Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

DWB

Practice differences under Woody

How do I cancel my premium subscription??? I originally canceled in June and I have launched 2-3 support requests for this premium account to be canceled but I’m still getting charged. This has been happening since May. I know $12 isn’t a lot, but it’s getting pretty annoying that no one will help me and I cannot find a way to change my billing information.
Probably message one of the mods

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

Phin absolutely can shoot. He just hasn’t shown it consistently yet. That has a lot to do with confidence, being put in the right position on the court and late in game, stamina. No one can shoot under Archie’s offense. I’ll hold off judgment until I see how our guys mesh under this new system 

I don’t think I agree regarding Phinisee being able to shoot. While we did struggle shooting the ball under Archie, not everyone struggled as much as Rob. Last year Franklin shot 42% from 3 and 74% from the line. Durham shot 38% from 3 and 79% from the line. Compare that to Phinisee who shot 26% from 3 and 64% from the line. That was below the team average on both 3s and free throws, and we were a below average shooting team as a whole. Of guys who took at least one 3 a game last year, only Galloway shot worse.

He has games where he shoots well, but they’ve been few and far between. We have an 86 game sample size that shows he’s a poor shooter from 2, from 3, and from the line. Through 3 years he has a TS% of 45.4%. That’s honestly absolutely atrocious. Could he improve in a new system? Certainly. But I’m not counting on it. He has a lot of ground to make up to become a serviceable offensive player. We’ll see what happens. 

After a busy spring and a 5 month break on here I am back and ready to go for the season! I will be there in person on November 9th for Woody's debut. I was unfortunately present for Archie's so I hope this one goes better. I'm holding off on crazy expectations this year. However, I do think the culture is changing. The Bahamas trip was a pretty good idea. 

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

A couple of things I have noticed is the practice is a lot more up-tempo. They run a lot more than they did in the last few years. All drills are fast-paced.

They shoot more 3's than in previous years, which we all know is a good thing. I think the shooting has improved just because a lot more shots are going up. 

From just my eyesight everyone seems to like each other and root for each other. Now it's early and there hasn't been any adversity yet but positive so far.

Rob battling X  every day is fun to watch and only going to make everyone better. 

It's going to be interesting to see who steps up to get PT after TJD, Race, Miller, Pstew, Rob, Xavier, Scoop, and Gerinamo or we just go with 8.

I really like Woody, but I tend to like all coaches but he does a great job, and he surrounds himself with basketball guys. Woody, Hunter, Fife, Ya, Hill, Matta, Walsh all basketball guys. Even the GM's are really good. 

From practices/scrimmages, are you seeing:

- More of the he-who-rebounds-brings-the-ball-up thing? How are fast-breaks tending to be initiated? 

- point guard / primary on-ball play, what kind of role (increased?) are you seeing Lander in, how is the pg/on-ball play being distributed (ok, pun intended), anything new since the exhibitions?

While I have no details about what goes on in practice, some of the things I've heard Woodson (and others on the coaching staff) say are encouraging to me.

For example, I've heard the phrase "player development" repeatedly since Woodson was hired. In all of Archie's tenure, I don't remember ever hearing that phrase applied to IU basketball. Woody has also said, "It's my job to help him succeed," when he's talked about the potential of Geronimo, the evolution of TJD (and others). He's also talked about it being "my job to put them into a spot where they can succeed" when mentioning Kopp and Stewart on their 3-point shooting. We NEVER heard similar jargon in the Miller era.

AND the players' lack of improvement individually the past four years reinforces the idea we have not had any priorities on "player development." Franklin and Thompson may have improved, but I suspect their individual efforts are more to thank for that than any individual improvement plans the previous regime might have offered. How much individual improvement did anyone else see in the rest of the roster? I saw very little. That's why I'm so encouraged by how much we're hearing about it now. 

I love hearing about practices and how they are run.  Please keep it coming.

Everything seems very positive but then PTSD kicks in and I have horrible flashbacks of reading the very positive posts in regards to the greatly improved practices run by hard-nosed, defensive minded, no-turnovers, play-hard Archie :( :( :( :( 

58 minutes ago, incrediboy said:

While I have no details about what goes on in practice, some of the things I've heard Woodson (and others on the coaching staff) say are encouraging to me.

For example, I've heard the phrase "player development" repeatedly since Woodson was hired. In all of Archie's tenure, I don't remember ever hearing that phrase applied to IU basketball. Woody has also said, "It's my job to help him succeed," when he's talked about the potential of Geronimo, the evolution of TJD (and others). He's also talked about it being "my job to put them into a spot where they can succeed" when mentioning Kopp and Stewart on their 3-point shooting. We NEVER heard similar jargon in the Miller era.

AND the players' lack of improvement individually the past four years reinforces the idea we have not had any priorities on "player development." Franklin and Thompson may have improved, but I suspect their individual efforts are more to thank for that than any individual improvement plans the previous regime might have offered. How much individual improvement did anyone else see in the rest of the roster? I saw very little. That's why I'm so encouraged by how much we're hearing about it now. 

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/armaan-franklins-freshman-to-sophomore-evolution-was-driven-by-his-family/

Franklin made his big jump between seasons. That article makes it sound as though it had very little to do with Miller and company. 

I have a feeling Miller's practices focused on the system and not individual skills. Basically the opposite of Crean.