Archie’s offense came early. It was just clear that it didn’t work, even when we’d win. Most of us chose patience and a tempered approach. 

I think the point right now is that we’re doing extraordinarily well given the circumstances. Stevens, Oates, Billy, whoever wasn’t coming and maybe wouldn’t have been able to accomplish what this staff has at this point. Overhauled roster and some very good recruiting in a few months. New defense that works better and without idiotic lines like “it takes 3 years to install.” Shooters have been added, working within the roster limitations. An insane staff including Matta and Fife. Retention of major assets like TJD and Race and Geronimo. And maybe most importantly a new fiery, upbeat feel to the team. 

At this juncture, I just don’t think you can point to many areas where it could be going better. Give some time to see the changes and check the trajectory. We’re no world beaters. We’re probably not going to the Final Four. We shoot 53% from FT in a game we won. Ok so we work on it. 

We will lose games! Duh. We’re not undefeatable yet. But no one has been since 1976. I’m not going to compare this team to that team or Gonzaga or Michigan (who just lost) yet. I’ll check how we’ve done since we fired Archie. It’s a great trajectory. AND I’ll cheer for my team because I’m a fan. Seeing areas for improvement is fine. But I can’t understand getting a win like last night and not just sitting in the enjoyment of it.

Several players are noticeably better this year.  TJD, Race and Geranimo to start.  Add in some of the new guys you don’t have Archie baggage like Bates, Kopp, XJ.  Magic 8 ball says “ outlook good.”