Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Game Thread: vs. Ohio State - 7:30pm - ABC

1 hour ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

Imagine if we had just one year with both at the coordinator positions. I thought we had one but it looks like Wommack was only LB coach the one year DeBoer was here. We can’t have nice things.

Kane’s first year as DC was the same year Kaleb DeBoer was here so we did get a year with them. 2019-2020

4 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

Well damn. Of course it was the best non COVID season we’ve had in a million years. Imagine if we had both in year 3 right now? 

Yeah they are both rising stars.

but Tbh we had a lot of posters calling for Wommack’s head throughout that first season. People couldn’t believe Allen hired a 30 year old who had never coached a defense before. 

just saying. 

4 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Wish we had DeBoer as head coach. 

Why so he could leave in a year? 

the season sucks man, but how long have you been watching IU football? You Calling for Allen’s head (again) is interesting. 

16 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

the season sucks man, but how long have you been watching IU football? You Calling for Allen’s head (again) is interesting. 

So many people aren’t looking at this situation realistically 

22 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

Since 2013. What’s ‘interesting’ is the way we’ve completely embarrassed ourselves during a year the team was supposed to “take the next step.” The team chirped a lot last season  about wanting respect. Almost everyone from last year returned and this is the result. We’ve won two games this season. A win against an FCS school and a 2 point win against a 3-4 C-USA team. We got shut out for the first time since 2000. 

People will make excuses about our schedule, but they’re just that - excuses. Purdue went into Iowa’s house and dominated them. Gained 464 yards of offense and held them to 7 points. Illinois went into Happy Valley and knocked off Penn State. They ran for 345 yards against the defense we couldn’t even score on. There’s no excuse for not being even being competitive. 

Allen went 6-2 during a flukey, fanless covid year, lost to a crappy SEC team in the bowl game, and Dolson gave him the 4th biggest buyout in the entire country. Allen routinely makes questionable in-game coaching decisions. How many times this year have we come up empty in the red zone because Allen unnecessarily goes for it on 4th down? 

Everyone loves to talk about what Allen is ‘building’ as if he inherited a disaster of a program. It’s his 5th season. When he got hired we were coming off back to back bowl appearances. He’s getting paid $4.3 million this year to put out an uncompetitive, undisciplined football team. He has hired multiple people who have no business holding their positions. I’ve given him credit for last year a number of times. I even bought into the hype before the season started. Now it’s back to reality for IU football. 

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Since 2013. What’s ‘interesting’ is the way we’ve completely embarrassed ourselves during a year the team was supposed to “take the next step.” We’ve won two games this season. A win against an FCS school and a 2 point win against a 3-4 C-USA team. We got shut out for the first time since 2000. 

People will make excuses about our schedule, but they’re just that - excuses. Purdue went into Iowa’s house and dominated them. Gained 464 yards of offense and held them to 7 points. Illinois went into Happy Valley and knocked off Penn State. They ran for 345 yards against the defense we couldn’t even score on. 

Allen went 6-2 during a flukey, fanless covid year, lost to a crappy SEC team in the bowl game, and Dolson gave him the 4th biggest buyout in the entire country. Allen routinely makes questionable in-game coaching decisions. How many times this year have we come up empty in the red zone because Allen unnecessarily goes for it on 4th down? 

Everyone loves to talk about what Allen is ‘building’ as if he inherited a disaster of a program. It’s his 5th season. When he got hired we were coming off back to back bowl appearances. He’s getting paid $4.3 million this year to put out an uncompetitive, undisciplined football team. He has hired multiple people who have no business holding their positions. 

So you would fire Tom Allen? Honestly asking

4 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

So you would fire Tom Allen? Honestly asking

If finances weren’t an issue? I’d give him next season to get rid of his terrible coordinators and right the ship. He does deserve that after the past two seasons. But if next season looked like how this season has looked? Yes.

4 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

If finances weren’t an issue? I’d give him next season to get rid of his terrible coordinators and right the ship. He does deserve that after the past two seasons. But if next season looked like how this season has looked? Yes.

I just don’t think IU football is in a position to be firing coaches that want to build something here. I am not old but have been going to games my entire life and the past two seasons are by far the most successful. The recruiting has been by far the most successful under Allen. 

I agree he has some tough decisions to make regarding the offensive scheme and leadership. But IU’s best chance to build a program is under someone like Allen who doesn’t want to use it as a stepping stone. I don’t think that can be taken lightly 

The reality is this. 
1. Assistant coach shake up is coming AFTER THE SEASON not during

2. IU has a bad O-line which is causing most of the offensive problems but not all because play calling isn’t good but Sheridan is handcuffed to some extent 

3. IU played its 4th and 5th string QB most of the game yesterday behind a terrible O-line against OSU. That’s not good for player development or good results. No team is going to succeed in that situation 

4. Allen isn’t getting fired he has a massive buyout and doesn’t deserve to get fired. Especially with the recruiting class coming in with a chance to add more to it 

12 hours ago, Alford Bailey said:

Allen reminds me so much of Crean except for the fact that Crean had some great wins

I’ve actually always thought this to a certain extent. They are both a little quirky.  As CTA was building the program and winning, it was endearing.

