Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

IUBB v Belmont - Secret Scrimmage

It's called a snapshot of progress. And yes, if we don't compete for a B1G title (notice I didn't say "win a B1G title")  then we're no better off. I believe we'll be much better, but good enough? Too early to say, but everyone has there own measuring stick. Mine is just different than some others.
To each his own.
Your's is fair. We have an All-American and a ton of experience. We should expect to compete and by that I mean finish in top 5 or so in conference. IU basketball should always expect to be competing for a conference title.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Honestly not getting the handwringing.
This is just a secret scrimmage, it’s closed so coaches can work on things without cameras, fans etc. That’s the point of a secret scrimmage, it’s, at least usually, not a free flowing regular game / scrimmage. 
And regardless, if it was actually played like a regular game and it’s necessary for some reason to make a secret scrimmage some kind of measuring stick on our shooting or  progress, we shot fine and beat a solid team, and this is after sweeping the games in the bahamas, a pro team. Lol it’s a secret scrimmage!

For us "Old Farts" (of which I may be the oldest on here) I've witnessed a lot of ups, and a lot of downs. Fortunately, there have been far more ups, than downs since 1970. I'm used to us competing for Big 10 titles. I believe Woody will get us there. The question is when? None of us know. I'm just anxious. 

Just now, DWB said:

For us "Old Farts" (of which I may be the oldest on here) I've witnessed a lot of ups, and a lot of downs. Fortunately, there have been far more ups, than downs since 1970. I'm used to us competing for Big 10 titles. I believe Woody will get us there. The question is when? None of us know. I'm just anxious. 

I have seen 3 national championships bit since 94 there has not been may ups. Even tn last 5-6 years under RMK we didn't compete for the big ten often.  I just think you are over reacting about a scrimmage that might not been a full game.  I have seen where do.e of these scrimmages were playing in different game situations.

9 minutes ago, DWB said:

A lil’ bourbon maybe? Don’t want anxiety….not productive.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I have seen where do.e of these scrimmages were playing in different game situations.

Agreed. But several wanted to post details like 3's, FT's and win by 11. I chose to discuss the 3's. That's been our biggest weakness for the past several years, with FT's a close 2nd. Guys want to take me to task for discussing it? Fine. I'm a big boy. 34% is better than 24% but less than 39%.

Glad we "won" whatever the circumstance and format. That's always a good start.

I just looked at shooting stats last year and can't believe no team shot over 50 percent from the field in the big ten.  I remember plenty of seasons where IU shot 54 to 55 percent from the field.

46 minutes ago, DWB said:

I've been a fan for all our titles as well.  Just don't get why you think that if we do not compete for a Big Ten title this year that 'we're no better off' than before.

Just now, brumdog45 said:

I've been a fan for all our titles as well.  Just don't get why you think that if we do not compete for a Big Ten title this year that 'we're no better off' than before.

That's my opinion. I've spent a big part of my adult life experiencing IU competing for Big 10 titles. I expect it. I hope a lot of other fans do to.

27 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I just looked at shooting stats last year and can't believe no team shot over 50 percent from the field in the big ten.  I remember plenty of seasons where IU shot 54 to 55 percent from the field.

I'm going back through basketball reference and the numbers don't really support that -- especially since the advent of the three point shot in college.  We shot 53.4% in 1990-1....but took less than 9 threes per game.  That's the best percentage IU has shot since the advent of the three point shot in 1986-7.  The highest we ever shot under Bob Knight was 53.7% one year prior to the three point spot, but we never hit 54%, even with Knight teams.  The 75-6 team that went undefeated shot 51.7%.

Anyway, field goal percentages do drop when more three point shots are taken.  But you don't need to hit 50% of your overall shots to be good offensively with the inclusion of the three point shot.

7 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

I'm going back through basketball reference and the numbers don't really support that -- especially since the advent of the three point shot in college.  We shot 53.4% in 1990-1....but took less than 9 threes per game.  That's the best percentage IU has shot since the advent of the three point shot in 1986-7.  The highest we ever shot under Bob Knight was 53.7% one year prior to the three point spot, but we never hit 54%, even with Knight teams.  The 75-6 team that went undefeated shot 51.7%.

Anyway, field goal percentages do drop when more three point shots are taken.  But you don't need to hit 50% of your overall shots to be good offensively with the inclusion of the three point shot.

It was before the shot clock. 91-92 we shot 52 percent overall but 55 percent from two and 43 from 3.  I shouldn't have said a lot and going off memory.  I just remember watching a lot of d games during the pandemic.  Back then they would show all of the team stats before the game.  I remembered on one game them showing IU shooting .545 for the year

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It was before the shot clock. 91-92 we shot 52 percent overall but 55 percent from two and 43 from 3

Your original post had stated no team last year shot 50% and you remember IU shooting 54 or 55 percent plenty of seasons.  Just saying that wasn't true -- we never shot 54% from Knight's first year on and would wager we didn't prior.  In terms of teams shooting 54/55 percent from two now,   If you are just talking two point percentage, quite a few teams shot above 50% last year (Illinois shot 55.1%, Iowa 52.7%, Michigan 53.5%, Purdue 51.7%, Ohio State 52.2%, Rutgers 51.7%, and Maryland 53.9%)

3 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Your original post had stated no team last year shot 50% and you remember IU shooting 54 or 55 percent plenty of seasons.  Just saying that wasn't true -- we never shot 54% from Knight's first year on and would wager we didn't prior.  In terms of teams shooting 54/55 percent from two now,   If you are just talking two point percentage, quite a few teams shot above 50% last year (Illinois shot 55.1%, Iowa 52.7%, Michigan 53.5%, Purdue 51.7%, Ohio State 52.2%, Rutgers 51.7%, and Maryland 53.9%)

Should of read my edit to the post where I said I shouldn't said a lot.  I remember watching some old games during the pandemic and one game I watched had IU shooting .546 for the year

2 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

FWIW, Belmont was 26-4 last year and only lost 3.5% of their minutes and 2.5% of their scoring from last year.  Pretty good considering the transfer portal situation this year.

Ranked 38th by CBS. Tourney team in Bracketology.