Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

Major announcement?

44 minutes ago, FightFor6 said:

Hot take: Some of the Nancy's on this board complaining about how "creepy" EP is are a bigger detriment to the bball program than the Hysterics shtick. Sure, they produce the occasional cringe-worthy, borderline interactions. But, at least they're creating content that clearly the current players enjoy and now apparently may be providing opportunities for $$ on top of it. That's more than any of the critics on this board have done. Whether you like it or not is pointless. This is the new NIL world we all are living in so might as well get on board.

Pretty contradictory to say whether we like the dork’s schtick or not is pointless while also saying it’s detrimental to the program (which, please feel free to explain why my opinion on the dork is in any way a detriment to the program). Hopefully he gets our athletes some cash, but he’s still the dork. 

Also, if you have to announce that a take is hot, it probably isn’t. 

5 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Sure, whether it makes me uncomfortable is irrelevant. But if it makes me uncomfortable, chances are it makes some recruits uncomfortable too. He almost certainly made Jeremy Fears feel uncomfortable. And it’s completely unnecessary. Why was a middle-aged man interacting with recruits like that in the first place? Why is a middle-aged man tweeting the videos at recruits that he tweets?

Every school will be able to do NIL for their players. IU won’t be the only school with it. IU will, however, be the only school with Eric Pankowski. You think that’s a good thing. I don’t. 

Because he's about to make them money? What are you even arguing at this point aside from Eric shouldn't be involved with the program because it makes you uncomfortable? Every single Power 5 school in the country will have thousands of fans that post cringeworthy material as bad or worse than EP has posted over the years. The number that directly make athletes considerable money will likely be able to be counted on 1-2 hands. Again -- that is the ONLY thing that matters. 

20 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Pretty contradictory to say whether we like the dork’s schtick or not is pointless while also saying it’s detrimental to the program (which, please feel free to explain why my opinion on the dork is in any way a detriment to the program). Hopefully he gets our athletes some cash, but he’s still the dork. 

Also, if you have to announce that a take is hot, it probably isn’t. 

Fair -- taking the stance that you don't like the schtick isn't pointless. It's actually harmful. I don't wait on baited breath for the guy's content either, but I also recognize the potential impact on earnings for our players by having an individual with connections that is as invested as EP is to the program. Apparently, the IU athletic department and coaching staff feel similar as well. Fans that incessantly complain about how uncomfortable the interactions are from Eric are ultimately going to negatively influence player's earnings potential by advocating for less of his interaction with the program. 

I won't sign off on that perspective. How's that for a "hot" take?

27 minutes ago, FightFor6 said:

Because he's about to make them money? What are you even arguing at this point aside from Eric shouldn't be involved with the program because it makes you uncomfortable? Every single Power 5 school in the country will have thousands of fans that post cringeworthy material as bad or worse than EP has posted over the years. The number that directly make athletes considerable money will likely be able to be counted on 1-2 hands. Again -- that is the ONLY thing that matters. 

What are you arguing? That all the weird stuff he does is ok because “he’s going to directly make athletes considerable money”? Or are you arguing that that stuff isn’t weird in the first place? My position is pretty clear. I think his proclivity to seek out recruits, often in embarrassing fashion, makes him a detriment to the program. Maybe that’ll change. We’ll see what tomorrow’s big announcement is.

I don’t care how much or how little IU players make. It doesn’t affect my life at all. I just want to see IU win. If that happens then Eric can smoke as many cigars and post as many feet pics on Twitter as his heart desires. 

5 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

So let me run a little against the grain here. For some (hi Hova!) a lot against the grain.

I will start with a summary of my thoughts on Eric Pankowski handling IU’s NIL: HELL YESSS HELLLLLLLLLLL YESSSSSSSSS!!!!

Yes, Eric Pankowski pushes to the edge of the page , but the guy is a monster success as a media influencer, a hard worker, and at times, maybe even a visionary.

He takes risks, is ahead of the curve, knows how to raise and make money, works damn hard, and maybe most importantly, he sweats, bleeds, and drools Cream and Crimson.

The man is a proven success, and he’s a major asset that’s on our side.

I am more careful in my manner than most—it’s a product of what I need to be to succeed. Eric has a completely different dynamic for success; he is a bonafide Hollywood producer and originator.