It becomes less endearing when you’re not winning. I doubt there will be too many articles about LEO this offseason.

22 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

I just don’t think IU football is in a position to be firing coaches that want to build something here. I am not old but have been going to games my entire life and the past two seasons are by far the most successful. The recruiting has been by far the most successful under Allen. 

I agree he has some tough decisions to make regarding the offensive scheme and leadership. But IU’s best chance to build a program is under someone like Allen who doesn’t want to use it as a stepping stone. I don’t think that can be taken lightly 

I think it’s great that Allen wants to build something here, and up until the start of this season it looked like he was. Maybe he still is and this is just a bump in the road. That’s why I would give him all of next season. Even great teams have down years. We still have 5 games left this year, and 4 of them are very winnable. Hopefully we can turn things around. But I’m concerned with what I’ve seen from McCulley. He was a top 300 kid and supposed to be the qb of the future. I get that he’s only a freshman and being asked to come in against OSU is a huge ask, but it didn’t look like the staff trusted him to throw at all. They had a random walk-on come in for him when it was a two score game 3 minutes into the second quarter . Was just odd to me.

I’m just not as worried about being used as a stepping stone as other people are. If it happens, it happens. Say we hired Kalen DeBoer. He makes $1.3 million at Fresno State, so we could triple his salary. Add in the COL differences between California and Indiana. Would he even come here? Who knows. But if someone like him came in, tore it up, and left, well, at least that means we had some good seasons. We’d then be in a better position looking for our next coach.

Allen has definitely done a better job recruiting than his predecessors, but we still are toward the bottom of the conference. Our 2019 class was 36th in the country but only 8th in the Big 10. Our 2020 and 2021 classes were both 12th in the conference. We’re in a tough situation because even when we make gains as a team our competition makes bigger gains. I’m very concerned that a collapse over the rest of the season would really kill our recruiting momentum. 

42 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

I think a lot of people either have forgotten or is young to remember that IU is one of the worst power 5 programs.  In my 51 years I have probably seen about 10 seasons of IU football that would be considered good seasons.  I have witnessed a 0-11 season and a lot of 2 and 3 win seasons. Yes this season is horrible but Allen has given us two of the better seasons in IU history.

Oh, woe is Indiana football.  Losing to 5 top 11 teams in the nation...what has become of IU?

Indiana football is in a position of one foot in a rut and one foot on a banana peel.  We really do need a quarterback that can complete 60% of his passes and is mobile and can think and can avoid costly errors.  We need an offensive line that can hold their own against the competition.  We need depth at all the positions.  We need an OC that can best utilize what we have.

I am not going to throw away this team and this season because of some injuries and an awfully stacked schedule.  I like Tom Allen.  He will do well at IU...and has already.  This season is not a bust even though our won/loss record looks and is awful.  If any of you think that IU should be better than this without Penix and with this OL and this OC, then you are fooling yourselves.

But therein lies the rub.  Why did Tom Allen get this OC?  Why did Tom Allen settle for an injured Penix and a backup like Tuttle and this OL? Why did this OC go to the unimaginative game theory of run run pass punt? (Against OSU, the first two possessions looked better.)  Maybe, just maybe IU needs some sharp recruiters like they have, apparently, just gotten over on the basketball side.  Maybe they need a coach emeritus like they got from OSU on the basketball side.  Coach Woodson may just pull the rabbit out of his hat.  I think that over time, Tom Allen will too. (I did like the fact that IU tried the 3rd and 4th string QBs...why not?  Game was already over.)

Except for two things:  demographics and money.  Those make up the rut that one foot of the IU football program is in.  The Ohio State program has no other competition in that more populous state.  That fact funnels more recruits and money to OSU than IU and Purdoo combined.  

The only way to beat that is to tilt the TV, B1G money more toward IU.  Yeah, right.   And all you athletes, you gotta have waaaay more offspring that will help quadruple the population and recruits in Indiana.  So, my solution is more sex.  Go forth for the good of Ol' IU!  Get hoppin'.  Just do it. 

PS   Maybe Indiana could annex Chicago, Louisville, Dayton, and Milwaukee to increase our population.  No?  Nevermind.   Just get out there and procreate!  And cheer on IU.

1 hour ago, Dave from Dayton said:

Oh, woe is Indiana football.  Losing to 5 top 11 teams in the nation...what has become of IU?

Making excuses about our big bad schedule is just a losing mentality. We chose to play Cincinnati, so no one to blame but ourselves there. Of the other teams, Ohio State is the only unbeatable juggernaut. Purdue dominated Iowa on the road. They destroyed us. Illinois beat Penn State on the road. They shut us out. Michigan State is top 10 in name only. We could’ve easily beat them if our offense was even halfway competent. We could only beat a mediocre C-USA team by two messily points. What will be the excuse if we lose to Maryland, Purdue, Minnesota or Rutgers?

1 hour ago, Dave from Dayton said:

If any of you think that IU should be better than this without Penix and with this OL and this OC, then you are fooling yourselves.

Also, Allen is in his fifth season. He picked the OC. He picked the OL. He decided to rely on an injury prone quarterback. Penix getting a serious injury was the easiest thing to predict. He’s suffered a season-ending injury every year he’s been in college. The buck stops with Allen.