Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

Major announcement?

22 hours ago, FightFor6 said:

Fair -- taking the stance that you don't like the schtick isn't pointless. It's actually harmful. I don't wait on baited breath for the guy's content either, but I also recognize the potential impact on earnings for our players by having an individual with connections that is as invested as EP is to the program. Apparently, the IU athletic department and coaching staff feel similar as well. Fans that incessantly complain about how uncomfortable the interactions are from Eric are ultimately going to negatively influence player's earnings potential by advocating for less of his interaction with the program. 

I won't sign off on that perspective. How's that for a "hot" take?

It is possible to be for these kinds of events but not want someone who reflects poorly on the program involved.

13 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

So no scrimmage during Hoosier Hysteria but we’ll have one on Nov. 6. I’m all for getting players their money. I’m also all for being transparent.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

A scrimmage was planned for HH. It was cancelled last minute, because of attrition.

8 hours ago, hoosierdaddy_72 said:

It is possible to be for these kinds of events but not want someone who reflects poorly on the program involved.

34 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Clearly Mark Cuban, the players, the coaching staff and the athletic program do not feel these guys reflect poorly. A boatload of former players who have been guests on their podcast seem to not feel that way. 

I'm not saying I love everything the HH guys do, but clearly most people that are highly involved with the program value what they're doing. 

• "..someone who reflects poorly on the program" is subjective. It is a perfectly reasonable personal conclusion, but is subjective.

• On the other hand, IMO "Mark Cuban, the players, the coaching staff and the athletic program do not feel these guys reflect poorly. A boatload of former players who have been guests on their podcast seem to not feel that way" is objectively true.

I think we’re getting too caught up in the who rather than the what. 

The point is that Indiana is being very proactive about this NIL thing, and positioning IU to succeed under these new rules. Very often the first attempts won’t be perfect, and we can expect that if the Hysterics guys can be improved upon in the future, then their role will be taken by or supplemented with something else. 

I don’t think the support from Cuban, the players, etc is necessarily for the Hysterics. The support is for the objective. And it so happens that the Hysterics guys are the ones stepping up to make this happen. 

I'm a huge fan of the talent getting paid, and so from that angle I love this announcement. And if we want to attract recruits, then the dollars coming to the players from events like these arranged with the university will make IU that much more attractive. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Clearly Mark Cuban, the players, the coaching staff and the athletic program do not feel these guys reflect poorly. A boatload of former players who have been guests on their podcast seem to not feel that way. 

I'm not saying I love everything the HH guys do, but clearly most people that are highly involved with the program value what they're doing. 

26 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

I think we’re getting too caught up in the who rather than the what. 

The point is that Indiana is being very proactive about this NIL thing, and positioning IU to succeed under these new rules. Very often the first attempts won’t be perfect, and we can expect that if the Hysterics guys can be improved upon in the future, then their role will be taken by or supplemented with something else. 

I don’t think the support from Cuban, the players, etc is necessarily for the Hysterics. The support is for the objective. And it so happens that the Hysterics guys are the ones stepping up to make this happen. 

I'm a huge fan of the talent getting paid, and so from that angle I love this announcement. And if we want to attract recruits, then the dollars coming to the players from events like these arranged with the university will make IU that much more attractive. 

Fully agree with both posts.  Personally I'm not a fan of HH but I'm certainly a fan of doing all we can to hype our bball program.  From the numerous tweets put forth by current members of the men's and women's program, they are fully on board with this event and I suspect there's going to be a lot more to it than has been announced to date.

30 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Fully agree with both posts.  Personally I'm not a fan of HH but I'm certainly a fan of doing all we can to hype our bball program.  From the numerous tweets put forth by current members of the men's and women's program, they are fully on board with this event and I suspect there's going to be a lot more to it than has been announced to date.

Honestly, I see the players’ tweets as advertisements more than anything. I don’t know that their social media posts are indicative of their level of excitement for the event. They have thousands of followers on social media, the more they hype it up the more fans hear about it, which can lead to more money in their pockets.

But in any event, I just don’t see the Hoosier hysterics guys doing anything that can’t be done by people who are less embarrassing. Mark Cuban isn’t a connection that they made. I would rather have people who are a little more polished be doing this. Surely the university could find someone. 