My 18 year old daughter could give a rat’s @$$ about IU basketball, but if I told her the guy who created Apple TV Carpool Karaoke was handling a promotion she’d immediately think that’s the real deal. Also a WWE promoter? That’s primo stuff. 17 year old recruits and 19 year old players probably agree.

Guys like Eric aren’t afraid to take chances and they screw up now and then—that’s part of the deal. So, if you’re a middle aged guy who eats at Applebee’s, thinks we should only play Mellencamp at Assembly Hall, and packs the same sandwich for work everyday? That’s okay, but that style doesn’t contribute to beating UK and Kansas.

The NCAA has decided that capitalism is allowed in college sports—let’s roll with a guy that’s great at it.

Read the bio friends, read the bio:

https://mediaschool.indiana.edu/alumni/profiles/eric-pankowski.html

But but but... didn't we beat those guys (KY and Kansas) a lot more in the Mellencamp days? lol

19 minutes ago, FightFor6 said:

Fair -- taking the stance that you don't like the schtick isn't pointless. It's actually harmful. I don't wait on baited breath for the guy's content either, but I also recognize the potential impact on earnings for our players by having an individual with connections that is as invested as EP is to the program. Apparently, the IU athletic department and coaching staff feel similar as well. Fans that incessantly complain about how uncomfortable the interactions are from Eric are ultimately going to negatively influence player's earnings potential by advocating for less of his interaction with the program. 

I won't sign off on that perspective. How's that for a "hot" take?

If you read the thread, I actually agree with Stuhoo and yourself that he has plenty of potential to do great things for IU athletes. Unfortunately, his BS is (fairly) viewed as harmful and quite a few people don’t sign off on that themselves. 

3 hours ago, FightFor6 said:

Random fans posting cringey nonsense is a far cry from IU cosigning on this guy’s cringeworthy behavior. This isn’t about dumb posts or tweets. It’s about a guy who’s given access to the program and it’s recruiting and making a total a$$ of himself, this university and the sports programs he posts content about. 17-18 year old kids are going to be put off by the notion that they’d be obligated to put up with and interact with these guys and they’ll have NIL opportunities everywhere. These clowns also haven’t produced a single dime for IUs athletes on record. Saying they’re doing something to benefit student athletes and actually doing it are not the same thing.  There’s no reason to put up with this. Either make him clean up his douchey act or ban him from the program. It’s very simple 

12 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Sounds like a better version of Hoosier Hysteria honestly. A lot of people will get a lot out of that. 

I don’t know that it’s really “eating our own” to critique the methods.

I will say, the willingness of current players to work with these guys has made me a little more tolerant of the shtick. 

Honestly, this sounds like a Hoosier Hysteria that you have to pay money to go to. Pre-Covid times you could get player autographs at HH. They’re even doing the same events - 3 point contest, dunk contest, scrimmage. I’m sure people will go to it, but not really worth the social media hype, imo. 

The only part i dont like is autographs 3 days before our first game. Everyone complaining about eric’s efforts but i dont see anyone else even attempting to help IU out with NIL and other things. Is he annoying sometimes? Yes. But so is everyone else in the world at times. Relaxxxxxxxxx

11 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

Aggravated they don't say how much tickets are

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

“very reasonable and for those that want premium seating and are willing to pay extra, they will have that opportunity as well,“ they claim on their Twitter. Also that prices will be revealed on Friday. Pretty strange to me that they didn’t just announce prices when they announced the event. 

18 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

“very reasonable and for those that want premium seating and are willing to pay extra, they will have that opportunity as well,“ they claim on their Twitter. Also that prices will be revealed on Friday. Pretty strange to me that they didn’t just announce prices when they announced the event. 

I suspect they are still working on the forecasting of how many people @ $XX, + Premium seating, etc. I suspect they just got the OK to have the event from the staff.

IIRC other schools charge for Midnite Madness, etc. So this shouldn't be a big deal. If the tickets aren't outrageous, I plan on driving up to attend.

Ok I missed that part thanks. Very reasonable is vague lol. 20 dollars per ticket is reasonable to me but 10.00 is better. Anything over 20 is outrageous to me lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk