Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

Major announcement?

14 minutes ago, DWB said:

OK...you guys disagree with me, and that's all good. I come from a different generation of value assessment I guess.

But comparing $100 balcony ticket for a game is one thing. For a ½-a$$ practice, show-time event is quite another. I just don't see how you can justify charging $50 (my estimate) to attend something like that.

I applaud the effort to get the players some pocket money, but disagree with trying to get them enough $$$ to fully fund their retirement accts...

I guess you have to look at it a bit differently if justifying the expense is an issue. This is just as much for the fans as it is to support the guys on the team. $25 to entertain you with a $25 tip to the players to reward them for the hard work they put in. Kinda like paying $200 a plate at a charity gala knowing your dinner and drinks are only worth $100. 

OK...you guys disagree with me, and that's all good. I come from a different generation of value assessment I guess.

But comparing $100 balcony ticket for a game is one thing. For a ½-a$$ practice, show-time event is quite another. I just don't see how you can justify charging $50 (my estimate) to attend something like that.

I applaud the effort to get the players some pocket money, but disagree with trying to get them enough $$$ to fully fund their retirement accts...

On the players retirement account lol get used to it with the new rules. We need to support our players and better hope they are getting competitive compensation compared to other big schools or recruiting will suffer. Its the way it is going to be so we better get used to it if we want indiana to be competitive

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I don’t see players getting close to that $800k a year unless they change the system again and have universities start paying players. That’s how much Alabama’s quarterback is getting in NIL deals. I am interested in how much our players have gotten so far, though. I haven’t seen any numbers reported yet. 

Balcony tickets are only $100 or more for the very biggest games. Purdue, for example. Tickets generally are pretty affordable. Right now you can get two tickets in row 43 for IU vs. Wisconsin on February 15. for $35 a piece. Balcony tickets for $43. $91 after taxes and fees for you and that special someone to celebrate Valentine’s Day with a conference basketball game. 

It’s even lower for cupcake games. You can get a balcony seat for $16 on stubhub right now for our first game of the year against Eastern Michigan. After taxes and fees, it’d cost you $44 for two tickets. I don’t know how much tickets for this NIL event will be because they haven’t told us yet, but if they’re more than $20 or so you’re going to be charging people more for Hoosier Hysteria 2.0 than it’d cost them to go to an actual game. 

28 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

This is why I suspect you start seeing college studs stick around instead of going to go pro. 

Hope you're right about guys hanging around longer. I wonder how Isiah and other NChamps compare the college championship to the pro championship. Which one do they remember most? The college NC because it was their first? Or the NBA one? 

I also wonder if any of the former players have discussed any of that with current players, like TJD going pro early. Isiah had to take care of his family financially and all, but he still got a NCAA NC under his belt first.

This is why I suspect you start seeing college studs stick around instead of going to go pro. 

If it works this way, EVERYONE benefits, and I love to see it.

One thing I worry about is the backlash vs players is already too harsh. I’d hope some restraint is shown because they are “student athletes” or at least that is my belief. Now that they are paid, gloves could come off, and I sincerely hope it doesn’t work out this way. Social media is a danger to many, but the young minded players it’s especially dangerous. Heck, even the best players like Durant and LeBron are affected by the hatred. I pray we are winners and our great fans outweigh our crummy ones by a wide margin.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

28 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

If it works this way, EVERYONE benefits, and I love to see it.

One thing I worry about is the backlash vs players is already too harsh. I’d hope some restraint is shown because they are “student athletes” or at least that is my belief. Now that they are paid, gloves could come off, and I sincerely hope it doesn’t work out this way. Social media is a danger to many, but the young minded players it’s especially dangerous. Heck, even the best players like Durant and LeBron are affected by the hatred. I pray we are winners and our great fans outweigh our crummy ones by a wide margin.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Our great fans outweigh the crummy ones even when we’re losing.

It’s just that the crummy ones are louder on the internet.

Our great fans outweigh the crummy ones even when we’re losing.

It’s just that the crummy ones are louder on the internet.

Every fan base with passion has bad social media fans. I guarantee if we had social media in the 90s like we do now under knights reign it would be worse than today. Because we weren't great and our fans had alot of passion. It would be rupp rafters basically. We need to have major success to grow and lure back in the terrible fans lol

It’s not just $50 for a ticket, it’s $50 multiplied by X attendees for our athletes. This is a big deal IMO, for these athletes and for future recruits. It’s an opportunity for fans that aren’t millionaire boosters to contribute to a brand new opportunity that IU seems to be trying to get out in front of and really take advantage of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

Every fan base with passion has bad social media fans. I guarantee if we had social media in the 90s like we do now under knights reign it would be worse than today. Because we weren't great and our fans had alot of passion. It would be rupp rafters basically. We need to have major success to grow and lure back in the terrible fans lol

I’m going to need an apology for comparing us to Rupps rafters in any shape or form. 

1 hour ago, DWB said:

Hope you're right about guys hanging around longer. I wonder how Isiah and other NChamps compare the college championship to the pro championship. Which one do they remember most? The college NC because it was their first? Or the NBA one? 

I also wonder if any of the former players have discussed any of that with current players, like TJD going pro early. Isiah had to take care of his family financially and all, but he still got a NCAA NC under his belt first.

I doubt this keeps any guy who is going to absolutely get drafted in the first round to stick around.  But those guys who are told they are a mid to late second round pick.  Yeah I could see them spending another year making 6 figures and living the high life before making 5 figures in Greece. 

I doubt this keeps any guy who is going to absolutely get drafted in the first round to stick around.  But those guys who are told they are a mid to late second round pick.  Yeah I could see them spending another year making 6 figures and living the high life before making 5 figures in Greece. 
I will apologize because this board would not allow it but we would have had fans competing with that level of ignorance somewhere. Face it blue blood level brings passionate band wagon fans who say ignorant things.

2 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

I’m going to need an apology for comparing us to Rupps rafters in any shape or form. 

Have you ever been to IU rivals site after losses

23 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Have you ever been to IU rivals site after losses

Yes but I have literally seen Rupps rafters trash one of their own players for such crimes as:

Giving post game comments

Charity work 

Talking about interests other than basketball

Heck Keion Brooks could score 50 points in the NC and they would still trash him for his comments about Rupp 

IDK.  Maybe I’m the only one who thinks it’s a little cringeworthy to parade the players around like a circus side show.  It’s like Jose Conseco and Pete Rose signing autographs at an obscure card show.  
Its to make them money. Its for the fans to interact with them. No circus just revenue and fun. Get used to it hoosier hysteria will be the side show events like this new norm