Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan2017

Where does IU Football go from here

4 minutes ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

Let’s see you run an offense with a rusty QB then a backup QB then a true freshQB with zero reps. I’m not saying he’s done a good job but under the circumstances and with Hiller being this inept, I can see Allen giving him a one year pass….but maybe you, who’s never played the game, been armchair QBing you’re entire life has the answer? Go ahead, give it to me….

I'm certainly not a mod, but I'd vote a hearty thumbs down on the you "never played the game" or you've "been armchair QBing your're entire life" bit here. Really no place for it, IMO.

We're pretty much all armchair QBs, aren't we? And you needn't have played football to have an opinion.

We're all fans -- which is kind of the point of this site. 

6 minutes ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

Let’s see you run an offense with a rusty QB then a backup QB then a true freshQB with zero reps. I’m not saying he’s done a good job but under the circumstances and with Hiller being this inept, I can see Allen giving him a one year pass….but maybe you, who’s never played the game, been armchair QBing you’re entire life has the answer? Go ahead, give it to me….

We scored 6 points against Iowa, 0 against PSU, 15 against MSU, 7 against OSU, 7 against UM, 3 against Rutgers. That’s 38 points across 6 games. Take out the MSU game and it’s 23 points across 5 games.

I don’t care who your QBs are that’s atrocious. Plus the play calling has been unimaginative and predictable. I do have the answer, fire Sheridan.

22 minutes ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

You don’t need extensive D1 experience to realize that Sheridan’s third down QB draw plays never work. I don’t know how anyone could watch him this season and see him as anything other than utterly incompetent. 

10 minutes ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

If you can't do better than this, you really shouldn't post.   This above is garbage.   

Nobody has to have played or coached to plainly see something is very wrong with this program.   Indiana has fallen straight off a cliff and the offense has been abysmal all season.  The backup QB was the starter at Utah and the 3rd string guy was a very solid HS quarterback who came in 2nd place for Indiana Mr. Football while completing 70% of his passes in by far the best conference in this state.  There is no excuse for their being as hamstrung as they have been, nor as ill prepared as it seemed Tuttle was.

There are several people here fully capable of having a more than intelligent, high level football conversation on this matter and others; yet the way you post here, you'd not agree with any of it and insist you've got the right angle. 

So let's turn the tables.   YOU give it to us.   Even with everything you say above being true, why should any of us accept not the outcome, but a team that was and is inept offensively and which obviously quit. 

The effort today was visibly horrid and everyone affiliated with IU media said so publicly.  (Fryfogle quit on a ball that got intercepted, Rutgers RB dragged our defense 10 yards.  Lots of jogging.  Linemen playing straight up and down.   I'm sure your eyes work, same as the rest of us.)

Tuttle is awful right now.  Play calling for McCulley puts him consistently in bad positions because the line is abysmal and slow.  Who hired the coordinators?  Why is any of this okay without the convenient excuse of injury to the QB position?   If Indiana is that fragile, that's also on the coach(es), is it not?  So go ahead.  Your turn.    Let's see if you can reasonably and convincingly excuse all of that while putting the knowledge-deprived armchair quarterback fan boys in their proper place; willing to wait another year.  The team is horrid.  The effort was inexcusable today.  Indiana lost 38-3 at home to Rutgers.  Take away Maryland and Indiana has scored 38 points in 7 Big Ten games (they ALLOWED 38 TODAY) with 15 of those coming against Michigan State.  Convince anyone here that's due solely to the QB position.  Go.

38 minutes ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

I’m very interested/concerned about your thumbs down. Some on this board are more experienced in this game than others thus some options are far dumber than others. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, doesn’t mean the comments made here aren’t completely ignorant. I was simply trying to explain context, for a very complex environment. Feel free to spew whatever nonsense you like. I’m sure it will take you far.  

Are you always this level of a condescending jerk?

46 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

You don’t need extensive D1 experience to realize that Sheridan’s third down QB draw plays never work. I don’t know how anyone could watch him this season and see him as anything other than utterly incompetent. 

First, yea you do. Second, the plays you’re talking about are mostly RPOs which is why you don’t see linemen 15 yards down field, but you knew that right? So perhaps QB draw was what DMac felt comfortable with/would work 

8 hours ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

First, yea you do. Second, the plays you’re talking about are mostly RPOs which is why you don’t see linemen 15 yards down field, but you knew that right? So perhaps QB draw was what DMac felt comfortable with/would work 

Lol. We’re in 119th place in total offense and 117th in ppg. That’s out of 130 teams. We gained 233 yards and scored 6 points against Iowa before any injury woes. We’ve averaged 10.8 ppg against conference opponents. In the 6 non-Maryland games, we’ve averaged 6.3 ppg. But go ahead and keep riding so hard for Nick Sheridan. You might be the only non-family member in his corner (assuming you’re not a family member), but you do you. 

11 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Lol. We’re in 119th place in total offense and 117th in ppg. That’s out of 130 teams. We gained 233 yards and scored 6 points against Iowa before any injury woes. We’ve averaged 10.8 ppg against conference opponents. In the 6 non-Maryland games, we’ve averaged 6.3 ppg. 