5 hours ago, BGleas said:

I think there is a distinction between what they do on the podcasts, vs the NIL collective, vs how they get in a recruit's face and embarrass them with questions (Blink twice if you didn't like school X) on camera, and then post it. Badgering the hell out of Garcia on twitter, same with some twitter posts on JHS. I just think his personality lacks class when it comes to recruits. Some call it  passion, I don't.

Having said that, the podcasts aren't that bad. His intent isn't bad, it's good. I guess I just don't agree with some of his presentation to voice that intent.

Haven't seen this article posted yet. Has a few more "details" on the event (not many, but some)

https://indianapublicmedia.org/news/iu-basketball-players-will-cash-in-from-new-hoosier-fan-fest-event.php

I have mixed feelings about how the money is getting split among the players. Seems kind of arbitrary to me. Who makes the decision? Pankowski & friend? Cuban? Coach? Lottery? what?

Personally I think the players should split it evenly. TJD, Scoop, Miller, etc have all shown they can get deals on their own, but the guys who work just as hard, and prepare the starters for games are important too IMO. For this type of event I'd like to see "crop sharing". 1:1 deals are a different animal.

1 minute ago, DWB said:

Haven't seen this article posted yet. Has a few more "details" on the event (not many, but some)

https://indianapublicmedia.org/news/iu-basketball-players-will-cash-in-from-new-hoosier-fan-fest-event.php

I have mixed feelings about how the money is getting split among the players. Seems kind of arbitrary to me. Who makes the decision? Pankowski & friend? Cuban? Coach? Lottery? what?

“All the money that is pooled together from corporate sponsorship, from ticket sales and from auction sales will go into a pot that is split up amongst the players,” Pankowski said. 

right there is the good stuff!

4 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

“All the money that is pooled together from corporate sponsorship, from ticket sales and from auction sales will go into a pot that is split up amongst the players,” Pankowski said. 

right there is the good stuff!

If you read further, it states that it will not be split evenly, but based on better players vs those at the end of the bench. (Maybe I'm wrong about an even split, but that's the way I feel for this type of event)

2 minutes ago, DWB said:

If you read further, it states that it will not be split evenly, but based on better players vs those at the end of the bench. (Maybe I'm wrong about an even split, but that's the way I feel for this type of event)

Yeah I’m not sure how I feel about that. Of course more fans will come to see TJD than Logan Duncomb, for example ( no offense to Logan), but when you’re doing a team event like this I think everyone should get an equal split. 

5 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Yeah I’m not sure how I feel about that. Of course more fans will come to see TJD than Logan Duncomb, for example ( no offense to Logan), but when you’re doing a team event like this I think everyone should get an equal split. 

I'm sure you're right about more people wanting to see TJD in person. But honestly, I'd really like to get a good look at the 2nd string to actually see how deep we really are. I love Leal & Galloway because of their hustle and loyalty to the program. I've never seen Logan play other than a few highlights. (saw TJD in person at Peach Jam in SC a few years ago). I'd like to see how Big Mike does against TJD.

But that's just me.

1 minute ago, DWB said:

I'm sure you're right about more people wanting to see TJD in person. But honestly, I'd really like to get a good look at the 2nd string to actually see how deep we really are. I love Leal & Galloway because of their hustle and loyalty to the program. I've never see Logan play other than a few highlights. (saw TJD in person at Peach Jam in SC a few years ago). I'd like to see how Big Mike does against TJD.

But that's just me.

Me personally, I don’t really care who the individual players are. When I go to an IU event it’s to watch the team as a whole. Like you said, it’s arbitrary how they appear to be doing it. Eric’s “it’s a free market” argument doesn’t hold any weight for me. The free market dictates which businesses want to offer deals to which players. When you’re doing a team event, and you’re very clearly advertising it as a team event, I don’t like paying players different amounts. They’re all part of the team, and they’re partaking in the team activity.

Heck, if they host a coed event with both basketball teams are they going to divvy up the earnings based on which team is more ‘marketable’ too?

