Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

Major announcement?

1 hour ago, coonhounds said:

Ok I missed that part thanks. Very reasonable is vague lol. 20 dollars per ticket is reasonable to me but 10.00 is better. Anything over 20 is outrageous to me lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

$20 a ticket would do little more than cover the expenses for the event. If they’re gonna do this, it needs to generate actual income for the guys on the team. 

7 minutes ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

$20 a ticket would do little more than cover the expenses for the event. If they’re gonna do this, it needs to generate actual income for the guys on the team. 

The only problem with that is who’s going to want to pay > $20 a ticket for HH 2.0 only three days before the first game of the year?

I honestly just don’t quite understand this event. If you put tickets over $20 then you’re talking close to $100 for a family of four to go to something very similar to what they just went to for free. We’re still in a pandemic, so all the autographs and everything puts our guys in close proximity to hundreds of people days before the season. If it makes the players money then great, just not sure about it. 

Since HH was far from a sellout, I would expect they want this event to be an absolute splash and from the quote below, I'm thinking Cuban is underwriting it in a fairly substantial manner.  I'm betting the tickets will be very reasonable and family friendly.

“Obviously, I love Indiana University and I fully support NIL opportunities for student athletes,” Mark Cuban said. “Partnering with The Hoosier Hysterics NIL Collective and G3 to bring this event to Hoosier Nation is a perfect way to show my support for the players and the greater IU community.”

6 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Since HH was far from a sellout, I would expect they want this event to be an absolute splash and from the quote below, I'm thinking Cuban is underwriting it in a fairly substantial manner.  I'm betting the tickets will be very reasonable and family friendly.

“Obviously, I love Indiana University and I fully support NIL opportunities for student athletes,” Mark Cuban said. “Partnering with The Hoosier Hysterics NIL Collective and G3 to bring this event to Hoosier Nation is a perfect way to show my support for the players and the greater IU community.”

That's so great to have Cuban's backing this.

13 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

The only problem with that is who’s going to want to pay > $20 a ticket for HH 2.0 only three days before the first game of the year?

I honestly just don’t quite understand this event. If you put tickets over $20 then you’re talking close to $100 for a family of four to go to something very similar to what they just went to for free. We’re still in a pandemic, so all the autographs and everything puts our guys in close proximity to hundreds of people days before the season. If it makes the players money then great, just not sure about it. 

I don’t understand it either. It’s half a$$ed and thrown together last minute. I absolutely hate the idea of putting fans within arms length of our guys during a pandemic. This has “half the team in covid protocal” written all over it. They should have replaced Hoosier Hysteria with this and planned it out so fans could make arrangements to attend and the program could set up covid friendly pods (which they may still do) to prevent covid spread to the team. 

5 hours ago, Hoosierfanyuh said:

The only part i dont like is autographs 3 days before our first game. Everyone complaining about eric’s efforts but i dont see anyone else even attempting to help IU out with NIL and other things. Is he annoying sometimes? Yes. But so is everyone else in the world at times. Relaxxxxxxxxx

Yea, I even annoy myself sometimes.

I don't want to rehash a debate that was already put to bed about 15 hours ago, but I don't think anyone who openly doesn't like the Hysterics is harmful to the program or working against our players in any way.  I think we all are appreciative of any NIL opportunities they can create for players and what they are capable of on that front.  The issue at hand is whether or not these guys are still possibly a net negative with some of the recruit shenanigans.  We won't know until events such as this and other things from their Collective start to play themselves out more.  

Top-50 recruits with 20+ high major offers eventually have to find a reason to cut schools out until they commit to one, and I hope that nothing the HH's do provide that reason because their passion and resources are in the right place even if their execution too often isn't.  As another posted mentioned, there's no NIL opportunities for a kid who doesn't come here.

16 minutes ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

I don’t understand it either. It’s half a$$ed and thrown together last minute. I absolutely hate the idea of putting fans within arms length of our guys during a pandemic. This has “half the team in covid protocal” written all over it. They should have replaced Hoosier Hysteria with this and planned it out so fans could make arrangements to attend and the program could set up covid friendly pods (which they may still do) to prevent covid spread to the team. 

