Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan2017

Where does IU Football go from here

This season is over. The only thing keeping my interest is seeing whether we win one of our remaining games. Right now we’re one of three P5 teams without a P5 win. Sheridan and Hiller both need to be gone. We need upgrades at basically every position. What can we reasonably do to get back to a bowl game next year? 

10 minutes ago, landrus13 said:

Need a new offensive system. New OC. I think IU should just stick with McCulley. The defense has played pretty well at times. Usually getting left for dead by the offense. The lackluster offense has killed this team. 

Offense is ranked 12th and defense dead last in conference.

This roster lacks talent and it should with 11-12 ranked recruiting classes in conference. Try to hold incoming recruits should be a priority. Not sure we can pull enough quality transfers to solve many issues.  We are the worst team in the conference though I still think we can beat Rutgers. I think we are looking at a couple year bowl drought and probably the end of the CTA era.

27 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

I think we are looking at a couple year bowl drought and probably the end of the CTA era.

I don't think I would go that far.

There’s really only three things and they’ve all been said already:

1) New OC

2) New O-line coach

3) It’s time to move on from both Penix and Tuttle and let McCauley be first string, unless a big time transfer comes in. Penix’s health cannot be counted on. If he wants to stay around the program as a rotational backup that’s his choice (he won’t), but it’s no longer his team. Tuttle had a nice win over Wisconsin last year, but he’s the definition of a game manager QB and is good for 14 points a game, at best. 

With the new transfer portal, IU will never be as lacking in talent as we have been in the past, even following down years. There are too many talented backups at other P5 programs that want to start for us to ever go back to having a secondary comprised of our baseball team ala the Bill Lynch era. 

This year has sucked, but overall we haven’t been that far out considering our lack of offense. With a competent playcaller and productive QB we win the Cincy, MSU, and Maryland games and would very likely win at least two of the next three. That’s a 7-8 win season which is what most were honestly expecting coming into the year under the assumption of a healthy and productive Penix. 

I can’t get on board with the notion this program has completely reset because of this year. Down years happen to all teams, and when a down year happens to (at best) middle of the road teams, they only win 2-4 games…Even if Allen is going to be the long term answer with this team, there will be more years like this. Just look at Northwestern. Some years they win 8-10 games, others they win 3-5. At second level programs like ours the margin between success and failure is just more precarious given the lack of overall talent.

Tom Allen’s ability to recruit and motivate a defense is worth its weight in gold at a program like ours. But we need to open up the checkbook and really sure up the offensive side of the ball. 

8 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

This season is over. The only thing keeping my interest is seeing whether we win one of our remaining games. Right now we’re one of three P5 teams without a P5 win. Sheridan and Hiller both need to be gone. We need upgrades at basically every position. What can we reasonably do to get back to a bowl game next year? 

Hope McCulley is the QB of the future.

Hope the 3 freshman WR and Cooper in this year's class can upgrade that position.

We have to find some OL in the portal

Have to find an OC and OL coach that will be creative.

We have to reload the RB position.

Hope guys like Mullen and McFadden comes back next year.

First thing that needs to happen after the season....

Allen needs to bring in Nick Sheridan and fire him. 

Allen needs to bring in Darren Hiller and fire him.

Allen needs to bring in  Grant Heard(Co-OC/WRs) and fire him. 

Allen needs to bring in Brandon Shelby(CBs) and fire him. 

Allen needs to bring in Jason Jones(Safeties) and fire him. 

Allen needs to bring in Kevin Peoples(DL) and fire him. 

Allen needs to bring in Kasey Teegardin (ST) and fire him. 

Allen needs to bring in Charlton Warren and fire him. 

Right now, the only assistants worth anything are DeLand McCullough because of his kids and Kevin Wright, the tightends coach. This staff is an absolute embarrassment and the worst in the Big Ten. 

13 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Hope McCulley is the QB of the future.

Hope the 3 freshman WR and Cooper in this year's class can upgrade that position.

We have to find some OL in the portal

Have to find an OC and OL coach that will be creative.

We have to reload the RB position.

Hope guys like Mullen and McFadden comes back next year.

That’s a lot of hoping for a program that returned the majority of its starters and was supposedly in good shape.

2 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Right now, the only assistants worth anything are DeLand McCullough because of his kids and Kevin Wright, the tightends coach. This staff is an absolute embarrassment and the worst in the Big Ten. 

Allen needs to bring in Rico(water boy) and hire him.

3 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

The sad thing and scary thing is we have a coach who preaches loyality. I'm wondering if he will fire anyone this offseason. 

5 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

He has sealed his own fate at that point. Time to look for another head coach if that's the case. 

But he that 30 million dollar buyout that will only get smaller over the years

26 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

The sad thing and scary thing is we have a coach who preaches loyality. I'm wondering if he will fire anyone this offseason. 

He also preaches accountability. I’m not so sure on this loyalty stuff. But we’ll definitely see where he stands on that in about a month. 

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

I think Allen is almost forced to hire a new OC after this disaster of a season but I wouldn’t be surprised to see everyone back.

24 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Screenshot_20211108-184159_Twitter.jpg

Honestly different situation. Tweet says huskers have two games remaining, but it might as well say Scott frost has two games remaining. 

tom will do what needs to be done when the time comes. 

5 hours ago, IUc2016 said:

Honestly different situation. Tweet says huskers have two games remaining, but it might as well say Scott frost has two games remaining. 

tom will do what needs to be done when the time comes. 

Frost got his contract restructured and will be back next year.

On 11/7/2021 at 3:40 PM, Magnanimous said:

There’s really only three things and they’ve all been said already:

1) New OC

2) New O-line coach

3) It’s time to move on from both Penix and Tuttle and let McCauley be first string, unless a big time transfer comes in. Penix’s health cannot be counted on. If he wants to stay around the program as a rotational backup that’s his choice (he won’t), but it’s no longer his team. Tuttle had a nice win over Wisconsin last year, but he’s the definition of a game manager QB and is good for 14 points a game, at best. 

With the new transfer portal, IU will never be as lacking in talent as we have been in the past, even following down years. There are too many talented backups at other P5 programs that want to start for us to ever go back to having a secondary comprised of our baseball team ala the Bill Lynch era. 

This year has sucked, but overall we haven’t been that far out considering our lack of offense. With a competent playcaller and productive QB we win the Cincy, MSU, and Maryland games and would very likely win at least two of the next three. That’s a 7-8 win season which is what most were honestly expecting coming into the year under the assumption of a healthy and productive Penix. 

I can’t get on board with the notion this program has completely reset because of this year. Down years happen to all teams, and when a down year happens to (at best) middle of the road teams, they only win 2-4 games…Even if Allen is going to be the long term answer with this team, there will be more years like this. Just look at Northwestern. Some years they win 8-10 games, others they win 3-5. At second level programs like ours the margin between success and failure is just more precarious given the lack of overall talent.

Tom Allen’s ability to recruit and motivate a defense is worth its weight in gold at a program like ours. But we need to open up the checkbook and really sure up the offensive side of the ball. 

Overall I agree with what you're saying here. However, I don't think competent play calling would help. That front 5 is the reason we're seeing no production from the QB and RBs. Which you pretty much covered in point number two.  I would add a new strength/conditioning coach to this list because this team hasn't developed like I've seen in the past.