Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

Major announcement?

Interesting and scary. I hope Indiana has all their ducks in a row. I hope someone is overseeing the Hysterics guys from a legal standpoint.

Will also be interesting to see if a 3 year composite shows we improve our recruiting standing or if we stay relatively the same ranking wise. Seems the cream of the crop will remain. Can we join them?

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

19 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Interesting and scary. I hope Indiana has all their ducks in a row. I hope someone is overseeing the Hysterics guys from a legal standpoint.

Will also be interesting to see if a 3 year composite shows we improve our recruiting standing or if we stay relatively the same ranking wise. Seems the cream of the crop will remain. Can we join them?

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

My feelings about The Dorks aside, IU compliance is very ahead of/involved in all NIL stuff and has been since well before it became official so I wouldn’t be too worried. As I understand it, all NIL opportunities still flow through the school and by way of the OpenDorse deal. Their ducks are very in a row. 

24 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

So let me run a little against the grain here. For some (hi Hova!) a lot against the grain.

I will start with a summary of my thoughts on Eric Pankowski handling IU’s NIL: HELL YESSS HELLLLLLLLLLL YESSSSSSSSS!!!!

Yes, Eric Pankowski pushes to the edge of the page , but the guy is a monster success as a media influencer, a hard worker, and at times, maybe even a visionary.

He takes risks, is ahead of the curve, knows how to raise and make money, works damn hard, and maybe most importantly, he sweats, bleeds, and drools Cream and Crimson.

The man is a proven success, and he’s a major asset that’s on our side.

I am more careful in my manner than most—it’s a product of what I need to be to succeed. Eric has a completely different dynamic for success; he is a bonafide Hollywood producer and originator.

My 18 year old daughter could give a rat’s @$$ about IU basketball, but if I told her the guy who created Apple TV Carpool Karaoke was handling a promotion she’d immediately think that’s the real deal. Also a WWE promoter? That’s primo stuff. 17 year old recruits and 19 year old players probably agree.

Guys like Eric aren’t afraid to take chances and they screw up now and then—that’s part of the deal. So, if you’re a middle aged guy who eats at Applebee’s, thinks we should only play Mellencamp at Assembly Hall, and packs the same sandwich for work everyday? That’s okay, but that style doesn’t contribute to beating UK and Kansas.

The NCAA has decided that capitalism is allowed in college sports—let’s roll with a guy that’s great at it.

Read the bio friends, read the bio:

https://mediaschool.indiana.edu/alumni/profiles/eric-pankowski.html

I don’t disagree with any of this, but things like what he did to Jeremy Fears trump nearly all of that, in my opinion. He would be one of the biggest unaffiliated assets in college athletics if it weren’t for things like that and I can’t look past it. Someone in the department needs to nip things like that yesterday or, again just my opinion, none of the positives (which do exist!) matter. 

1 hour ago, coonhounds said:

Can someone explain whats wrong with the hysterics I literally know nothing about them

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The Eric guy has had a number of uncomfortable interactions with potential recruits. He won’t ever be the reason why a recruit picks IU, but he very well could be the reason they don’t, imho. His tweets at Dawson Garcia were extremely off putting. Just a few weeks ago at the Cincy game he had an uncomfortable interaction with 2023 recruit Jeremy Fears. He either completely lacks any self-awareness and doesn’t realize how uncomfortable the situations he creates are, or he does realize it and just straight up doesn’t give a ****  

He’s like a kid following around his favorite celebrity hoping he gets a picture with them, only he’s the grown man in the situation and the people he’s bothering are teenagers. As a school, you can’t really control what random fans on Twitter do, but you can control who you go into business with. I think he’s a liability, and I think it’s an awful decision by IU getting into business with him, but they obviously see it differently. Time will tell. 

Here’a a fairly tame example. 

“Holly, we may have to have a kid so we can name him Jalen Kenya Hood-Schifino Pankowski.” 

Posted after Jalen committed. Tried to tag him, but luckily looks like he tagged an old account. People have different reactions to this kind of thing I suppose, but the only reaction I’ve ever had to a video he’s done has been “oh god please make it stop.” His bio may sound great, but potential recruits aren’t going to be reading his bio. They’re going to be scrolling through Twitter and wondering why is this IU-affiliated middle-aged man tweeting at me about getting matching bff tattoos and naming his kids after me.

Despite whatever success Pankowski has had in Looneywood, he gets way out of line for recruits. Goes way overboard and without any class IMO. 

Its great to be passionate about your fan-dom and all. But his tweets to Garcia were juvenile, at best.

He's been able to ingratiate himself somewhat with the coaching staff and the podcast, but my perception is that he thinks he's "on the inside" when in reality, he's just another "media guy" they have to contend with.

Seems you either like him a lot, or dislike him a lot. The podcasts are OK in my book, but not some of the other stuff he pulls.

Just my 2¢

Some loose cannons become very successful.  Some loose cannons do well until they go overboard in spectacular fashion.  Personally I feel this guy will fall in category 2.

But at this point it seems to have the players excited, so I'll get behind it.

16 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Hey guys?

So, so true he goes overboard sometimes!

People that are really good at marketing roll the dice and are over the top at times. That’s reality. And that’s okay.

If by ‘at times’ you mean almost every time he’s on camera, sure. He’s not the only good marketing guy out there. But he’s the only one I’ve ever seen corner a recruit and tell him to ‘blink twice’ if he thinks X school he just visited sucks. 

I have no idea what he’s like when the cameras are off. The only image I have of him is the one he’s gone to great lengths to put forwarding on camera. The image he’s put forward is that of a clown who, at any given moment, is capable of embarrassing himself and everyone he’s affiliated with. 

He ‘rolls the dice’ in ways that really aren’t appropriate. I don’t know who in the IU administration watched this video and thought ‘yup, this is the guy I want marketing for us.’