Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Game Thread: vs. Ohio State - 7:30pm - ABC

2 minutes ago, Magisterium said:

nothing against Fitz, but it was Gary Barnett who turned the Northwestern program around, When Barnett was hired NW had had something like 19 straight losing seasons and Barnett got them to the Rose Bowl in 4 years and the Citrus Bowl a year later, winning one B1G 10 championship and tying for another one along the way.

Fitzgerald has done an excellent job of restoring the program back to the level where Barnett had gotten it, and he has also done (for the most part) a very good job of sustaining it. It doesn't hurt that such a wealthy university finally acknowledged Barnett's and Fitzgerald's efforts by spending to renovate and add to the football facilities.

It also didn't hurt that, as an original condition of Barnett accepting the job, NW lowered its admissions standards for athletes, which allowed Barnett to recruit "program-changers" like Darnell Autry.

Barnett certainly had a great two years, but he was there seven years and those were the only two bowl games his teams made it to. His other five years he went 15-40-1 and 8-32 in the conference. His last year at Northwestern he went 0-8 in the Big Ten.

But anyway, that isn’t all that different from what we’ve had at IU, just with lower peaks. Wilson got us to back to back bowl games for the first time in 25 years. Allen had the past two seasons. We’re in a position where a stud coach could come in and take us to the next level. 

24 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

I’ll never fault anyone for having an agent that realizes someone is another good season away from getting PAID and using that as leverage, because that’s the exact situation Allen was in after last season. Regardless of how you feel about him as a coach, the CFB carousel is a momentum game and he had a ton of it. I’m not sure what the department was supposed to do, because I’m almost certain schools started sniffing around. 

I’ll also say that this is college athletics and if they proved anything during COVID, it’s that money is nothing more than a number. If someone wants to hire him away, they’ll find 30 and if Dolson wants to fire him, he’ll find it too. It’s not my money so I couldn’t care less about the size of a buyout. 

It’s an obscene number but likely a non issue as Allen could win 2 games for the next couple seasons and IU wouldn’t fire him.

22 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Barnett certainly had a great two years, but he was there seven years and those were the only two bowl games his teams made it to. His other five years he went 15-40-1 and 8-32 in the conference. His last year at Northwestern he went 0-8 in the Big Ten.

But anyway, that isn’t all that different from what we’ve had at IU, just with lower peaks. Wilson got us to back to back bowl games for the first time in 25 years. Allen had the past two seasons. We’re in a position where a stud coach could come in and take us to the next level. 

sorry but IMO after 19 losing seasons, getting to the outright B1G 10 title and Rose Bowl in just 4 years is at least as impressive as anything Fitz has done, especially with how many fewer bowl games there were back then. And I'm a pretty big Fitz fan.

Wilson and, to date, Allen never got an outright B1G 10 title or Rose Bowl, and the B1G made sure last year to guarantee Allen's Big East success didn't get in the way of Ohio State.

19 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Back on topic does anyone get the feeling the defense has started to just go through the motions knowing the offense is so ineffective?

I don’t.  The Defense has been bitten by the injury bug and still held up reasonably well with a few different players making plays.  They got torched by OSU because the OSU offense is just that good and our offense couldn’t sustain any drive after the first TD

10 hours ago, GnarlyTimGarl said:

Does anyone know of any contact information or an email address where I can communicate with someone from the athletic department or football administration where we can explain concerns about spectator experience inside Memorial Stadium?

I witnessed/experienced some very inappropriate and dangerous behavior from A LOT of spectators (many of which were our guests to the East but some Hoosiers as well) that made me consider my personal safety and whether or not I want to attend many more games in the future.

Did anyone else experience something similar? I have attended nearly 100 IU football games over the years and Saturday night was BY FAR the worst experience I ever had and it had nothing to do with the weather or poor play. I understand alcohol is now permitted inside the stadium but the amount of drunken, obscene and profanity-laced behavior exhibited by so many resembled something more like a middle-aged frat party instead of a sporting event. I'm all for playful banter between fans of opposing schools, but I would have been absolutely embarrassed to bring a child to that game and sit in my designated seat. My elderly father and I were recipients of unprovoked obscenities and had several intoxicated individuals almost fall on us on multiple occasions. We didn't notify the stadium attendants because there were so many people we wouldn't even know where to begin.So we just left before halftime.

I'm hoping this was simply an aberration, but if this is going to be permitted in the future then I'll stay at home. If an IU Football game is more for folks aged 21 and over... please don't advertise it as a family event.

An obnoxious OSU fan was the main reason we left halftime.  He was drinking and just talked smack the whole first half 

11 hours ago, GnarlyTimGarl said:

Does anyone know of any contact information or an email address where I can communicate with someone from the athletic department or football administration where we can explain concerns about spectator experience inside Memorial Stadium?

I witnessed/experienced some very inappropriate and dangerous behavior from A LOT of spectators (many of which were our guests to the East but some Hoosiers as well) that made me consider my personal safety and whether or not I want to attend many more games in the future.

Did anyone else experience something similar? I have attended nearly 100 IU football games over the years and Saturday night was BY FAR the worst experience I ever had and it had nothing to do with the weather or poor play. I understand alcohol is now permitted inside the stadium but the amount of drunken, obscene and profanity-laced behavior exhibited by so many resembled something more like a middle-aged frat party instead of a sporting event. I'm all for playful banter between fans of opposing schools, but I would have been absolutely embarrassed to bring a child to that game and sit in my designated seat. My elderly father and I were recipients of unprovoked obscenities and had several intoxicated individuals almost fall on us on multiple occasions. We didn't notify the stadium attendants because there were so many people we wouldn't even know where to begin.So we just left before halftime.

I'm hoping this was simply an aberration, but if this is going to be permitted in the future then I'll stay at home. If an IU Football game is more for folks aged 21 and over... please don't advertise it as a family event.

It was a late game. Not saying that excuses behavior, but the later the game, the more drinking. Noonish games are always pretty mild. 

Mid afternoon a little wilder. Night games are always a bit out there in terms of behavior. Doesn't really matter what team or stadium. 

On 10/25/2021 at 7:13 PM, Alford Bailey said:

Back on topic does anyone get the feeling the defense has started to just go through the motions knowing the offense is so ineffective?

It's just not good. Looks like a Kevin Wilson defense. Wait to be hit, zero pressure, no playmaking, never in the backfield, weak, slow, never know where the ball is. It's just bad.