Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Iufan71

What affect will NIL have on recruiting going forward?

It was said during the UK game last night that they had 180.NIL.deals before the first basketball game was played this season. Is there a cap on money an athlete can earn from an NIL deals?

9 hours ago, Iufan71 said:

It was said during the UK game last night that they had 180.NIL.deals before the first basketball game was played this season. Is there a cap on money an athlete can earn from an NIL deals?

I do not believe there is any current limit on nil earnings.

9 hours ago, Iufan71 said:

No cap and yes, it will be a big deal in regards to recruiting. There will be programs in which an incoming freshman will virtually be assured of making 6 figures their freshman year. That will undoubtedly turn a lot of heads and/or impact commitment decisions.

We aren’t going to.  We literally were at the forefront 6 months ago and have already been lapped. 

Yep, we had our chance to set up programs/methods to be top 5 recruiting program.

It seems to me we like being in that 15-25 crowd. You can win from there for sure.

Let’s see if we can. But even if we can get 15-25 results on the court I’ll take it over the S-Show we’ve experienced for 30 years.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

11 hours ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

I do not believe there is any current limit on nil earnings.

10 hours ago, IUFAN1976 said:

The NCAA needs to put some type guidelines or cap.  This thing can get way out of hand, it will definitely influence recruiting!

I think a cap is out of the question. That would get overturned in court so fast it would have the NCAA leadership's heads spinning. I believe the ruling by SCOTUS made that a nonstarter. They said something to the effect that the NCAA couldn't limit athletes ability to earn from NIL.

2 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

We aren’t going to.  We literally were at the forefront 6 months ago and have already been lapped. 

Eh, honestly I always felt that IU being at the forefront and leading the pack was a stretch that was sold to us but wasn’t really accurate. We’re coming off a 12-15 season, and we haven’t made the tournament since 2016. Our team is TJD + a bunch of dudes. At present we were never going to compete against schools with national reach like Duke/UK. 

24 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Eh, honestly I always felt that IU being at the forefront and leading the pack was a stretch that was sold to us but wasn’t really accurate. We’re coming off a 12-15 season, and we haven’t made the tournament since 2016. Our team is TJD + a bunch of dudes. At present we were never going to compete against schools with national reach like Duke/UK. 

Weren’t we the first school in the country to set up a group to help kids with NLIs.  

3 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

IU was at the forefront of compliance. That's it. We are so far behind other programs it's depressing. I'm not asking to be Duke or Kentucky. How about we keep up with Ohio State or Michigan? I cannot believe there's no replacement for TJD other than wishing for a miracle from the portal. 

57 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Weren’t we the first school in the country to set up a group to help kids with NLIs.  

That’s how it was reported, but at the time I honestly didn’t really buy into IU being this big NIL trailblazer. Even if we were first, other schools were going to do the same thing that we did, and you still have to find people willing to partner with our players. We have TJD and that’s about it. The big time programs already had these partnerships in the past. It was just under the table. IU doesn’t have any of that, so we were at a distinct disadvantage. If we succeed on the court we should do better in the NIL department because we have a huge fanbase. 

59 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Or was IU the first to publicly announce it? 

I do know there were some pretty major college athletic departments scrambling to figure out what the hell was going on when IU already had its NIL program in place. But that didn’t really matter because, while IU takes For. Ever. to get anything done so as to not hurt anyone’s feelings or get in trouble, other big time programs can get a plan like that in place in a matter of a couple months. 

So, I really do think we were first or close to it with a real NIL plan, most other places were just weeks behind. 

Being first or 50th to join the NIL race is meaningless vs being a program that has big pocketed boosters/companies willing to pay the players for appearances, commercials, podcasts etc.

As an example Oregons recruiting could/will blow up if Phil Knight is able to funnel a ton of money to recruits via Nike ads/endorsements/appearances.

To answer the original question, YES, NIL is already becoming a key decision factor for kids and will become even more so.

if a kid is torn between IU and Kentucky and Kentucky can show that on average their kids each make $300k a year and on average at IU each player makes $25k…. That makes the decision a lot easier for that kid and their family.

I made up those numbers but this becomes more of a business decision than it ever was before because the numbers can be talked about openly

1 hour ago, DChoosier said:

Being first or 50th to join the NIL race is meaningless vs being a program that has big pocketed boosters/companies willing to pay the players for appearances, commercials, podcasts etc.

As an example Oregons recruiting could/will blow up if Phil Knight is able to funnel a ton of money to recruits via Nike ads/endorsements/appearances.

We have those boosters. I am sure our administration is knee capping their efforts in some way or another 

To answer the original question, YES, NIL is already becoming a key decision factor for kids and will become even more so.
if a kid is torn between IU and Kentucky and Kentucky can show that on average their kids each make $300k a year and on average at IU each player makes $25k…. That makes the decision a lot easier for that kid and their family.
I made up those numbers but this becomes more of a business decision than it ever was before because the numbers can be talked about openly

I’m not sure much has changed at all. Except what was illegal, is now legal and can be discussed. The top recruiting schools have been doing things forever in the shadows. Virtually all 5 stars and many 4star top 100 kids have been given the treatment for years. Let’s see if we see ANY shift in the ladder on who is getting the TOP 25 kids and even the top 100 kids. My guess, is not really.

The change to me is the 3 star kids and the low end 4s will see some change that they otherwise wouldn’t have and the ceiling kids were getting has been raised.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

2 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

We have those boosters. I am sure our administration is knee capping their efforts in some way or another 

I really hope you are wrong. If as an example some booster wanted his company to give 5 different kids 10k for ads, and our administration “knee-capped their effort”, it would be disastrous if that became open knowledge.

I just can’t imagine why the administration would hinder boosters providing legal benefits but maybe you know something I don’t.

8 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Yes. The difference is IU was setting up NIL things for Indiana University student athletes. not Football and Men's Basketball.

We were the 1st to have an NIL directory with contact info for players to be contacted regarding NIL deals.

Those who have had a hand in the most cheating, will benefit FIRST, from NIL deals, but the rest will catch up and Indiana will be able to hype attractive incomes to recruits.

Who knows if NIL has played any factor in our recruiting thus far? JHS and Jakai didn't seem to worry.