And here I had forgotten how putrid we are on offense...LOL  

16 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Lol. We’re in 119th place in total offense and 117th in ppg. That’s out of 130 teams. We gained 233 yards and scored 6 points against Iowa before any injury woes. We’ve averaged 10.8 ppg against conference opponents. In the 6 non-Maryland games, we’ve averaged 6.3 ppg. But go ahead and keep riding so hard for Nick Sheridan. You might be the only non-family member in his corner (assuming you’re not a family member), but you do you. 

Funny, you weren’t calling for him to be fired last season. There’s so many inept comments on this board, it’s hard to keep up. Say what you want but I guarantee you and the rest of people sprewing this crap on here arent half as successful in your chosen careers as IUs current staff which should tell you something, but I doubt it will. I’m done commenting on the subject and why it’s messed up to be calling for people’s jobs. Carry on with your misguided vitriol…It’s not going to change anything. 

2 minutes ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

Funny, you weren’t calling for him to be fired last season. There’s so many inept comments on this board, it’s hard to keep up. Say what you want but I guarantee you and the rest of people sprewing this crap on here arent half as successful in your chosen careers as IUs current staff which should tell you something, but I doubt it will. I’m done commenting on the subject and why it’s messed up to be calling for people’s jobs. Carry on with your misguided vitriol…It’s not going to change anything. 

Lol. I don’t think message boards are the place for you. The only ‘inept’ thing here is Nick Sheridan’s offense. 

2 minutes ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

Is it raining nuclear fallout in Kzoo?

5 minutes ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

Bruh... If you really think Nick Sheridan is worth keeping around, you're delusional. It's part of the career. You don't produce, you get fired. And Sheridan has never produced a good offense as an OC. He's horrid. Wouldn't even trust him to be the OC of a pee wee team. Probably can't even play a good offense on Madden. 

10 minutes ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

Do you think that you’re adding a lot of intelligence and nuance to the conversation? You said you were adding context to a complex situation. The only context you’ve added is that we had a rusty quarterback and a backup quarterback. I don’t think you need a PhD in football to add that kind of analysis.

You also called for Warren and Hiller’s jobs so let’s get off our high horse.

12 hours ago, HoosierX said:

We scored 6 points against Iowa, 0 against PSU, 15 against MSU, 7 against OSU, 7 against UM, 3 against Rutgers. That’s 38 points across 6 games. Take out the MSU game and it’s 23 points across 5 games.

I don’t care who your QBs are that’s atrocious. Plus the play calling has been unimaginative and predictable. I do have the answer, fire Sheridan.

Both OL and OC staffers need to be replaced off season.

Last season was an anomaly (that everyone dealt with, but TA dealt with exceptionally well)

This season is an anomaly due to schedule and injuries.

Next season is the tie breaker to determine if TA will be a good hire or not.

2 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Lol. I don’t think message boards are the place for you. The only ‘inept’ thing here is Nick Sheridan’s offense. 

Dude is clueless. I’d just stop responding and he’ll go away 

36 minutes ago, CS2 said:

Both OL and OC staffers need to be replaced off season.

Last season was an anomaly (that everyone dealt with, but TA dealt with exceptionally well)

This season is an anomaly due to schedule and injuries.

Next season is the tie breaker to determine if TA will be a good hire or not.

I would be more willing to accept the injury excuse if we looked good at some point in the season and then started struggling because of injuries piling up. To the extent injuries explain anything, I’d argue it only does for the defense. The offense has been awful since the first game of the season. Sure, McCulley is a freshman and no one expected him to play this season, but he’s no Zander Diamont. McCulley is IU’s highest ranked quarterback commit in program history. We still have Fryfogle. We still have Hendershot. There’s no reason we shouldn’t be able to put together packages to move the ball on a team like Rutgers. 

3 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I would be more willing to accept the injury excuse if we looked good at some point in the season and then started struggling because of injuries piling up. To the extent injuries explain anything, I’d argue it only does for the defense. The offense has been awful since the first game of the season. Sure, McCulley is a freshman and no one expected him to play this season, but he’s no Zander Diamont. McCulley is IU’s highest ranked quarterback commit in program history. We still have Fryfogle. We still have Hendershot. There’s no reason we shouldn’t be able to put together packages to move the ball on a team like Rutgers. 

I am not using it as an excuse.  The gaps are real.  It just needs to be baked into and objective review.

All of the objective commentary preseason stated that given the schedule, IU's sucess rode heavily on Penix coming back at full strength.  He clearly was nowhere near full strength from the jump.  Then take away Matthews and poor performance by the RB room and Fry...we have what we have.  The defense is a shadow of itself.

I am not excusing the coaching performance in the least.  We need changes at OC and OL and that is on Tom.

8 hours ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

I will compare W2's and career trajectory with you any time.  Be careful.  (I'll also compare golf handicap, achievements of kids, hotness of wife/girlfriend, number of close friends, cool vacations, resumes, and anything else you'd like)  The irony of bold above is thick.  

For the record :

* Success isn't a destination.  If you succeed and can't sustain it, it's either luck, good timing, or a fluke.  Things change and mentioning last year is a comical reach.

*  Who gets to define success?  Someone promoted to a position  he's not ready for isn't successful.   See :  Nick Sheridan

*  When changes are made - and they will be - I fully expect to see YOUR vitriolic self here apologizing with a whole lot of humility.  Dudes getting on you are absolutely justified in doing so; and your comments are as laughable as they are misplaced and unjustifiably judgmental.

*  More than you have played the game, other sports at high levels, and coached at high levels.  Don't kid yourself.