Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUMS @ Penn State - 11/14/21 @ Noon on BTN

Temperatures will be in the upper 30's, possibly a few light snow showers for the start, winds 7-10 mph SSW

Hoosiers Return to Happy Valley for Title Bout

Indiana men's soccer (14-4-1, 5-3-0 B1G) will try for its 16th Big Ten Tournament title as it visits Penn State (12-6-1, 6-2-0 B1G) in the championship match Sunday (Nov. 14) at noon ET on Jeffrey Field in University Park, Pennsylvania.

The match will be aired live on Big Ten Network with Dean Linke and Patrick Doody on the call. Live stats are available at         http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=378429&fbclid=IwAR1psSJGYjF-5nleuf_q0A0wIk0LKDfGUF0iIdlTKiRn5u-58YMA_me4o4g

SETTING THE SCENE
• Indiana is appearing in its fifth straight Big Ten Tournament final while aiming for its fourth straight trophy.
• Sunday's contest is a rematch of the 2020-21 final in which Indiana won via penalty shootout (3-2).
• The two teams met at Jeffrey Field earlier this season on October 17 when IU swiped a 1-0 victory after a defensive battle. The lone goal came when Nyk Sessock's 75th minute cross was diverted by a Nittany Lion into his own goal.

ABOUT THE NITTANY LIONS
• Penn State is led by fourth-year head coach Jeff Cook. He has compiled a record of 39-21-8 during his time with the Nittany Lions.
• The Nittany Lions captured the Big Ten regular season title, collecting 18 points (6-2-0) to top the table.
• Junior midfielder Andrew Privett leads Penn State with nine goals, and sophomore forward Peter Mangione has scored seven times. Senior midfielder Seth Kuhn has contributed a team-high seven assists, while Senior forward Danny Bloyou has six.
• Kris Shakes has seen the most time in goal for PSU, starting in 16 of 19 matches. Shakes holds an 11-5-0 record and has allowed 15 goals while making 56 saves.

SERIES HISTORY
• Indiana has seen great success in the all-time series with Penn State, owning a 35-14-5 record against the Nittany Lions.
• Including ties broken by penalty kicks, IU has won the last seven matchups between the two programs dating back to 2016.
• IU owns an 11-4-4 record against Penn State in Big Ten Tournament matches and has won all four penalty shootouts.
• Current Hoosiers Spencer Glass (2) and Victor Bezerra (1) have scored against Penn State in their careers.

DOMINANT DEFENSE
• The Indiana defense has posted 12 total shutouts this season, including a streak of seven straight clean sheets in October, the second-longest single-season shutout streak in program history. During that stretch, the Hoosiers did not concede a goal in 725 consecutive minutes of play.
• The Hoosiers shut out their first two opponents in the tournament, Rutgers (1-0) and Northwestern (1-0), and have recorded a clean sheet in nine of their last 10 matches. After opening Big Ten Conference play with a 2-1 defeat to Rutgers on September 17, the Hoosiers have conceded just five goals in 13 matches.
• Junior Roman Celentano is the first-ever two-time Big Ten Goalkeeper of the Year, earning the award in back-to-back seasons. His career-high 10 shutouts rank No. 2 nationally.
• Junior Daniel Munie is the fourth Hoosier in the last five seasons to earn the Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year Award, following Grant Lillard (2017), Andrew Gutman (2018) and Jack Maher (2019).

PSU is an example of where RPI has it's limits. Nittany Lions in 20's but absolutely a top 10-15 team and deserve a top 16 seed (along with IU) if they win today.

My eyes tell me Akron, Maryland, PSU and Notre Dame operate on a different level than IU's other opponents as top 10-15 teams and on par with Hoosiers despite RPI's that are lower. 

No expert here...but the 5 or so games that I have watched...IU's passing has not looked as good as that of the opponents.  Control of the game usually isn't by IU.  

Here, PSU seems to be able to check IU's every opportunity.  Not only that but their ball placement seems a lot more in favor of leading the offense by a step or two.

No expert here...but the 5 or so games that I have watched...IU's passing has not looked as good as that of the opponents.  Control of the game usually isn't by IU.  
Here, PSU seems to be able to check IU's every opportunity.  Not only that but their ball placement seems a lot more in favor of leading the offense by a step or two.

I tend to agree. We rarely control the play. It’s an odd phenomenon considering our talent. We never score on corners. Kind of a bummer. Still enjoy watching them play but lacking in domination.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

People need to clam down.

This is not the year we expected, but it is still a solid one that was rescued from the abyss early in the season. Yes they will be a top 16 seed (RPI 13) when bracket is revealed tomorrow. Very likely traveling for Sweet 16 and Elite 8 unless there is an upset, but decent chance we are back at Notre Dame for Sweet 16 in 4-13 game (which is the one top team we have beaten and ND is known for flaming out sometimes).

A Sweet 16 appearence while not perfect is still a decent season. I wish it was better, but after how things started team deserves a lot of credit for making something out of this.

This team has its limits offensively, and every time we go up against a top attack (Maryland, PSU, Michigan, Akron, even ND win) we have issues on backline, but in a one game scenario we have the talent to do this. As I said RPI has its limits and whoever is facing PSU in NCAA Tourney is in trouble as that attack is probably one of the top 5 most dangerous in country with four legit scorers in Blowyou, Butts, Mangione and Kuhn. 

My only complaint is Bezerra looks like he would rather not be here at times and has not had the season you would hope which is why we are pretty good and not Elite. Celentano has been top notch again in goal and Sarver and Mihalic have had terrific freshmen seasons. Munie has struggled at times on D but nothing horrible. The major difference this year is Bezerra's flame out and I have no idea what has happened there. Everyone else has been as good or better than I would expect. 

4 minutes ago, Aaron said:

People need to clam down.

This is not the year we expected, but it is still a solid one that was rescued from the abyss early in the season. Yes they will be a top 16 seed (RPI 13) when bracket is revealed tomorrow. Very likely traveling for Sweet 16 and Elite 8 unless there is an upset, but decent chance we are back at Notre Dame for Sweet 16 in 4-13 game (which is the one top team we have beaten and ND is known for flaming out sometimes).

A Sweet 16 appearence while not perfect is still a decent season. I wish it was better, but after how things started team deserves a lot of credit for making something out of this.

This team has its limits offensively, and every time we go up against a top attack (Maryland, PSU, Michigan, Akron, even ND win) we have issues on backline, but in a one game scenario we have the talent to do this. As I said RPI has its limits and whoever is facing PSU in NCAA Tourney is in trouble as that attack is probably one of the top 5 most dangerous in country with four legit scorers in Blowyou, Butts, Mangione and Kuhn. 

My only complaint is Bezerra looks like he would rather not be here at times and has not had the season you would hope which is why we are pretty good and not Elite. Celentano has been top notch again in goal and Sarver and Mihalic have had terrific freshmen seasons. Munie has struggled at times on D but nothing horrible. The major difference this year is Bezerra's flame out and I have no idea what has happened there. Everyone else has been as good or better than I would expect. 

The guy that won big ten defensive player of the year has struggled at times? I haven’t watched so wouldn’t know but seems counterintuitive.

Just now, HoosierX said:

The guy that won big ten defensive player of the year has struggled at times?

Yes he has. He has been mostly good as I said, but there were times (mostly early) where he had some unexplainable slip ups on D. It was much better during Big Ten play which is why he won the award as that as only conference games. Early in non-conference season though he had a few hiccups. 

Along with most of team (except Bezerra) he got much better as season went on.