This isn’t the NBA. The players’ marketability is largely driven by playing for Indiana University. TJD has 23k Twitter followers. IU basketball has over 1 million.

Just took a peek at the Hoosier Fanfest website this morning and drilled down to the events. In order to a fan to participate in the events with players, there is an auction for you to bid on that priviledge. Not a bad idea.

BUT...the starting bid for most of the events is $100. Sorry,  but that is outrageous IMO. If the bidding goes up that high from a lower starting point, that's fine, but to start it at $100 completely eliminates 90% of the people who would normally bid.

I listened to the HH guys last night on their follow up podcast, and they had every opportunity to announce the admission price and actually made a comment they didn't want to do so until tickets went on sale on Friday. With the starting bids for the auction, I can only imagine the Gen Adm will be looney tunes as well. They didn't even say WHERE you could buy tickets online. There's no link in the Hoosier Fanfest website to buy tickets, at least that I saw.

I was planning on driving up from SC for the event, but now I doubt it.

Just took a peek at the Hoosier Fanfest website this morning and drilled down to the events. In order to a fan to participate in the events with players, there is an auction for you to bid on that priviledge. Not a bad idea.
BUT...the starting bid for most of the events is $100. Sorry,  but that is outrageous IMO. If the bidding goes up that high from a lower starting point, that's fine, but to start it at $100 completely eliminates 90% of the people who would normally bid.
I listened to the HH guys last night on their follow up podcast, and they had every opportunity to announce the admission price and actually made a comment they didn't want to do so until tickets went on sale on Friday. With the starting bids for the auction, I can only imagine the Gen Adm will be looney tunes as well. They didn't even say WHERE you could buy tickets online. There's no link in the Hoosier Fanfest website to buy tickets, at least that I saw.
I was planning on driving up from SC for the event, but now I doubt it.
I don't see the 100 dollar starting bid as very high. It would easily go way higher than that anyway. Let's wait till Friday to see how much tickets are before getting to amped up. I want to go bad but my kids have a school fund raiser that night

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, coonhounds said:

I don't see the 100 dollar starting bid as very high. It would easily go way higher than that anyway. Let's wait till Friday to see how much tickets are before getting to amped up. I want to go bad but my kids have a school fund raiser that night

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

This.

A balcony ticket for a decent game on StubHub is about $100. $100 bucks for an Assembly Hall on-court player experience is a reasonable starting bid IMO.

However, there is value in starting the bids low--gives fans that won't win an adrenaline rush by bidding a few bucks and hoping. 

If I were them I'd make an admission ticket a requirement to bid, and then make the starting bid low to give lots of people the hope of a chance.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

This.

A balcony ticket for a decent game on StubHub is about $100. $100 bucks for an Assembly Hall on-court player experience is a reasonable starting bid IMO.

However, there is value in starting the bids low--gives fans that won't win an adrenaline rush by bidding a few bucks and hoping. 

If I were them I'd make an admission ticket a requirement to bid, and then make the starting bid low to give lots of people the hope of a chance.

Studies on auctions repeatedly show a low entry bid will lead to a higher sale price. 

That said, I think maybe they’re communicating that the player interaction won’t come cheap. $100 just doesn’t really move the needle, these are quasi-pro athletes. 

More studies. The average men’s basketball player for NCAA D-1 is worth $170,000 to his school per year. At Indiana? That jumps to $870,000 per year. Setting up an event like this and giving these guys beer money just won’t get it done. Props to the university for flexing its clout a little and setting up a way for these guys to keep some of the value they provide. 

Also, maybe this is the way TJD will get greater returns from this event than Duncomb. TJD keeps most of the bid money for his interactive experience, Logan gets what his bidders will pay, etc. then the ticket sales can be divided equally by the team. That is a very accurate way of determining exactly who should receive what: just set up the market. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/college-basketball-player-value-2017-3

OK...you guys disagree with me, and that's all good. I come from a different generation of value assessment I guess.

But comparing $100 balcony ticket for a game is one thing. For a ½-a$$ practice, show-time event is quite another. I just don't see how you can justify charging $50 (my estimate) to attend something like that.

I applaud the effort to get the players some pocket money, but disagree with trying to get them enough $$$ to fully fund their retirement accts...