Exactly. If this had been done instead of HH then that would make sense. While similar, it does sound like there are a few twists. But HH was over a month before the season. Plenty of time to deal with any covid issues. I’m sure most if not all of our players are vaccinated, but as we know that doesn’t completely stop you from getting it. Kids under 12, the age group an event like this is largely done for, can’t get vaccinated at all yet. If you want to do a big thing like this in a pandemic then do it in early October when HH is held. Not less than three days before the first game. 

If Mark Cuban is heavily involved then that does make me feel a little better. He has a home game against Boston that night so he won’t be there, but hopefully his people are the ones running everything.  

25 minutes ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

Not picking on you, just clarifying that the team is 100% vaccinated according to Woody. Shouldn't be an issue. I also expect masks to be required by all attendees.

3 minutes ago, DWB said:

Not picking on you, just clarifying that the team is 100% vaccinated according to Woody. Shouldn't be an issue. I also expect masks to be required by all attendees.

Being vaccinated doesn’t prevent you from testing positive. It happens to athletes all the time and they (and those in direct contact with them) have to sit out a week 

We should be cutting edge NIL in every way possible.

We should be the ones who force the NCAA to adjust the NIL because on recruiting trips every high schooler wants a part of the IU NIL program.

We should be the program that graduates its players, especially if they are a Cody/Vic/Isiah early departure that comes back for the paper.

We should leverage Hollywood connections for our NIL.

Hell, Cuban oughta put the whole ******* team on Shark Tank

We should have a staff with major NBA connections.

We should have regular Kelley School financial management for athletes seminars.

If all of these things happen, we undoubtedly will win a ton of games.

I'm all for this. Sounds like the players love it as well, and honestly, that's the most important thing. 

Payers might be paid a flat fee by a Cuban like booster, and the tix revenue may be only a small factor.

Anything that makes the players happy, and creates a buzz in the recruiting world, is fine with me.

26 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

We should be cutting edge NIL every way possible.

We should be the ones who force the NCAA to adjust the NIL because on recruiting trips every high schooler wants a part of the IU NIL program.

We should be the program that graduates its players, especially if they are a Cody/Vic/Isiah early departure that comes back for the paper.

We should leverage Hollywood connections for our NIL.

Hell, Cuban oughta put the whole ******* team on Shark Tank

We should have a staff with major NBA connections.

We should have regular Kelley School financial management for athletes seminars.

If all of these things happen, we undoubtedly will win a ton of games.

On the bolded, I have always thought every single school should have these types of things for their athletes. IU should absolutely leverage this in general, but also help the players gear up to starting their own personal or group businesses (or even non-profs) post college, and help foster them beyond school. It's something that could keep them tied back to the school, and keep also keep IU in the spotlight. 

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

IMO think every student (athlete or not) should have a personal finance class requisite prior to graduation. A lot of kids have never had a checking acct, only credit cards (usually Dad's that they don't pay), and don't understand the ramifications of investing small amounts of money, money management, debt management, TAXES, etc etc.

Learning from major mistakes from poor financial decisions can be tough.

23 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Im also a fan of your line “guys aren’t going to turn down money from a guy that’s no doubt good at generating a lot of it.”

Yep.  I think a lot of people get caught up in what kind of people they wouldn't want to associate with rather than what an 18 year old who is hoping to eventually profit off his ability to put a basketball in a hoop would associate with.

17 hours ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

Random fans posting cringey nonsense is a far cry from IU cosigning on this guy’s cringeworthy behavior. This isn’t about dumb posts or tweets. It’s about a guy who’s given access to the program and it’s recruiting and making a total a$$ of himself, this university and the sports programs he posts content about. 17-18 year old kids are going to be put off by the notion that they’d be obligated to put up with and interact with these guys and they’ll have NIL opportunities everywhere. These clowns also haven’t produced a single dime for IUs athletes on record. Saying they’re doing something to benefit student athletes and actually doing it are not the same thing.  There’s no reason to put up with this. Either make him clean up his douchey act or ban him from the program. It’s very simple 

Yeah, I am around 17 and 18 year olds every day in my classroom.  I wouldn't say that level of douchery is what determines who they would hang around with.